Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Having the same issue. Although I dont remember having this issue for the past several months until I updated to EL29. The issue occurs erratically. I have made an appointment at a Sprint store later today. Out of curiosity, how are you guys replicating the problem? It would be my luck when I go there I can't show them what's wring with the phone.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    It's not swype for sure. I strictly use SwiftKey and even went with stock right after I I did a hard reset, but still had the problem.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    joe8617's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Quote Originally Posted by sko580 View Post
    Having the same issue. Although I dont remember having this issue for the past several months until I updated to EL29. The issue occurs erratically. I have made an appointment at a Sprint store later today. Out of curiosity, how are you guys replicating the problem? It would be my luck when I go there I can't show them what's wring with the phone.
    The only way I know to make it happen is to go into a low signal area (the Sprint store probably isn't, but who knows lately). Sometimes I experience it when I am switching from 3g service to wifi service in my house.

    I have wondered if I can further isolate this problem to the phone switching data modes, like 3G to the old "1G", wifi, or 4G especially in low signal areas?

    I've pretty much given up on finding a solution. If it still happens to me after the ICS update, my phone will be on E-Bay and I will be upgrading to something else. Too bad Asus doesn't have any Sprint phones yet.

    Thanks,

    Joe
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    My wife & I both have the Galaxy S2, both purchased at the same time. I've had the problem since about 1 month after taking ownership - problem started in November 2011. I noticed it would happen in low signal areas after a while, usually 2 bars or less. After the EL29 update didn't change anything, I performed a hard reset which didn't help. I then sent my phone to Samsung under warranty, complete with a link to a YouTube video & description of the problem written on paper in the box. I received no phone calls or communication from Samsung, they appear to have just re-installed software & returned it.

    Problem still existed when I got the phone back within 1-2 days. More recently, my phone has gotten worse & my wife's phone was caught doing the same thing last week. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it does depend on signal & even the day. Some days the problem does not exist, other days it it horrible. My guess is it's related to cell tower handoff, or simply connection drops/reconnections.

    A little frustrated, but dealing with it for now since it now seems like I'm not the only one with the problem. Hoping ICS update fixes it (assuming we get the upgrade).

    Justin
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Hey guys..This phone isn't the only SAMMY product that does this as I have seen a youtube video of a person with a GS1 on a totally different carrier than Spring. My phone didn't have this issue when I first got it on launch date but after time it started. I doest it regularly with me and it does seem to happen more often in a poor signal area. All I can say is that its just another Sammy shi$#y built product.
    joe8617 likes this.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Quote Originally Posted by sko580 View Post
    Having the same issue. Although I dont remember having this issue for the past several months until I updated to EL29. The issue occurs erratically. I have made an appointment at a Sprint store later today. Out of curiosity, how are you guys replicating the problem? It would be my luck when I go there I can't show them what's wring with the phone.
    I havn't updated to EL29 because my Sh%#y Sammy won't allow me to update roms but I do have the problem on a regular basis.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Update......Mine has been REALLY bad the past few days. Not sure if weather is hurting signals, towers have been affected by power changes, or the recent solar flares, but the phones been 'flipping out' on 3G with 2 bars or less. I've even had it happen a few times when connected to Wi-Fi at home, which it NEVER did before (was always on mobile data connection).
  8. #33  
    Ogre840's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    Update......Mine has been REALLY bad the past few days. Not sure if weather is hurting signals, towers have been affected by power changes, or the recent solar flares, but the phones been 'flipping out' on 3G with 2 bars or less. I've even had it happen a few times when connected to Wi-Fi at home, which it NEVER did before (was always on mobile data connection).
    Ditto, worse signal than normal, setting button acting up a lot more, laggy moving between screens. Barely usable at work (where I spend the majority of my time :-/) and the Wifi has been slow, as well as the icon for signal strength for wifi showing little to none at all times.

    I'm running the FB21 leak, which at first was doing well, and I was able to get GPS working almost instantly. Now it seems to have slowly degraded the signal, and GPS can take 30+ minutes to lock on (if it does at all).

    Running GPS status does show 11 or 12 satellites in view, but wont lock on (previously it wouldn't even see them).

    Arg.

    *Edit*
    My complaining here got me in the mood to complain directly to Sprint about the issues above, I'll see what they have to say.
    Last edited by Ogre840; 03-18-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Adding info.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  
    joe8617's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Yep, I've tried everything. No support from Samsung. Looking forward to the new HTC!
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Take the phone to a Sprint repair center. They will replace the screen as they did mine.
    Thanked by:
  11. #36  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    I have a solution. It's ugly, and it's not overly practical, but it works - so if you're reading this and returning / replacing is not an option... here's your out.

    I got mine about 8 days ago and have noticed the same things described here. At first I thought it was something I'd done to it when I rooted it, but after seeing all this, I'm looking into returning it and/or getting the screen fixed.

    I did discover a few interesting things through trial and error. I was originally using AOKP's ICS rom when the problem started - thought there was something wrong with the rom, so I tried the Caulken, CM9 Alpha 6, and originally ODIN'd back to the factory settings, confirmed issue is happening across all of them. Happened less on factory, but I suspect that's due to the modem it was using giving me better reception out here in nowheresville where I live.

    I also confirmed that switching it over to Airplane mode stops it - but then you're in Airplane mode... so yeah.

    Next, after re-rooting and re-ROMing, I downloaded an antique app (not on android market, this one I found in the wilds of the internet) called ButtonRemapper - icon is a green circle with a puzzle piece in it. From it, I remapped the hardware button for Menu to something completely useless - the "Focus" command. Since it's only active when you're taking a picture, it basically turned the hardware button off in normal use mode.

    The good news is... by deactivating the Menu button, I stopped getting "phantom menu" presses - which also confirms 100% this is a HARDWARE problem. Anyone who wants to take this fight to Sprint/Samsung - there's some ammo for you.

    The bad news is... I started getting phantom Search, Home, and Back presses once I'd blocked Menu. I wound up going back to my trusty ButtonRemapper and also setting all those buttons to Focus, which disabled them all as well.

    Now, to complete things, I went into AOKP's settings (though other robs with this option should work as well) and activated the "Menu" button bar, giving myself a soft menu at the bottom of the screen that replicated the commands of the now-defunct hardware buttons - just like the Galaxy Nexus.

    Top off with a strip of white or black electical tape to cover up the damn LEDs for your dead buttons. Lather, rinse, repeat.

    ButtonRemapper ->
  12. #37  

    Default Finally

    I found a way that is working for me. Some of you may have this option, some dont. Configuration > Development option > Force GPU renderization (mark it). Worked for me. , At least still working.
  13. #38  
    zackmack7's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Finally

    Hey guys, there are some other threads where this issue has been discussed. The first is a thread started by me, the other by a different user

    Capacitive Button issues

    Context menu's activate on their own

    We came up with some good theories on why this is happening.
    Thanked by:
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Finally

    Wonder if this is a similar thing to my Task Manager popping up out of no where.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Finally

    Just want to add that my battery is a little over a year old and I was one of the first to do the upgrade to 4.0.4 that had all those early issues. High battery drain in particular. I think that is what really killed mine prematurely. At any rate, I'm still rocking GB and it had been fine, but as of lately my phone was complete junk! I kept getting the task manager popping up. Slow to respond, screen flicker and apps closing, losing signal, you name it. My battery had the buldge. I bought a Samsung direct replacement, same exact battery from Amazon for $15 shipped. Popped it in last night and my phone is back to it's old snappy self. Perfect! So far. I'll keep you all posted, but I now love my phone on GB all over again! So if you have issues, get a new battery!
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Hello everyone

    Strange enough, this did not happen when I first got my phone, but now that you mentioned it, it seems to start after installing SMS keyboards and GOSMS. Has anyone uninstalled those programs and not reinstalled to see if that is the issue?
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Here's the direct link to the solution to make it easier for others to find. Thanks to Zackmack7, SupraLance for posting the link in another thread. And of course to ElectricBill on xda who got to the bottom of it.

    I feel like Samsung should recall these phones may be a classaction lawsuit would get the ball rolling.
    Thanked by:
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Yeah, this sucks. Especially since mine was a refurbished replacement phone under the first year warrenty. Now it's out of warrenty. My original (which I would still have if it weren't for the F'd up ICS rollout) worked fine. Never had this phantom crap. So if we were on 4G which is what this phone was designed for we probably wouldn't have the issue either. Damn Sprint.
  19. #44  

    Thumbs up Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Let's be real: it's simply a hardware issue. There's no consistency in the presumed causes and solutions because there's no consistency with the problem itself. Mine started only a few weeks within getting the phone; I didn't think much about it considering it was a new phone and I wasn't sure the issue would persist. Four months later and I've still got the issue, sometimes to a manageable extent and sometimes to the point where the phone becomes unusable for a few minutes until it wears itself out. Regardless of service, regardless of location, time, apps, the alignment of the planets, it may or may not work because it just doesn't feel like it. The reason there's many of us with the same problem is for the sole fact that we all just got a bad batch. Nothing too fancy about that, and I wouldn't worry yourselves about a possible solution besides getting it replaced or repaired. It will be OK, friends. We can survive this misfortune if only we remain strong.
    LS14EVR likes this.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Quote Originally Posted by spinelli View Post
    Let's be real: it's simply a hardware issue. There's no consistency in the presumed causes and solutions because there's no consistency with the problem itself. Mine started only a few weeks within getting the phone; I didn't think much about it considering it was a new phone and I wasn't sure the issue would persist. Four months later and I've still got the issue, sometimes to a manageable extent and sometimes to the point where the phone becomes unusable for a few minutes until it wears itself out. Regardless of service, regardless of location, time, apps, the alignment of the planets, it may or may not work because it just doesn't feel like it. The reason there's many of us with the same problem is for the sole fact that we all just got a bad batch. Nothing too fancy about that, and I wouldn't worry yourselves about a possible solution besides getting it replaced or repaired. It will be OK, friends. We can survive this misfortune if only we remain strong.
    You work for sprint.... :-P. Seriously though, If you live or work in a low signal area this issue is a pain in the ***. Anyway, really just wanted to add - if you have some form of camcorder just try to get a bit of video of your phone geeking out for the sprint rep at the store. Much easier than trying to demonstrate it in a high signal area. BTW the true ammount of signal vs bars don't always match up.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    I've been through all these thousands of different post trying to figure out MY issue, which is the same...... Phantom Menu Button presses, and through trial and error, from sitting my phone in an area with a strong signal, to the opposite, to blatantly slamming my phone on the table and floor. Uninstalling and reinstalling apps, airplane mode and the works. There is only one 100% clear solution if you dont plan on returning your phone and are just as hard headed as I am.

    There is an electrical disturbance that happens between the Touch button and the circutry that activates the menu. This disturbance happens because the 3G radio in the phone needs a firmware update, which there is none for it as of yet. It activates the menu button presses when your 3G signal fades and fights to stay connected. (Your 3G signal is not to be confused with your actual phone signal) as they are not the same. You may be directly beside a sprint tower that does not have a 3G signal coming from it, yet your phone is connecting via 3G to a tower a half mile away. Download "Speedtest" from the Android market to test this out and to help explain what I am talking about.

    When the menu button is doing its crazy up, down dance, I simply disable my 3G and it immediately stops when the 3G icon dissapears (Settings> More...> Mobile Networks> Uncheck '3G Data') . When I turn on the 3G network again, my menu goes crazy just as if I never turned it off.
    Yes, 50% of you are correct, it is definitely a hardware issue, but you are also wrong at the same time because it is the software running the hardware, being as though I have seen the complaint of it just started appening after the EL29 update on several posts and on several different sites. I have notified sprint and samsung about this issue and hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

    Just remember, it is not a problem with rooting, apps or installing different roms. Some may want to try installing different modem firmware's. You can find an archive of different modems for the Epic Touch 4G (All Carriers) from,

    Remember, Flashing modems, firmware, roms and other things like this can void your warranty or brick your phone, so please have some knowledge on this before attempting. All I am doing is offering a solution. I dont work for sprint or samsung and I cant be held responsible for what you do with your phones, so PLEASE! handle with care.

    Feel free to copy this and post on different sites to spread the word if this helped you. Thanks!
    Thanked by:
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelalanharlow View Post
    ... All I am doing is offering a solution. ...
    How is this a solution? It doesn't solve anything.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelalanharlow View Post
    I've been through all these thousands of different post trying to figure out MY issue, which is the same...... Phantom Menu Button presses, and through trial and error, from sitting my phone in an area with a strong signal, to the opposite, to blatantly slamming my phone on the table and floor. Uninstalling and reinstalling apps, airplane mode and the works. There is only one 100% clear solution if you dont plan on returning your phone and are just as hard headed as I am.

    There is an electrical disturbance that happens between the Touch button and the circutry that activates the menu. This disturbance happens because the 3G radio in the phone needs a firmware update, which there is none for it as of yet. It activates the menu button presses when your 3G signal fades and fights to stay connected. (Your 3G signal is not to be confused with your actual phone signal) as they are not the same. You may be directly beside a sprint tower that does not have a 3G signal coming from it, yet your phone is connecting via 3G to a tower a half mile away. Download "Speedtest" from the Android market to test this out and to help explain what I am talking about.

    When the menu button is doing its crazy up, down dance, I simply disable my 3G and it immediately stops when the 3G icon dissapears (Settings> More...> Mobile Networks> Uncheck '3G Data') . When I turn on the 3G network again, my menu goes crazy just as if I never turned it off.
    Yes, 50% of you are correct, it is definitely a hardware issue, but you are also wrong at the same time because it is the software running the hardware, being as though I have seen the complaint of it just started appening after the EL29 update on several posts and on several different sites. I have notified sprint and samsung about this issue and hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

    Just remember, it is not a problem with rooting, apps or installing different roms. Some may want to try installing different modem firmware's. You can find an archive of different modems for the Epic Touch 4G (All Carriers) from,

    Remember, Flashing modems, firmware, roms and other things like this can void your warranty or brick your phone, so please have some knowledge on this before attempting. All I am doing is offering a solution. I dont work for sprint or samsung and I cant be held responsible for what you do with your phones, so PLEASE! handle with care.

    Feel free to copy this and post on different sites to spread the word if this helped you. Thanks!
    Thank you for your insight, I posted a small tutorial on
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Found solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Configuration > Development option > Force GPU renderization (check it).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Configuration > Development option > Force GPU renderization (check it).
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

    Interesting - but that didn't work for me....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B