[GINGERBREAD][EL30] Official EL30 Gingerbread Samsung Epic 4g

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, I have been away from quirking my device for about 2 months. Please refresh my memory.
I'm on EI22, and rooted & haven't gotten the update yet.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but if I wanted to manually update:
I would have to Odin and reinstall EI22 (to unroot) then apply the update.zip file posted in the 1st post. correct?

Also, someone mentioned early in the thread that they were having problems receiving calls (FCs). Has anyone else had this problem? I want to know if this is a major problem before I attempt to install.

Thx.

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, I have been away from quirking my device for about 2 months. Please refresh my memory.
I would have to Odin and reinstall EI22 (to unroot) then apply the update.zip file posted in the 1st post. correct?

Also, someone mentioned early in the thread that they were having problems receiving calls (FCs). Has anyone else had this problem? I want to know if this is a major problem before I attempt to install.

Thx.

Yes, you need to ODIN back to EC05, apply the update to EI22 and then go ahead and apply the update to EL30 (it's already out and you don't have to wait for the OTA). Then you will want to flash the new kernel, CWM 5.2.0.7, Superuser, and the EI22 GPS Fix.

Reactions: ShaLea

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I proposed two solutions...

Are you suggesting I reinstall EI22 or modding the GPS fix zip file with the original gpsd file and reapplying it?

If running the GPS fix with the original gpsd file is advised, does anyone know where I can get the original gpsd file? If you have it handy please post it :)

EDIT: If anyone is looking for the original gpsd file it is posted here xda-developers - View Single Post - Direct google link to download EL30 update here!

Here's my story. After my OTA failed this morning because of the GPS fix I installed, I looked around for other users with the problem and found this post as well.

xda-developers - View Single Post - Direct google link to download EL30 update here!

The only thing was that after trying the remove zip the update failed as well so I took the above original GPS file from EL22 posted in the quote and replaced it in the original GPS fix zip script.

Then took the official EL22 to EL30 update file, renamed it to update.zip threw it on the root of my SD card and used the stock android recovery to manually update (because no matter what I did I coult not get the OTA to push again).

Worked like a charm for me (did not get the dreaded error 7 failing on the original gps file check) and the GPS seems to work in Telenav without a lockup at least that I tested and i can see 12 gps sats! If anyone wants to try I've attached my version here.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just did the exact same thing. I used the oldgps.zip file from the previous post rather than the one posted at xda.

Everything seemed to go smoothly. Now the only question is if the GPS works well enough for me or if I'll need to reapply the GPS fix.

I'm most nervouse about this because after some initial GPS pains with EI22 my GPS suddenly became ROCK SOLID. If it wasn't for some major, unfixable calendar sync issues I wouldn't have even bothered with EL30. Unfortunately, the update did not resolve this problem so I factory reset may very well be in my future... I really wanted to avoid that!

I experienced another problem after installing EL30 that pissed me off. I couldn't access any of the apps installed on my SD card. They were all grayed out and when I tried to open them I got an error to the effect of "this application is not installed." I thought I was going to have to reinstall all those apps along with possibly losing all their settings and data. Fortunately, after about five minutes all these apps came back and everything is back to normal.

Only thing left is to give the GPS a spin and see how it works and confirm that the keyboard skipping is finally gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando991

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all! Just saw this on XDA, this is ONLY for users running MTD ROMs that do not want to wipe back to stock:

It's a new recovery created by CM dev wtogami for those that do not want to install the full EL30 ROM............ this allows MTD ROMs to flash MODEM deltas ONLY, including the EI22-to-EL30 update.zip, without having to ODIN to EC05......you must have kexec, so all CM7 Nightlies, #12 + above are set.......here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1463400

ALSO, once you're on EL30: for more advanced users, wtogami swiftly created an Unusual ROM (you'll see!) that allows you to go back to Stock EL30 just long enough to Update Profile + Update PRL, then *presto* you're back to your MTD set-up......excellent for those of us on CM7!! Here is the link:

[MTD][EL30][KEXEC][CM7] Boot EL30 stock from sdcard - xda-developers

It just keeps getting better guys!

*Hope this is the right place to announce this, could be helpful to users on MTD that are unsure whether to upgrade.........mods, please move if you wish :) *

Last edited:

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I just did the exact same thing. I used the oldgps.zip file from the previous post rather than the one posted at xda.

Everything seemed to go smoothly. Now the only question is if the GPS works well enough for me or if I'll need to reapply the GPS fix.

I'm most nervouse about this because after some initial GPS pains with EI22 my GPS suddenly became ROCK SOLID. If it wasn't for some major, unfixable calendar sync issues I wouldn't have even bothered with EL30. Unfortunately, the update did not resolve this problem so I factory reset may very well be in my future... I really wanted to avoid that!

I experienced another problem after installing EL30 that pissed me off. I couldn't access any of the apps installed on my SD card. They were all grayed out and when I tried to open them I got an error to the effect of "this application is not installed." I thought I was going to have to reinstall all those apps along with possibly losing all their settings and data. Fortunately, after about five minutes all these apps came back and everything is back to normal.

Only thing left is to give the GPS a spin and see how it works and confirm that the keyboard skipping is finally gone.

I use my phone in a corporate environment and have no issues with exchange calendar sync and email. My GPS seems to be working okay, no lockups with Telenav. Your SD issue could be because you didn't give the phone enough time to scan the SD card after removing either a USB cable or boot?

Just a thought.

SenseiMP

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Then took the official EL22 to EL30 update file, renamed it to update.zip threw it on the root of my SD card and used the stock android recovery to manually update (because no matter what I did I coult not get the OTA to push again).

Worked like a charm for me (did not get the dreaded error 7 failing on the original gps file check) and the GPS seems to work in Telenav without a lockup at least that I tested and i can see 12 gps sats! If anyone wants to try I've attached my version here.

Thanks! That one (oldgps.zip) worked for me, whereas Remove_GPS_Fix.zip from xda-developers did not. For what it's worth, here are my early impressions of EL30:

• When I reverted back to the EI22 gpsd, I would lock to 4 or 5 satellites. With EL30, I got 5 (though it did lock pretty quickly). For comparison sake: I got 10 or 11 satellites when I had applied GPS_Fix on EI22, in that same spot in front of my house earlier tonight. So I don't see any improvement. I'll monitor it as time goes on, hoping for no freezes/restarts. I may just re-apply GPS_Fix at some point.
  • Consider me lucky, I have not had any issues with incoming calls.
  • I see that EL30 STILL doesn't include the ability to video chat in Google Talk, as was supposed to be available in Android 2.3.4 and above.

Reactions: rando991

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

I think you'll find that you will want to reapply the EI22 GPS fix. I did on both our phones and am very pleased with the results.

WestEgg

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to weigh in that I have had a Epic 4G since it first came out. Have had to do factory restores when I updated to Froyo & Gingerbread bc of issues, but didn't have to do one (yet) for this update. Tried the incoming calls and they seem to be working fine, although the new answer swipe is a little weird. Overall feels a bit faster for me, maybe it's just the placebo of knowing CIQ is gone.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Thx.

Yes, you need to ODIN back to EC05, apply the update to EI22 and then go ahead and apply the update to EL30 (it's already out and you don't have to wait for the OTA). Then you will want to flash the new kernel, CWM 5.2.0.7, Superuser, and the EI22 GPS Fix.

Thanks so much. Please confirm my steps:
Do I:
1-Odin back to EC05
2-Rename my zip file (EC05 to EI22) to update.zip
3-Run update.zip
4-Rename my zip file (EI22 to EL30) to update.zip
5-Run update.zip
6-Run Kernel-GB-3a.tar via Odin
7-Run CWM5.0.2.7 via Odin
8-Run Superuser via CWM
9-Run GPS fix

2 questions -
+Do all the .tar files go in the PDA slot on Odin.
+the CWM is .tar.md5 - Do I remove the .md5?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much. Please confirm my steps:
Do I:
1-Odin back to EC05
2-Rename my zip file (EC05 to EI22) to update.zip
3-Run update.zip
4-Rename my zip file (EI22 to EL30) to update.zip
5-Run update.zip
6-Run Kernel-GB-3a.tar via Odin
7-Run CWM5.0.2.7 via Odin
8-Run Superuser via CWM
9-Run GPS fix

2 questions -
+Do all the .tar files go in the PDA slot on Odin.
+the CWM is .tar.md5 - Do I remove the .md5?

Thanks so much!!

Everything looks correct in your steps.. I know its alot of work but until there is an official TAR for EI22 or EL30 thats the painful process..

Second... Yes TAR's go in the PDA slot, no need to remove the .md5.

[ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

The above link explains it all.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I think you'll find that you will want to reapply the EI22 GPS fix. I did on both our phones and am very pleased with the results.

For sure. Considering how good EI22 was for me (with GPS fix) EL30 turned out to be a disaster. I applied the fix last night and will see how things go.

bdh7777

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Just got it this morning. Voice call and voice mail broken. When a call comes in, I would get the force close on com.android.com. Once I choose force close, I can see the radio resetting. Voice mail won't automatically play. I can mute and trash, but the play/pause button is grayed out. I did a battery pull and still same problem.

This is the first time I've had OTA problem and have never rooted it. If I have to do a factory reset, I might as well root and flash. :-\

Same thing happened to me this a.m. I'm getting force close on incoming calls. No problem w/ outgoing, only incoming. Doesn't show caller ID, basically blacked out screen... Should I do a manual re-load of EL30? I'm very new to this... Thanks!
B.

Also, if I have to do a factory reset, how do I save all my info to reload? Thanks again!

UPDATE:
PROBLEM SOLVED:
I wanted to write you back to let you know I spoke w/ Sprint, and the "fix" is much simpler. The fix is to go to the MENU, then SETTINGS, then CALL SETTINGS, then REJECT WITH MESSAGE... Once you get here, the likelihood is that there are more than 5 reject messages... Any message not needed should be deleted; 5 max remaining. Once that is complete, power down, restart, and test. All should be well. It worked on mine very easily...

Last edited:

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
For backing up your data before doing the hard reset...
(Disclaimer: this probably not the most efficient way, but it is effective)

Contacts and calendar entries - Please tell me they're synced to Google already...if not, they can be exported to your SD card and imported into your Gmail account via a computer

Call log and SMS Backups - Download 2 apps from the market called "SMS Backup and Restore" and I thI think the other's called "Call log Backup" or something like that. They are from the same developer"

Apps BACKUP - I use AppSaver from the Market. It saves apps to your SD card. (Make sure you backup LAppSaver itself otherwise, you'll have to get it from the Market again)

If you care about your voicemails and have the latest update to the vmail app, there is an option to save msgs to the SDcard, as well.

Once all this backed up to Google and your SDcard, it is recommended that you also back up your entire SD card to your computer.

After all of this backing up and before actually doing the reset, turn off the phone, remove the sd card, turn it back on and do the reset.*

If you have a spare sd card is empty or has invaluable, expendable data that you don't care about losing on it, place that in instead then, turn on and do the reset.

*I have not personally tried this. An SD card "may" be required to complete the process. I did the whole expendable sd card thing.

After the reset, it'll be like you just bought the phone today. So, you will need to restore all of your apps using AppSaver or equivalent, and once restored, the other apps to restore your Call log and Texts. You will need to resync your Google acct and any other emails accts and start afresh on any bookmarks.

(All the apps I mentioned are free (well, they have paid versions, but the free ones work just fine for these purposes.)

Anyone, please feel free to confirm, deny, accept, reject, most importantly, correct or expound on anything I have typed. (Barring grammar or syntax, as I'm typing from my phone.)

~Regards

Same thing happened to me this a.m. I'm getting force close on incoming calls. No problem w/ outgoing, only incoming. Doesn't show caller ID, basically blacked out screen... Should I do a manual re-load of EL30? I'm very new to this... Thanks!
B.

Also, if I have to do a factory reset, how do I save all my info to reload? Thanks again!

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of the AppSaver before but this might be just what I've been looking for.

If you know, can you compare this with Titanium Backup (just the backup features). My understanding is that you need to root in order to do a complete backup & restore which is what Titanium is widely used for. Are you saying AppSaver will save all of your apps to SD, even the ones you can't run from SD, and then reinstall them?

If so, will you lose your data & settings or does it backup/restore all that too?

What about apps that are already installed to your SD card? Will those just repopulate when you use the same SD card or do you need to use this app to reinstall them even though they're already on the card?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
For others still having the incoming voice call issue, it was recommended in the Sprint forum that paring down your list of Reject with Message to less than 5 will resolve that issue. Many tried it and it worked.

I recommend rebooting afterwards, too.