Signal Bar Glitch or problem?

Awakened1

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I've had my Epic for about a week and noticed some strange problems with the signal bar icon. I will go from having 3-4 bars in one spot down to 0 randomly and was wondering if anybody else shared this problem. I was using my phone today and saw that it happened while browsing the web but even at 0 bars I was able to browse the web without any problems. I was just curious if anybody else shared this problem or noticed it, thanks!

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
normally signal bars should be take with a grain of salt. but my time searching for signal, time without signal is very very high on Epic, and what is crazy-- is it is worse since the update!
This means loss of connectivity, slower time to first ring, and a beating for the battery.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
normally signal bars should be take with a grain of salt. but my time searching for signal, time without signal is very very high on Epic, and what is crazy-- is it is worse since the update!
This means loss of connectivity, slower time to first ring, and a beating for the battery.

I agree. My Epic was having signal issues as well, but you're correct about the signal bars as well. Those bars don't mean much.

jd195

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried toggling airplane mode on then off? If I recall correctly, the high "time without signal" is due to something wierd in the programming that makes it want to look for a CDMA signal. Granted, this is what I remember reading randomly one day so I have no sources to back this up, however, I'm sitting at 3% time without signal on 8 hours of being unplugged (from 70% start power, for those of you counting battery time) which corresponds to about the time i'd expect between dead zones at work and home.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I find the reception to be better than my pre or hero, despite the bars being much lower all the time. I never get dropped calls and network speed is always decent.

Awakened1

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I personally haven't had any dropped calls yet though I'm not sure if this glitch has occured during any of my calls though. Hopefully it's just the signal bars glitching and not the actual radio having trouble.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I personally haven't had any dropped calls yet though I'm not sure if this glitch has occured during any of my calls though. Hopefully it's just the signal bars glitching and not the actual radio having trouble.

Had my first dropped call today... Hold the press, jump on the podcast! This phones radio isn't strong enough to stop other phones from losing signals in elevators! How dare Samsung release this phone too early....

:p

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
yes the toogle airplaine works but only until reset.

No question worse reception, as the concensus is.

I did some tests with my airave yesterday and today using Touch Pro, Treo Pro and a Pre. In walk away tests the Epci lost signal about 30% sooner than all of those handsets.

Because of the 3G limits I have also been doing a lot of testing with speed test in same location with several devices and even download consistently lower and more subject to drop on Epic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch