Cant seem to remember how to do this....

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Call me stupid if you wish, but, I need help. Lol. :confused:

When I first got my Epic, I backed up all my contacts to my Gmail acct.

Now, I would like to get that to update, cuz i've made alot of changes lately, and want to make sure I dont lose everything. I went into google, and can not for the life of me remember how to do it!!!

I know that I did not have to hook it up to the comp, or do any importing/exporting of vCard files.

someone help me.

please and thanks in advance!

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, you should have just saved them all to Google as you went along.
When you save a number, it'll ask would you like to a) save to phone or b) save to Google.
I have Google as my default so it syncs any time I sign into my Google account after flashing a rom or whatever so I don't need to import or export.
My guess is you can probably find an app to do this. I don't think going into accounts and syncs settings and trying to sync contacts will get the ones from your phone to Google. Instead it'll get the ones from Google to your phone. But you could always try.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming you added contacts to your phone locally, not to your gmail account within the phone.

To avoid this problem in the future, make sure you store contacts to Google. Then it will be stored both in Google server and your phone simultaneously.

Now, I'm not aware of a simple way to export your contacts stored locally to Google server. I created a fake contact in the phone locally and see whether I can change it to gmail contacts but can't.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
contacts >> Menu >> More >> Import/Export >> Export to SD card

This well let you at least back up everything on your phone to your SD card as a .vcf file, which you could import to your google account.

From there, you should probably add new contacts to go to your google account by instead of to your phone.

I think that's probably the best you're gonna get, at the moment, unless someone knows some tool or something that i dont.

Reactions: Andrew Ruffolo

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
contacts >> Menu >> More >> Import/Export >> Export to SD card

This well let you at least back up everything on your phone to your SD card as a .vcf file, which you could import to your google account.

From there, you should probably add new contacts to go to your google account by instead of to your phone.

I think that's probably the best you're gonna get, at the moment, unless someone knows some tool or something that i dont.

DON'T import your contacts from a VCD file!!! If you do, it will work, but it will overwrite the Phone's "vnd.sec.contact.phone" file and you will lose the default GROUPs in that file, which means you can't add people to groups from the phone. The only way you will be able to add contacts to groups then will be to log into GMail from a Computer and add them there. I had to factory reset my phone to get the original file back. To Use the phone's groups, you have to make DUPLICATE contacts and save them to the Phone rather than the Gmail account. In your contacts they will be linked together so you won't see duplicate entries.

mikehoff99

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Go to your gmail account like you were going to check e-mails. look at left side, click on contacts. there they are. is that what you meant as far as finding them on the google site?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Do the steps above to export your non-google contacts to SD card. Then use the same steps to Import the same contacts from SD card but now choose to import them as google contacts.

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to your gmail account like you were going to check e-mails. look at left side, click on contacts. there they are. is that what you meant as far as finding them on the google site?

Yes, i've done that...however... as im adding, deleting, updating things in my phone, its not reflecting to the google contacts page.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If the contacts that are being updated on the phone are google contacts, then that means your synch is not set up or is not setup to synch contacts.

From main home screen, menu-settings-account & synch, you should see a green circle next to your google account. Touch it and see if Contacts is checked.