Difficulty accessing Wifi on airplanes

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue with my S22 as well. For some reason on planes, after connecting to the wifi, I almost always get the notification that I'm connected but no internet is available. But then I test it out on my tablet and connect to wifi no problem with internet. I've reset the phone, turned off/on wifi, forgot the network and reconnected, everything but keep having this issue.

I know wifi doesn't always work and you have to get to a certain elevation but I have this problem the entire flight, and like I said, the same time my phone doesn't work, my tablet does. I understand that at times you have to log onto the airlines site to approve their BS but I'm not even getting that option either.

Anyone have a similar issue or any ideas on what can be the problem? I have T-Mobile which is frustrating because I'm supposed to have free wifi access with them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which airline? It can depend on the airline, since some may direct you to go to a specific website (like unitedwifi.com for United Airlines), where you'll find further instructions to connect. Others might bring up a separate captive portal window where the login is.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah and I never can reach that with my phone but do with the tablet which is bizarre to me. The airlines were Delta and AeroMexico.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue with my S22 as well. For some reason on planes, after connecting to the wifi, I almost always get the notification that I'm connected but no internet is available. But then I test it out on my tablet and connect to wifi no problem with internet. I've reset the phone, turned off/on wifi, forgot the network and reconnected, everything but keep having this issue.

I know wifi doesn't always work and you have to get to a certain elevation but I have this problem the entire flight, and like I said, the same time my phone doesn't work, my tablet does. I understand that at times you have to log onto the airlines site to approve their BS but I'm not even getting that option either.

Anyone have a similar issue or any ideas on what can be the problem? I have T-Mobile which is frustrating because I'm supposed to have free wifi access with them.
Have had a similar issue but always get it resolved by using a different browser or like you tried, forgetting and reconnecting to the airlines wifi. Sorry!

Reactions: jaymzb0nd

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No VPN on, right? Or is there any 3rd party security app installed?

Next time, try using a different browser, as jtfwTX mentioned.

Reactions: jtfwTX

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Would this matter? He's trying to connect to Wi-Fi on the airplane. Should be able to do that even when an airplane mode.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure about 2g or 5g because I am on airplane mode. And correct, no VPN. I'll try a different browser next time. It's frustrating because it works on my tablet but usually you get a free hour for messaging and my whatsapp is on my phone so the internet on my tablet is useless.

Reactions: jtfwTX

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about 2g or 5g because I am on airplane mode. And correct, no VPN. I'll try a different browser next time. It's frustrating because it works on my tablet but usually you get a free hour for messaging and my whatsapp is on my phone so the internet on my tablet is useless.
This is why I would be surprised if your data connection mattered. Bc should be on airplane mode when the wifi is working in the air on the airlines wifi. Agree with you it's confusing. My tablet like yours works fine too. Maybe next time you have the chance, restart your phone right before getting on the plane and see if it affects anything!

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So I'm on a plane about to take off and having the same issue. I don't understand it. I've tried desktop view with chrome as well and the stock phone browser but it takes me to a different looking page where I can't sign on, compared to my tablet which can.

The first 2 pics are from my phone and the 3rd is from my tablet. Wtf

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_210328_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_210328_Chrome.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230624_210345_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_210345_Chrome.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230624_210320.jpg
    20230624_210320.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 9

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, this is what it looks like when I connect to the wifi. It tells me to follow the link as pictured here and then when I do follow the link, the attachments in my previous post is what I get.

I just downloaded Firefox and edge but have the same issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_210656_Captive Portal Login.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_210656_Captive Portal Login.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 7

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Just an observation from your screenshots, but on the tablet screenshot, the tablet is in Airplane mode as evidenced by the little airplane next to the battery icon in the upper right. However, in all of the phone screenshots, you are not in airplane mode. It is possible that, being connected to cell service is bypassing the plane's network and therefore not pulling up the proper sign-in web page, which I would assume would be served by the plane's onboard equipment. To summarize, perhaps try putting the phone in airplane mode before trying to sign into the plane's wi-fi. Just a possible explanation for what's happening.

Reactions: B. Diddy

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just an observation from your screenshots, but on the tablet screenshot, the tablet is in Airplane mode as evidenced by the little airplane next to the battery icon in the upper right. However, in all of the phone screenshots, you are not in airplane mode. It is possible that, being connected to cell service is bypassing the plane's network and therefore not pulling up the proper sign-in web page, which I would assume would be served by the plane's onboard equipment. To summarize, perhaps try putting the phone in airplane mode before trying to sign into the plane's wi-fi. Just a possible explanation for what's happening.
Great observation and point. That was me trying while I still had service before take off. Unfortunately the problem persisted in airplane mode in the air.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter