Battery Life Issues

kalius

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having battery life problems in their new Epic?

My battery just died after about 6 hours of idle, gps,wifi, bluetooth,4g all turned off.

Only gmail updating on the background.

I have followed the guides to increase battery life, any ideas?

I'm only expecting about the same I got from my pre..

Also 4g randomly disconnects and the only way to reconnect is to turn 4g off then on, any other options? I'm on Seattle, it's all covered here with 4g it shouldn't be a signal issue.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Similar issue here. Went from fully charged to brink in less than 4 hours. No 4G in South Florida but everything was turned off except Exchange Sync.

Malefickus

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Do you have weak signal?

Just curious because on my Epic, I went all day yesterday doing many things such as watching Sprint TV, texting, browing, calling, playing Asphalt 5, etc, and phone didn't complain at all it was low on battery until well after I'd gone to bed (it woke me up with its complaint lol). I've even turned on use the wireless networks for the GPS, which'll use more battery, and haven't taken any preemptive steps to prevent battery usage other than using the built in task manager to end programs that I'm no longer using.

Anyways, I'm not a very technical person, but the only thing I can think of is since I have an Airave in my apartment, I typically get great signal. I'm sure that plays a small portion in battery life.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Sammy has a widget to tell you current battery load with apps. I highly recommend using it. See it in the yellow/red, open it up and kill what you don't need. I'm not a huge fan of task managers, but theirs works very well and leaves all widgets still running up to date.

thacounty

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
If anything is disconnecting and reconnecting it will diminish battery life. Also make sure you dont have a wake lock. That would cause a 6 hour drain.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You can try turning the screen brightness down. I have mine set to automatic (default) and haven't had an issue.... My only complaint is that I couldn't fully charge it yesterday. Once I did get the notification to charge it, I put it in its dock and continued using it and it got up to 83%, but never fully charged. I left it over night and its charged now. Definitely doesn't charge as fast as the Hero :/

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You can try turning the screen brightness down. I have mine set to automatic (default) and haven't had an issue.... My only complaint is that I couldn't fully charge it yesterday. Once I did get the notification to charge it, I put it in its dock and continued using it and it got up to 83%, but never fully charged. I left it over night and its charged now. Definitely doesn't charge as fast as the Hero :/

I wasn't able to charge over night after it bricked. It's off and wall charging now. I won't turn it on until it's done. Then I can see how it performs during the day.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't able to charge over night after it bricked. It's off and wall charging now. I won't turn it on until it's done. Then I can see how it performs during the day.

Check the awake time... I don't think it will be visible on this phone. Might want to see if there is an app for it in the market. I used to be able to see if the awake time was close to the uptime. If thats the case, then you have wake lock. Uptime is just how long its been since you turned it on. Awake time is the amount of time its doing something and having to stay awake (not necessarily turning the screen off).

kalius

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Cell standby and phone idle consumed 90% of the battery.

I have between 3 to 4 bars at home.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: