Intermittently hearing myself when answering or placing a call

carysb7478

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Occasionally, when I pick up an incoming call or place an outgoing call, I hear myself saying "hello" and don't hear anything from the other party. The other parties have told me they are able to hear me (when I subsequently redial them and finally get a good connection). I have to hang up and call the person back, and sometimes it takes a few times for me to be able to get a normal call out without hearing myself. Interestingly, I had this happen more recently on my nexus S 4g before I ditched it a few weeks ago for the Note II. Any ideas on what's causing this? It's really frustrating to answer a call and then have to hang up and redial.

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
are you by any chance using a bluetooth or a headset? sometimes if the volume is loud enough on the headset, the sound from the earpiece will actually go into the mic. This can also happen if you use speakerphone.

Wow, nevermind. I just looked at the date and guess if ya aint figured it out by now ya never will lol

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Splint. This has been happening when I place a call for years. It's typically when I'm in an area where coverage is spotty and I pick up an antiquated tower.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
are you by any chance using a bluetooth or a headset? sometimes if the volume is loud enough on the headset, the sound from the earpiece will actually go into the mic. This can also happen if you use speakerphone.

Wow, nevermind. I just looked at the date and guess if ya aint figured it out by now ya never will lol

Boy, were YOU digging into the archives. Nicely resurrected. LOL

carysb7478

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad this got resurrected. No, it was not bluetooth related. And no, I don't buy that it was because sprint was "upgrading towers" which they tried to tell me in the sprint repair center. This seemed to happen across vastly different places I traveled to up and down the east coast. I can't remember exactly why I did this, but I decided to get rid of the Google voice integration which I had been using. That seemed to solve the problem as I haven't had the issue since. I will say that I had used Gvoice w/sprint integration for a long while before I started having the symptoms, so I'm not sure what happened to make the change, but I'm convinced that was the problem as I haven't had the issue since.

I'll add in that I experienced the issue with several different phones- Nexus S 4G, then Note II. Hope this helps others!

Grambell

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using Google voice and I have it. I know people who don't have a smart phone and they have it. You don't have to be in an area that is spotty and still have it.

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yah, both my wife and I have had this happen occasionally. Multiple phones too. Usually a hang up and redial fixes it but its annoying when it happens.