EVO vs EPIC EVDO and WIFI Speed Test

cbpagent72

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have had multiple issues with the WIFI on my Sprint Epic. It goes off intermittently and it always seems to have a weak signal. Tonight, I took my wife's EVO (Android 2.2) and my Epic and compared them with a program called "Speed Test" acquired from the Android Market. My results were pretty disappointing (to Epic owners). On the WIFI test my wife's EVO ran at 4665 kbps download and 1513 kbps upload, compare that to my Epic which was at 3780 kbps download and 865 kbps upload.

The disappointment didn't end there, I then tested both phones 3G services. The EVO constantly had faster download and upload times, the last test I ran showed the evo had a download speed of 892 kbps download and 561 kbps upload. The Epic had 175 kbps download and 144 kbps upload. I suggest everyone to take another android phone (any make or model) and test them against their Epic, it is very disappointing.

I decided to do on more little test but this time with the GPS' on both phones. I downloaded a program called "GPS Test" and from inside my bedroom at the same location I turned the test on and immediately the EVO located 11 satellites and locked to 10. The Epic found 7 satellites; however, it could only lock to two (2) of them and it was an extremely weak lock. Just a disclaimer I had not warmed up either devices GPS prior to the test they were both started cold. I am getting close to my 30 days and need to figure out what I am going to do. Sprint is charging me $10.00 extra a month for because I can supposedly surf the internet faster with the Epic; however, that is simply not true and the GPS sucks so bad. :eek: SAMSUNG you really screwed up a phone that should have been awesome.

Last edited:

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Your 3g download speeds are really slow. Have you tried these tests at other locations? The upload speeds are what everyone's getting here (hundreds of posts about this) though. The wifi tests are interesting, as I haven't tested that yet with Evo owners. Never really tested my GPS since it works just fine for me.

denness544

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I do get around the same 3G speed as the OP. I didn't test my Epic against an EVO but my brother has a Droid X and 3G speed was alot faster. I don't know if I'm located in a congested area or not but during the day in Downtown LA my 3G speeds can run around 100kbps download or lower and with upload speeds around there.

Been pretty disappointed with Sprint's 3G speed. Although, my WIFI is pretty fast and I am happy with that.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Just tested mine with my Epic using the apps that you listed:

3G: 1252 kbps down / 140 kbps up
4G: 4316 kbps down / 964 kbps up
wifi: 6624 kbps down / 995 kbps up (Clear 4G)
GPS: 11 in view / 11 in use

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had both devices at the same time.

Wifi speeds were better on the evo but only by about 30 kbps, which was probably due to error within the application. Sometimes the Epic was better, but most of the times beat by a small amount by the EVO.
3g was consistent for both devices with the exception of upload cap on EPIC.

Now on 4g, is where the epic rocked. The epic woudl consistently connect in about 5 secs to 4g network, whereas the evo took 35 secs(Pain). Speeds were similar for both devices, but i saw that the Epic usually had faster speeds.

So to me epic wins in 4g and the wifi difference wasnt noticeable. Although in 3g evo wins cuz of epics upload cap.

cbpagent72

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have had both devices at the same time.

Wifi speeds were better on the evo but only by about 30 kbps, which was probably due to error within the application. Sometimes the Epic was better, but most of the times beat by a small amount by the EVO.
3g was consistent for both devices with the exception of upload cap on EPIC.

Now on 4g, is where the epic rocked. The epic woudl consistently connect in about 5 secs to 4g network, whereas the evo took 35 secs(Pain). Speeds were similar for both devices, but i saw that the Epic usually had faster speeds.

So to me epic wins in 4g and the wifi difference wasnt noticeable. Although in 3g evo wins cuz of epics upload cap.

You guys in 4G areas are really making me jealous. :p

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Speed test apps on the epic seem like they are slow, but real world feel is that its a lot faster than the Hero. My hero always got at least 1.5 down, however, wasn't unusual to get 2.5 down and .25 up (capped, just like the epic is capped at 150). However, downloading apps/files is much faster on the Epic. My Hero is out of commission, so I can't show difference in speed, but its visually in favor on the hero, but physically in favor for the Epic. I believe there is a port 80 bug for 3G.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You guys in 4G areas are really making me jealous. :p

I have a strong 4G signal in most places I'm at in the Chicagoland area but if it makes you feel better I usually stay on 3G since 4G is a major power hog...LOL I do switch over when I need the extra horsepower but I love the option of staying on 3G :)

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
When I first got the Epic I also had an Evo and the Evo was slightly faster on 3G downloads and significantly faster on uploads. GPS was also more accurate and quicker to lock on the Evo. WIFI was another story as I had lots of WIFI issues with my Evo. I found that by changing the router channel it would significantly improve speeds on the Evolution so I tried the same thing with the Epic and got the same results. Upload / download speeds went from about 5Mbps/3Mbps to 14Mbps/8Mbps after finding the best channel.

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have my EVO for about 5 days after I got my Epic (sold evo off). The GPS was a worry before I bought my Epic so i tested it with GPS test a lot before my Evo left. I can say the Evo easily tracked more satellites and put them to use than the Epic. There were also times where my Epic would see 5-6 satellites and have 0 in use? (This is all living in Atlanta)

I'm really hoping this next update really fixes the GPS issues. There are a lot of times where nav shows i'm running on a side axis road parellel to the highway or vise versa.

4g I seem to be going good on but after the recent update it seems it's having a lot harder time connecting to 4g even in areas where it should have it no problem

:(

Last edited: