Need Your Evo Epic Thoughts

zuma

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Please try to be balanced ... :)
I have my choice right now between the EVO and the Epic 4G which would you select and a reason why please?

Thanks all!

mfmseth

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
There a 1000 threads on this but here the basic outline.

Epic Pro's
Lighter - If you care about heft then Epic.
Amoled Screen - Nice and clean display, let not forgot about the Gorilla Glass.
Dlna - Have a Dlna device? Then Epic can stream all your media to that device.
Physical keyboard, type alot then get a Epic.
Better Cpu and Better for Gaming

Cons
Bugs, bugs and more bugs
The Smaller screen.
No Froyo( Yet)
Touchwiz is meh
No Kickstand( Tho if a case every comes out it be bad ***)

Evo Pro's
Screen - That 0.3 inches makes a big difference to some people.
The Kickstand - It a dam Kickstand what more do you need to know?
Less Bugs and Senus U.I,
Foryo 2.2
Built in HDMI port vs a USB to Hdmi cable for the epic.
Better Roms and Hacking Support the hacking community is really big on the Evo side.
It cheaper, 50 bucks makes a big difference to some people.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Writermind and zuma

chenDawg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mfmseth pretty much covered it.

I had the Evo, but it was stolen so i took the chance to grab the Epic.

Glad i did. The screen is boss and it plays games a bit better.
I use my phone for a lot of multimedia and I feel this device excells in that department.

Plus the physical keyboard is nice for emails and emulators.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
In general th Epic is a much better device. I owned the Evo from launch date until three weeks ago, when I got an epic for the GPU prowess.

Come to find out, the Epic performs better, has a FAR FAAAAARRR better camera, especially the video camera, has a much MUCH better screen, the touch screen is much more responsive, better sound quality and more. I could write a book about how much happier I am with the epic. I finally don't long for an iphone.

However, there are a few bugs. One, I notice that I have slower 3G speeds on the epic when compared to the evo. Also, some key presses are missed by the keyboard. I used to have issues with gps, but the last update fixed that. Other that this, I hav not had any big issues that I can think of.

if you don't care for an extra .3" of LCD screen, go Epic. Just about the ONLY thing evo has better is Sense. Which I do miss.

Reactions: zuma

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
My choice is the epic simply for the camera alone. In fact, if not for the epic, I would not have defaulted down to the evo and would be with another carrier right now. That's how low I regard the camera on the evo

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be dead honest. The Evo IMO is much better for me. I didn't love the Epic nearly as much as I love my Evo. I'd trade out my Epic (which I did) for any top tier smartphone, but the only thing I would trade for my Evo is the Desire HD and that's not happening. I absolutely cannot get over the Evo.

Once again, I'm not bashing anything and I'm just stating my personal preference. See those Pros posted in an above post? Yeah, that's why I chose the Evo.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
When the EVO dropped I thought it was the best damn phone ever. That was until I had to charge the damn phone basically every two to three hours. The processor was kick ***, Froyo made it even more bad *** and the Sense UI made it king. Then a new girl came to our school and her name was Epic. The Epic is a bit more bulky than the EVO thanks to the keyboard but the keyboard it self is a huge plus for the device. The battery life is awesome, the screen is king and the screen display makes it own the EVO. Even tho the Epic doesn't have Froyo...yet, it will dominate the EVO soon enough if it doesn't already depending on who you ask. The Epic was a better investment IMO. There are a lot of "easter eggs" in the phone that make it that much more attractive than the EVO. The Samsung Media Hub is one. The Touch Wiz was takes while getting use to especially if you have already been accustomed to the Sense UI. Screen, size, weight and battery life all trump the EVO. Epic wins.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I had an Evo for 30 days and thought it was a good phone. I returned it, however, for 3 main reasons...the screen was completely unusable outdoors in sunlight, battery life was horrid and I felt more comfortable with at least having the option to use a hardware keyboard.

I got the Epic on launch day and have been pretty happy with it. The screen is great and usable in any situation I have found myself in. The keyboard is very good. GPS works fine although it is a bit slower to lock than other phones I have had. Battery life started out at only about 5 hours but since the last update I can go 18 hours with pretty heavy use between charges. I am still amazed with everything this phone can do!

Bottom line...neither is perfect and you gotta see which one has the best compromises for you.

zuma

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Good question I should have added what I use my phone for. Mostly text, email, Internet, GPS, music and YouTube. Not much into gaming and have no interest in video calling or watching movies on a phone. I should have mentioned the cost difference is not a factor for me thankfully.

I do like HTC Sense but TouchWiz that I have seen on the Epic is not all that intrusive so not a deal killer. For me both screen sizes work but when I was in the SPrint store the Epic screen did look brighter and crisper. I was not able to take either device outside though.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It really does help getting info from people who have experience with both devices.

zuma

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There a 1000 threads on this but here the basic outline.

Cons
Bugs, bugs and more bugs
The Smaller screen.
No Froyo( Yet)
Touchwiz is meh
No Kickstand( Tho if a case every comes out it be bad ***)

Hope this helps

Can you give me an idea of some of the bugs you are talking about or maybe point me to a thread that lists them. Thanks.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Good question I should have added what I use my phone for. Mostly text, email, Internet, GPS, music and YouTube. Not much into gaming and have no interest in video calling or watching movies on a phone. I should have mentioned the cost difference is not a factor for me thankfully.

I do like HTC Sense but TouchWiz that I have seen on the Epic is not all that intrusive so not a deal killer. For me both screen sizes work but when I was in the SPrint store the Epic screen did look brighter and crisper. I was not able to take either device outside though.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It really does help getting info from people who have experience with both devices.

Well, thas hard to suggest because both devices do everything you mentioned here very well. So, hard to suggest something when all phones of this caliber are really good at doing those things.

At this point, I would suggest you choose based on wht you may use in the future. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Epic has a lot of things done better.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Battery's not an issue for me. 8 1/2 hours with 69% left after some heavy usage on the Evo. IMO, the keyboard is pretty bad on the Epic. I can't get everything to register when I'm typing quickly.

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Honestly for your usage I'd have to say the EVO. The Epic, IMO, is more of a non-streaming media powerhouse ie gaming and videos/movies u put on the actual phone.

With the fluctuation of signal and 3G speed (others have reported, I experience random signal fluctuations only once in awhile) your music/youtube etc streaming might suffer at times and youtube quality stuff wont really fully show off the SAMOLED screen. There's also still a bug with GPS where it will always say you're within 30ft of your location, even when you're not and that can cause some issues with some GPS apps that pull that data. Text/email/browsing is also a bit easier on the eyes with the slightly bigger screen.

I'm not bashing the Epic as I'm totally in love with this phone and it's the best phone I've ever owned, but only because it fits my personal needs. It's not to say Samsung/Sprint wont fix all the issues, in which case it would be a MUCH harder decision. In it's current form though I'd say the Evo fits your needs better. Honestly between the Evo or the Epic, you really can't go wrong but they currently do a few things slightly better than the other. The only way to truly find out is to try both of them for a month (using the 30day guarantee).

cary328is

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Good question I should have added what I use my phone for. Mostly text, email, Internet, GPS, music and YouTube. Not much into gaming and have no interest in video calling or watching movies on a phone.

Based on this...I would say definitely go with the EVO then. I have both phones and these are exactly what I use the EVO for (trust me especially with the GPS - the EVO dances circles around the Epic with GPS). The Epic - I use for games, video recording, and watching movies. I love both phones equally but seriously - based on how you use your phone without a doubt get the EVO. You won't regret it.

Dallin Hampton

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Zuma,

Seeing as I'm one who has had plenty of time with both phones I'll take a moment to compile my thoughts of both devices:

While the Evo and the Epic are both good in their own respect, I must say that the Super AMOLED screen on the Epic trumps the extra 0.3" you gain by choosing the Evo. Never have I thought to myself, "boy I sure miss that extra screen size" as I'm content with the 4-inch screen. I love the physical keyboard and shift between Swype, SwiftKey and the stock Android keyboard as I'm a nitpicker and like certain things about each one given certain circumstances. The Sense UI was nice although felt cluttered at times whereas TouchWiz is much more simple and clean in my opinion.

Some like to argue that because the Evo has a 8-megapixel camera while the Epic has a 5-megapixel camera, it must take better pictures. If you know anything about cameras, you'll realize that the previous argument is wrong and just plain junk as megapixels have nothing to do with the overall quality of an image. It is my belief that my Epic takes far better pictures than my Evo ever did although let me state that this may be due in part to the Epic's screen and the fact that I've never reviewed any of my Evo photography on my Epic's screen.

YouTube and what device you view it on hardly correlate. YouTube is YouTube. You're not going to hear, or see, a different version of Bed Intruder on an Epic than you would an Evo. Both have built-in TV Out functions, (I will say that the Evo takes the cake in this aspect) the Evo with its mini/micro-HDMI out and the Epic with its input-jack TV-out neither of which I've used.

The GPS debacle is dismissable seeing as it's something that can be fixed by software. Although the Evo's is better at the moment, there's no hardware stopping the Epic's from being just as good.

With all of those out of the way that leaves two comparisons un-addressed which is the final question as you make your decision:
Kickstand, or keyboard?

Apologies for any scattered-brainness I may have had in my thoughts but it is very late and I am very sleepy.

Make sure to inform us of your choice!

Dallin Hampton

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Battery's not an issue for me. 8 1/2 hours with 69% left after some heavy usage on the Evo. IMO, the keyboard is pretty bad on the Epic. I can't get everything to register when I'm typing quickly.

How on earth are you managing to do that? I had my Evo up until I would say a week before or after the launch of the Epic but never had the battery life I had hoped for that you claimed in your post! Custom ROM? Extended battery?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
How on earth are you managing to do that? I had my Evo up until I would say a week before or after the launch of the Epic but never had the battery life I had hoped for that you claimed in your post! Custom ROM? Extended battery?

Must be a ROM. I too hd an Evo for a significant amount of time (3 months) and I never experienced anything better than 6-7 hours of light to moderate usage, especially after the 2.2 update.

I even purchased an extended battery for it and still had no luck. I get about 16 hours of good usage with Epic since the latest update. About 9-10 hours with the launch software.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I still have my Evo, but I've been using the Epic since day one. I don't really miss anything from it outside of the better stock email app, but I prefer push mail and switched to K9 and hopefully Maildroid when the bugs get worked out. I'm not sure what gps problems people still have after the last update. Think some Evo users just like to make things up at this point. Same with the one poster who just said "bugs, bugs and more bugs."

For me, the Epic is lighter and fits better in the hand with the narrower profile and rounded edges. I like the screen better. I like the hard keyboard for when I need it, and going to it is close to second nature now. It does miss a letter every now and then. Don't know why that is an issue, but it is. I type fast enough and can manipulate with the arrow keys that I still breeze through it.

I picked up two genuine overseas OEM battteries (the g7 version) and outboard charger for about $12 so I don't worry about battery life too much which is no better or worse than I had with the Evo.

And I love how people say "I think the evo is your choice based off of how you use the phone". He did say the first two things he uses the phone for are email and texting where a hard keyboard could be a benefit for him. Having had a hero and an Evo and play with friends' iphones all the time, I can type fairly well on screen, I just hate it. Swype makes it somewhat bearable for short texts and such, but the rest goes to the hard keyboard.

Froyo for the Evo isn't a Plus because it should be on the Epic, hopefully within the next 30 days. And then performance will be even better than it is now which is still pretty damn good.

If you need the extra .3" of screen, if you need to local sync Outlook, if you like Sense's features better and don't mind typing on screen then go for the Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress