Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting this occasionally, rooted today, and installed the leaked ICS rom by Caulkin... Still happening. Thankfully it seems to only really happen when I have my SMS app open (Handcent on stock, and GoSMS now).

Not annoying enough to bother with taking it back for me (once every few days, to a couple times in a day out of a week) but sure seems like a hardware issue if it's following me on different ROMs.

Lokibalboa1

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Had this problem as well. Took it to Sprint repair store and tech determined that it was the touchscreen which he replaced. This was a month ago and I have not experienced the problem since. Hope this helps.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Had this problem as well. Took it to Sprint repair store and tech determined that it was the touchscreen which he replaced. This was a month ago and I have not experienced the problem since. Hope this helps.

Just got the screen on my nexus replaced for this very issue . My search key was the problem. Screen replacement fixed it just fine.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

joe8617

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Just out of curiosity, and eliminating another possible culprit, what are the chances we all use Swype? It sounds like maybe this is a defective screen issue, but something is still making me think there is a software thing going on? Because after a restart, my phone is fine, maybe a day, maybe two, and then in a low signal environment that didn't cause the problem the day before, it will appear again.

So weird. And, can I just say, perusing this forum, it has become just a litany of issues in general with this phone. I think we got a bad firmware update or something. Too many people having too many issues it seems.

silx29#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
At first I thought it was the apps that I was downloading but it kept happening. I agree with the signal issue. This usually happens to me when I'm at my girlfriend's house where I get no signal and usually my phone is roaming. I checked my phone while it was going crazy and sure enough my phones signal was changing from no signal to roam.

I'm not doubting that there might be a screen issues but I also think that it is a signal issue also.

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue. Although I dont remember having this issue for the past several months until I updated to EL29. The issue occurs erratically. I have made an appointment at a Sprint store later today. Out of curiosity, how are you guys replicating the problem? It would be my luck when I go there I can't show them what's wring with the phone.

joe8617

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue. Although I dont remember having this issue for the past several months until I updated to EL29. The issue occurs erratically. I have made an appointment at a Sprint store later today. Out of curiosity, how are you guys replicating the problem? It would be my luck when I go there I can't show them what's wring with the phone.
The only way I know to make it happen is to go into a low signal area (the Sprint store probably isn't, but who knows lately). Sometimes I experience it when I am switching from 3g service to wifi service in my house.

I have wondered if I can further isolate this problem to the phone switching data modes, like 3G to the old "1G", wifi, or 4G especially in low signal areas?

I've pretty much given up on finding a solution. If it still happens to me after the ICS update, my phone will be on E-Bay and I will be upgrading to something else. Too bad Asus doesn't have any Sprint phones yet.

Thanks,

Joe

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
My wife & I both have the Galaxy S2, both purchased at the same time. I've had the problem since about 1 month after taking ownership - problem started in November 2011. I noticed it would happen in low signal areas after a while, usually 2 bars or less. After the EL29 update didn't change anything, I performed a hard reset which didn't help. I then sent my phone to Samsung under warranty, complete with a link to a YouTube video & description of the problem written on paper in the box. I received no phone calls or communication from Samsung, they appear to have just re-installed software & returned it.

Problem still existed when I got the phone back within 1-2 days. More recently, my phone has gotten worse & my wife's phone was caught doing the same thing last week. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it does depend on signal & even the day. Some days the problem does not exist, other days it it horrible. My guess is it's related to cell tower handoff, or simply connection drops/reconnections.

A little frustrated, but dealing with it for now since it now seems like I'm not the only one with the problem. Hoping ICS update fixes it (assuming we get the upgrade).

Justin

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys..This phone isn't the only SAMMY product that does this as I have seen a youtube video of a person with a GS1 on a totally different carrier than Spring. My phone didn't have this issue when I first got it on launch date but after time it started. I doest it regularly with me and it does seem to happen more often in a poor signal area. All I can say is that its just another Sammy shi$#y built product.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I havn't updated to EL29 because my Sh%#y Sammy won't allow me to update roms but I do have the problem on a regular basis.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Update......Mine has been REALLY bad the past few days. Not sure if weather is hurting signals, towers have been affected by power changes, or the recent solar flares, but the phones been 'flipping out' on 3G with 2 bars or less. I've even had it happen a few times when connected to Wi-Fi at home, which it NEVER did before (was always on mobile data connection).

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Update......Mine has been REALLY bad the past few days. Not sure if weather is hurting signals, towers have been affected by power changes, or the recent solar flares, but the phones been 'flipping out' on 3G with 2 bars or less. I've even had it happen a few times when connected to Wi-Fi at home, which it NEVER did before (was always on mobile data connection).

Ditto, worse signal than normal, setting button acting up a lot more, laggy moving between screens. Barely usable at work (where I spend the majority of my time :-/) and the Wifi has been slow, as well as the icon for signal strength for wifi showing little to none at all times.

I'm running the FB21 leak, which at first was doing well, and I was able to get GPS working almost instantly. Now it seems to have slowly degraded the signal, and GPS can take 30+ minutes to lock on (if it does at all).

Running GPS status does show 11 or 12 satellites in view, but wont lock on (previously it wouldn't even see them).

Arg.

*Edit*
My complaining here got me in the mood to complain directly to Sprint about the issues above, I'll see what they have to say.

Last edited:

DrakkenZero

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a solution. It's ugly, and it's not overly practical, but it works - so if you're reading this and returning / replacing is not an option... here's your out.

I got mine about 8 days ago and have noticed the same things described here. At first I thought it was something I'd done to it when I rooted it, but after seeing all this, I'm looking into returning it and/or getting the screen fixed.

I did discover a few interesting things through trial and error. I was originally using AOKP's ICS rom when the problem started - thought there was something wrong with the rom, so I tried the Caulken, CM9 Alpha 6, and originally ODIN'd back to the factory settings, confirmed issue is happening across all of them. Happened less on factory, but I suspect that's due to the modem it was using giving me better reception out here in nowheresville where I live.

I also confirmed that switching it over to Airplane mode stops it - but then you're in Airplane mode... so yeah.

Next, after re-rooting and re-ROMing, I downloaded an antique app (not on android market, this one I found in the wilds of the internet) called ButtonRemapper - icon is a green circle with a puzzle piece in it. From it, I remapped the hardware button for Menu to something completely useless - the "Focus" command. Since it's only active when you're taking a picture, it basically turned the hardware button off in normal use mode.

The good news is... by deactivating the Menu button, I stopped getting "phantom menu" presses - which also confirms 100% this is a HARDWARE problem. Anyone who wants to take this fight to Sprint/Samsung - there's some ammo for you.

The bad news is... I started getting phantom Search, Home, and Back presses once I'd blocked Menu. I wound up going back to my trusty ButtonRemapper and also setting all those buttons to Focus, which disabled them all as well.

Now, to complete things, I went into AOKP's settings (though other robs with this option should work as well) and activated the "Menu" button bar, giving myself a soft menu at the bottom of the screen that replicated the commands of the now-defunct hardware buttons - just like the Galaxy Nexus.

Top off with a strip of white or black electical tape to cover up the damn LEDs for your dead buttons. Lather, rinse, repeat.

ButtonRemapper -> [App] ButtonRemapper - Beta v0.2.4 (New Galaxy S version added) - xda-developers

halotropia

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Finally

I found a way that is working for me. Some of you may have this option, some dont. Configuration > Development option > Force GPU renderization (mark it). Worked for me. :), At least still working.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Finally

Just want to add that my battery is a little over a year old and I was one of the first to do the upgrade to 4.0.4 that had all those early issues. High battery drain in particular. I think that is what really killed mine prematurely. At any rate, I'm still rocking GB and it had been fine, but as of lately my phone was complete junk! I kept getting the task manager popping up. Slow to respond, screen flicker and apps closing, losing signal, you name it. My battery had the buldge. I bought a Samsung direct replacement, same exact battery from Amazon for $15 shipped. Popped it in last night and my phone is back to it's old snappy self. Perfect! So far. I'll keep you all posted, but I now love my phone on GB all over again! So if you have issues, get a new battery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seroo