Will Epic slider hold up?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Can someone post a video showing home much play there is. I don't want to get a bum unit thanks

I would post it, but I don't remember which review had it. Look up reviews on youtube and check the videos from Phonedog, Engadget, and perhaps even AndroidCentral.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife's has a lot less play than mine. Personally, I think spring actioned sliders on plastic phones are the problem.

Touch Pro 2- little to no spring action- Moto Droid 1- same thing- you either want hard to open, or easy- but you settle for a bit of play.

Long as it doesn't get worse, I'm fine with it. Still like opening it better than the droid 1.

Dochas

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My wife's has a lot less play than mine. Personally, I think spring actioned sliders on plastic phones are the problem.

Touch Pro 2- little to no spring action- Moto Droid 1- same thing- you either want hard to open, or easy- but you settle for a bit of play.

Long as it doesn't get worse, I'm fine with it. Still like opening it better than the droid 1.

Plastic + Spring has me slightly concerned but I really didn't like the effort it took to open the springless Droid 2.

Hopefully a couple weeks of early adopters running them through daily routines and reporting back will boost my confidence in the build quality.

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not a good gauge of quality control, but the display model I played with @ a local Sprint store yest had a sloppy slider.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Epic today, and it is already twisting. The slider is loose and rattles when I type with the QWERTY. Might be a bad unit though. May return it if I can't get used to it over the next several days.

I noticed the same rattling while typing. It's starting to bug me.

akt83

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
No rattling here, but I the top left does seem to a wiggle a little...if it gets noticeably worse, I'm going to try to exchange for a new one.

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The 'wiggle' you guys are referring to,if its what I have in mine, was about the same on my moment. It never got any worse and I wouldn't be concerned about it unless we are talking big gaps or twitsts.

sent from my Epic through the cosmos

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
?! I swear I have the best Epic in the world right now! No GPS issues, no software issues, no play in the keyboard...hmmm.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Moment right now (Epic coming Friday), and the slider on that has held up great. I'm not very nice to my phone either. So if the Epic has the same build quality as the Moment for the slider, I'm happy.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Moment right now (Epic coming Friday), and the slider on that has held up great. I'm not very nice to my phone either. So if the Epic has the same build quality as the Moment for the slider, I'm happy.

Build quality is fabulous IMO. I ripped off a case today (by accident! I didn't mean to be harsh, I swear :D), not one scratch, nor any problems with the screen part of the slider. :)

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to head in to the Sprint store today just to compare. Mine seems fine but I am a bit nit-picky. I expect top tier products when I pay top tier price.

Cali, aside from my concern my phone has also been problem free. GPS works, capacitive buttons always respond, etc. I have no doubt that it's a good phone. I'd just hate for it to have a short life due to a crappy slider design.

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Well there were two display units at my local Sprint. One was a bit loose and the other was tight. The one that was "loose" only wiggled a bit when the phone was open. You were able to jiggle the top/side of the screen a bit where as the other felt like it had no play and was solid.

My device has a bit of wiggle to it but I'm not sure if it's something that deems replacing.

nc2nc2

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Got my Epic today, and it is already twisting. The slider is loose and rattles when I type with the QWERTY. Might be a bad unit though. May return it if I can't get used to it over the next several days.

Take it back! My first one was the same way, so I took it back. The new one I have is solid.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Great! Mine's starting to show a bit of screen separation and thre actually is a bit of play when the phone is open.

Sent from my awesome Epic 4G