How is battery life on Froyo EC05 so far? *poll added*

Are you having bad battery life with EC05 stock? What ROM did you come from?

• Total voters

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am at 35% right now.

Time on 8h 6m 50s
Display 77% with time on 26m 28s
Cell Standby 11%
Voice Calls 8%
Wi-Fi 2%
Phone Idle 2%
Mine is very similar to your usage, but at just under 8 hours. Hard to say since I rebooted the phone a few hours ago. According to System Monitor, my CPU usage is basically sitting at 10%. The top processes are the suspend system process and the system process itself.

Nannying the battery is starting to get real old. :mad:

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine is very similar to your usage, but at just under 8 hours. Hard to say since I rebooted the phone a few hours ago. According to System Monitor, my CPU usage is basically sitting at 10%. The top processes are the suspend system process and the system process itself.

Agreed!

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I am at 35% right now.

Time on 8h 6m 50s
Display 77% with time on 26m 28s
Cell Standby 11%
Voice Calls 8%
Wi-Fi 2%
Phone Idle 2%

I would suggest adjusting brightness (if set auto perhaps set to a low fixed otherwise try auto) and turning on power saving mode if it isn't on. I use both auto brightness and power saving mode and get about twice the amount of screen on time for the same amount of battery consumed. That should give you several more hours. I'd have to know what apps and background tasks are causing the most drain to help any further. I can only assume based on the cell standby and phone idle percentages that there is a lot of use active and/or background.

mechanismclear

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
my battery life since update

before update i was getting about 18 to 20 hours a day,i just plugged my phone up to charge and it was at 24 hours with 22% battery life left so yes battery life is better:)

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My whole thing is there are days where the phone will last the whole day without a problem. Then there are days where, for no particular reason, it'll blaze thru the battery. No change in anything. There seems to be no app in particular causing this, and I've tried hard resetting it a couple of times and it'll be good for a week or two, then something triggers this drain and it won't even stop with a reboot. It's really weird.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
My whole thing is there are days where the phone will last the whole day without a problem. Then there are days where, for no particular reason, it'll blaze thru the battery. No change in anything. There seems to be no app in particular causing this, and I've tried hard resetting it a couple of times and it'll be good for a week or two, then something triggers this drain and it won't even stop with a reboot. It's really weird.

I have noticed days where I get more out of a full charge as well though I suspect even though we can't narrow down to what is causing it, it is likely a singular cause. For example more background data use over the carrier radio than normal.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed that only on very rare occasions - it usually happens when they are working on a tower and it goes down for a few hours - my battery will go from 100% to 0% with 2 hours or less and my phone will feel really warm.

It use to happen once every 4 or 5 months - now maybe once every year when I am home.

With that being said, when I am out and about or traveling, that is a different story - I believe it has to do with how strong your signal happens to be when the drain happens - check your signal strength - strong signal and your battery should hold up very well, weak signal and it will drain very fast!

Remember weak signal makes your radio continue to search for a signal making it work hard and using up battery. Just my experience and .02 cents worth.

Last edited:

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought I would expand on the idea of see how much certain things drain the battery so I checked before and after listening to some podcasts with google's listen app. Just over 3 hours worth used about 6% per hour (20% used in total). Odd thing is that in android assistant, listen was only listed as 1%. I'm guessing that this means that the app being open used 1% and that the other 19% is indicated in other things like wifi etc that contributed to the total battery use for listening to the podcasts.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Bad battery life on EC05 (stock only)? What ROM did you come from

I'm wondering if there's any relation to which ROM you were on previously and having bad battery life, i.e. all cases are from those that came from EB13 or from DI18. If you hard reset your device after getting the ROM I think that would make a difference but who really knows.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if there's any relation to which ROM you were on previously and having bad battery life, i.e. all cases are from those that came from EB13 or from DI18. If you hard reset your device after getting the ROM I think that would make a difference but who really knows.

Hypothetically it could be possible to carry over existing problems with an upgrade. After all smartphones are basically computers in our pocket much more complex than prior generations of PDAs and cell phones and early smartphones. Even in a most bug free environment odd things can occur that aren't expected or designed to occur. I think there is a "law" that defines this statement more clearly. Practical actual application of the idea of starting out with a "clean slate" in cases of windows PCs indicate that existing problems on a current install of the OS go away with a clean install if the problem is not endemic to the version being installed (updated to). So in general you can't go wrong going with a "clean slate" instead of upgrading without data loss. I imagine this is why it is suggested to wipe 3 times when switching between ROMs (some or all I'm not sure since I'm still new to some stuff).

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I had DI18 before EC05 so far battery life appears to be the same as it was before after optimizing things to improve it. It's been consistent in the about 24 hours from a full charge. Unless I have super heavy use like hours of phone calls or hours of screen on time or other extended long active use. Basically with what I consider heavy use for me I still make it through the day without having to plug in until I'm ready to go to sleep. And if I don't use it at all I've noticed the full charge will last 36 hours. I'm still looking to see if there is any further optimization I can do to squeeze more out of it without adding inconveniences.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So maybe those that are having battery drain are those that came from EB13? Just a hypothesis. My issue seems to be the suspend process going nuts and eating the battery, like documented here: [Q] Is the 'suspend process' issue truly a mystery? - Page 14 - xda-developers But what's interesting is when I was on EB13 for that month or so my battery was fine; when I got the update to EC05 is when the drain started.

My wife did not get EB13 and now on EC05 she has horrible battery life.

I'm getting ready to root and flash syndicate for her though. 2 days of battery life is nothing to sneeze at when you could barely get 10 hours on stock ec05.