Help Need: Phone Won't Power Up - AT ALL

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

Any thoughts, recommendations, comments to help are greatly appreciated.

Here's what happened:

This morning I disconnected the Wall Charger from the wall and then phone.

I began to power the phone down so that I can exchange batteries (instead of using the OEM for the day, I wanted to use a different battery).

I put in the new battery and to my dismay, the phone did not power up AT ALL and has not since.

In hindsight, it appears that I pulled that battery out before the phone's power down cycle was completed, as I did not experience the single haptic feedback vibration that follows shut down.

Is my phone a handsome paperweight at this point?

I tried :

A) "volume down/power button" and "vol down, power, camera" combinations

B) putting on the charger again to power up

C) putting the OEM battery back in and "A" and "B"

I am FC09 stock, non-rooted.

Any thoughts before I head out to my Service Provider at 4pm EST?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Interesting..

Have you tried plugging it into USB source or wall adapter and powering the phone on while plugged in?

If so thats about the last thing I can think of out of everything you mentioned.

If it did brick, then this has got to be about the strangest way of obtaining a brick! Man that stinks.

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
..Yes, tell me about :) and thank you for your swift response.

I tried the wall adapter, but I haven't tried USB, as of yet and may not get the opportunity to do so, as I am still at work.

I'm going to head to the Service Provider and see if they can do some more technical trouble-shooting before I empty my pockets.

I am eligible for an upgrade, but I'm not ready to leave the Epic 4g, so I'll pay the insurance to have it replaced, if necesary (bittersweet).

I'll provide an update.

Thanks, again.

Interesting..

Have you tried plugging it into USB source or wall adapter and powering the phone on while plugged in?

If so thats about the last thing I can think of out of everything you mentioned.

If it did brick, then this has got to be about the strangest way of obtaining a brick! Man that stinks.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have the insurance, and there is no signs of water damage or physical abuse, there should be no cost to you, as it is an electrical failure which is covered under the warranty. I'm quite tempted to see if what you did is a weak spot of the Epic, but I will need to make sure my backup phone is working still.

Come to think of it, I was unplugging the USB cable when my last Epic did the same thing yours just did... But I'm pretty sure I waited for the sd card to unmount (the single vibrate).

Reactions: Tahe

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Other things to try:

Remove the sd card and battery and try to boot with power button or three-finger salute.

See if you can get it into download mode, hold down the 1 key on the keyboard and hit the power button.

Last night I was trying to get the sprint update on my rooted phone and yanked the usb cable when the process seemed to freeze. It was dead dead dead. I think that ultimately removing the sd card and rebooting to download mode get it moving again.

Reactions: cvelez_08 and Tahe

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have the insurance, and there is no signs of water damage or physical abuse, there should be no cost to you, as it is an electrical failure which is covered under the warranty. I'm quite tempted to see if what you did is a weak spot of the Epic, but I will need to make sure my backup phone is working still.

Come to think of it, I was unplugging the USB cable when my last Epic did the same thing yours just did... But I'm pretty sure I waited for the sd card to unmount (the single vibrate).

Thank you for your comments, Ratsttam. Well, I'm typing from a replacement Epic. I have insurance but my service is provided through my old college as is sort like a "Government account". While there are perks in other areas, there is a $100 deductible on insurance claims for smart phones.

To my surprise, the rep at the store was able to power up phone on by something that I was doing all day (removing the battery, wait a few secs, mins, put it back in). However, when she powered the phone back down, the same thing I experienced initially occurred.

She surmised that the Power button functionality was wearing and didn't rule it out as a possibility, but did express some doubt that what I did was true culprit. To be on the safe side, I ordered the replacement.

I do know one thing from all of this...I will definitely wait until the single vibrate before pulling the battery.

I would hate for anyone to be inconvenienced about the matter, but I too am curious to know if that is a weak spot for the Epic.

Thanks, again.

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Other things to try:

Remove the sd card and battery and try to boot with power button or three-finger salute.

See if you can get it into download mode, hold down the 1 key on the keyboard and hit the power button.

Last night I was trying to get the sprint update on my rooted phone and yanked the usb cable when the process seemed to freeze. It was dead dead dead. I think that ultimately removing the sd card and rebooting to download mode get it moving again.

Thanks for your suggestions and input, Boocephus. I ended up getting a replacement. My update on that is in the post above.

But removing the sd card and battery to do the 3 finger salute was one thing I didn't try.

Good to know some other things to try in case something similar happens to me or someone else.

Thanks, again.

cvelez_08

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Other things to try:

I was having the very same problem. All the sprint representatives I spoke with suggested I wipe my memory, which is not something I can't afford to do. You just saved my memory with the three-finger salute suggestion. Thank you very much! :D