Handcent Texting App

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep using it. Would have just used the stock messaging app but really dislike talk bubbles and as far as I can see can't change to normal. Was using Gosms which is good also. Both are pretty good.

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I found GO SMS Pro to have a much nicer UI, especially with all the themes they have. And the recent updates have made everything much more polished. The future world theme is amazing. =]

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I found GO SMS Pro to have a much nicer UI, especially with all the themes they have. And the recent updates have made everything much more polished. The future world theme is amazing. =]

I had handcent with my old here but now using gosms and i must say gosms is my fav. Has more custom themes and yes the ui seems nicer. I say gosms for texting app.

lynned63

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Handcent. I'm still having problems getting the stock to not come up as well. I just can't seem to disable it completly.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Handcent. I'm still having problems getting the stock to not come up as well. I just can't seem to disable it completly.

Try uninstalling the app and then reinstall. Or go to manage apps and clear default under the stock messaging app. It should give you the option to choose which one you want as a default messaging app.

niknak01

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Go into the stock messaging app, click menu then settings. Uncheck the auto-retrieve box and the notifications box. This will stop the stock messaging app from notifying you of new messages.

Iolair74

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Notification Sounds question:

How do I set up Handcent to use a different notification sound for a single contact, and actually work? I have reviewed the Handcent FAQ, and used the icon at the top-right of the screen (body w/ gear). I can even test the notification for the contact and have it play the correct sound.

However, whenever a message comes from that contact it I still get the default notification tone. I don't know if there is some setting I have missed with making Handcent the default application, or if it has something to do with the fact that the messages are MMS rather than standard SMS. At this time I have the workaround of making the overall notification be what I need for the single contact, but that is highly undesirable.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I am relatively new to Android, the Galaxy S2 is my first such device. Thanks in advance for any assistance

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Do what niknak said. I use handcent and like it. One annoyance is I still get the 9016 notifications for voice mail even after blacklisting it. I had Gingerbread 2.3.5 on a rooted Hero and the stock messaging app for it has an option to disable the 9016 notification so it never comes up even using Handcent. 2.3.4 doesn't have that option. Anyone able to get rid of 9016 with GoSMS?

handsomeprince#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded and am using handcent...when a new text msg notification comes in...the BLUE notification light comes on!! Very nice.

I always did see it as a waste that the blue light only came on when the phone was fully charged.

Chris778811

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Do what niknak said. I use handcent and like it. One annoyance is I still get the 9016 notifications for voice mail even after blacklisting it. I had Gingerbread 2.3.5 on a rooted Hero and the stock messaging app for it has an option to disable the 9016 notification so it never comes up even using Handcent. 2.3.4 doesn't have that option. Anyone able to get rid of 9016 with GoSMS?

In handcent Under settings click application settings then default messaging application and make sure disable is clicked. That worked for me

Iolair74

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
In handcent Under settings click application settings then default messaging application and make sure disable is clicked. That worked for me
Thanks! The way I was reading the description was that "Disable" was to disable Handcent as the default, so I was going with "All (SMS/MMS)" >.<

Iolair74

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Dang. That seems to work for text messages, which I tested with prior to the last message. However, when sending an MMS (email message to phone number@pm.sprint.com) I still only get the notification sound for all messages. Any other suggestions?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I used Handcent on my original Epic but haven't ported it over to my E4GT because I'm pretty sure that when you use it, you lose the functionality of a notification on your lockscreen of a new text message. Any current Handcent users that can confirm this? I miss the text box pop-up features of Handcent, but the stock messaging app gives you a lockscreen notification that you can slide and zip right to the conversation. I love that feature...

Scott_LAN

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
i have noticed that when using Handcent on the 4G Touch there is an audible voice that informs you of a new mesage from xxx. I have tried disabling this feature through all of the possible locations on my phone, and am still hearing the notification even when my phone is on silent. I don't have the issue when using the stock messaging client. Has anyone experienced this before, and does anyone know how to completely turn off the notification feature?