Taking the Plunge. Studentrate discount/misc help?

mooshubob

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, first post :)

I've been an iOS user since I spent $600 on the first iPhone waaaay back in 2007. After upgrading to the 3G two years ago, I've become pretty disillusioned about Apple/their philosophy/the "walled garden" as it were, and I'm ready to take the plunge into the Android community with the Epic 4G on Sprint.

I'm also a huge jailbreak/root (what have you) enthusiast, meaning the customizability of Android as a whole is pretty fascinating :p

I've chosen Sprint for several reasons - I'm currently on a family plan with my parents, and the prices/tiered data rates are just getting to be a bother, especially with AT&T's crappy coverage near Berkeley (where I go to school). Also, SF/the East Bay is slated to enter Clearwire's WiMax coverage pretty soon. Exciting.

Now, a few questions I have about the process, especially pertaining to the StudentRate discount that is being offered for the Epic:

1) It would be my dad and I moving to the Sprint Simply Everything Family plan (he wants the Evo), so how would I go about informing StudentRate that I need to order two phones while I file my pre-order for the Epic?

2) How would I go about porting my number? I'm only familiar with the method on Sprint's website, which consists of "buying" two numbers and assigning them to phones...any help in clearing this up would be appreciated!

3) Bit off topic, but does anyone else who is familiar with the iOS regime know if it's at all possible to move, say, my SMS's off of my iPhone onto the Epic? I'd love to be able to keep all of the ones I have in one place. Otherwise, is it possible to simply move them off of the iPhone and onto my computer?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to throwing together some of my impressions of the phone from a more technical standpoint after I receive it!

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Dude, sign up at StudentRate and post your question there. It seems like a small operation over there and they seem to be able to work out people's custom orders and whatnot.