Dramatically improved GPS after update!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw a thread asking if anyone noticed any non-visual related improvements after the Sprint's latest update, but this is pretty specific so I decided to throw it out here.

So, I've had my Epic Touch 4G since launch day and from the very get-go, GPS has always been extremely hit or miss - it would either find me right away or take so long that I'd give up on it entirely. Lately, though, it had gotten unusable. I tried the GPS toolbox app (to clear and re-download GPS data) and GPX fix worked real nice for a while but eventually stopped doing the trick (not to mention that having to open an app and waiting before using maps of Foursquare was a huge pain).

So, I'm happy to report that after today's update (gotten at 6AM when I took the phone off of airplane mode) it is incredibly improved. Here's a quick list of things I've noticed :
- Can now lock on to me when I'm in my apartment in 5 seconds or so. Before, it would NEVER lock when I was home unless I had wifi enabled.

- When outside and under a clear sky, the GPS locks faster than my Evo did.
- Apps that rely on GPS are much more responsive and usable now (duh). For example, before the update, when using foursquare to check in, I had to tap "Check In" and then refresh five or six times until it showed stuff I was actually close to.
- Before, GPS would always think I was in my neighborhood, even when I was downtown, 6-7 miles away.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is a huge deal for me and I've been curious if anyone else has seen any improvements? I had decided to go ask for an exchange today, but I'm pretty happy with how it's working. I live in Austin, TX, by the way, in case anyone in the area has a similar tale. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member