Official Froyo Update on the Epic on Dec 26th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So angry... so sad... so disappointed... how can we possibly STILL be stuck with 2.1???

"If true, this is pretty disappointing news for Epic owners that thought they were finally going to be freed from the shackles of Android 2.1."

Well said, FTFA... my sentiments exactly...:(

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
its not that 2.1 is bad , its a very robust snappy build.

What is disappointing is that Epic is supposed to be the Top Galaxy S phone and it was rated as #1 smart phone on PC world.

Yet It seems to be one of the last ones to get the "promised Froyo"

This only reassures my choices will NOT include Samsung devices the next time I change phones.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
This is so frustrating. My brother bought his Evo a month after I bought my Epic and won't stop gloating about the fact that he got 2.2 before me.

Honestly, if this were about bug fixes and improvements, I'd say it's well worth the wait. But it's not. It's about trying to accommodate Samsung's worthless Touchwiz baked-in bs. Why can't they release a version with vanilla android first, and the Touchwiz version later? I know I won't be the only one turning off Touchwiz as a first priority after the upgrade, so it's incredibly irritating to experience these perpetual delays as a consequence of its existence.

Boo Samsung. You suck at making user interfaces. I had the Instinct before the Epic and should have learned my lesson then (the horrifically slow and ugly interface on the instinct truly needs to be seen to be believed). Tech companies should strive to create a user interface that is either functional (Android), practical (WP7) or beautiful (iOS / HTC).

Touchwiz is none of these. It's an ugly, slow, useless piece of garbage that should never have been baked into the Epic. It adds zero in the way of functionality and does nothing but embarrass an otherwise impressive device. It was my #1 consideration against getting the phone, and the ability to remove it and replace it with something worthwhile (read: literally anything else, including stock) is the only reason I looked past it.

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Any of you ever tried out just stock vanilla? It's awful. I tried it out by disabling TW and I hated it. I'd never use it again.

And am I the only one here who isn't all that excited about 2.2? I am sure its great and all, but what are the major, major enhancements? I'm rooted and my kernal gives me insane battery life. From what I've read about all the 2.2 ROMS, battery life seems pretty bad with them. I don't think I want to make the jump to 2.2 unless there's a ROM that gives me the same battery life as I'm getting now.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
There's no date on that screenshot linking it to the 26th, so I'm (wishfully?) thinking it is from earlier when the leaked update came out and they are just stirring the pot to generate interest/hits.

I'm excited about the update as there are apps with features only available on 2.2 that I want. I'm also praying for some significant battery life improvement, but not overly optimistic on that.

steveninstl

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded my Epic to the Froyo build last night with the software that was posted on BriefMobile, and I must say..WOW! The device moves much faster, no lags, and all my apps work, including GPS!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded my Epic to the Froyo build last night with the software that was posted on BriefMobile, and I must say..WOW! The device moves much faster, no lags, and all my apps work, including GPS!

Sounds great! Looks like you gave yourself a good Christmas gift, Froyo! Although its not the official build, its the best we have to this point.

Any questions now that your enjoying Froyo goodness feel free to ask, someone will be happy to help you.

dzuchowski

Banned
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
well this is one reason why i went with the evo, besides the dual flash and 8mb camera and 1mp frint cam. It came with 2.2 on it. Since its taken so long to get 2.2 on the samsungs, i really dont think it will get gingerbread or honeycomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.