New Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch

Andy U

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a new Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. I like it and it works well. But, it could work better. Plus, I want to remove a bunch of garbage that Sprint has preloaded that I do not want or need that I cannot delete. Plus, I have several applications that just start themselves that I do not necessarily need running all the time. I want to take control of my phone.

How do I know if this method is safe and effective. I rooted my old Galaxy S and it did not work out so well. Don't want to brick or damage a new phone.

I figured out that if I could find another operating system I can force my phone to boot from that on on my flash memory card. True or not? Is rooting a better answer?

Just want to have a phone that I can use to its full functionality.

Any help or advice?

Thanks,

Andy U

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
First and foremost, welcome to the forums!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...016-new-root-method-sfhub-automated-root.html

Follow this thread for root information. The process is pretty easy given the guys have worked hard to develop root and automate the process. Be sure to verify all the information in the above referenced thread and that your device software is compatible. Being that there has not been a software update released since early December you should be OK.

Root access is exactly what you need to remove the all the Sprint loaded apps. If using a PC, you'll need to use ODIN, if using a Mac (or Linux), you 'll need Heimdall. Good luck :)

Reactions: KennKub and Andy U

Andy U

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I will follow the link and do some reading and additional research as well.

Will an update render a root method inappropriate or ineffective?

Will I be able to view and then turn off all those applications that run in the background and tend to turn themselves on?

I am relatively inexperienced with rootinging. I tried to root my last phone, not too successfully. It was a Galaxy S. I got very tired and frustrated with its lack of responsiveness, erratic operation and short battery life. When I tried to root it, it didn't work out so well. I could not remove unwanted applications. But, I was able to install a tethering application.

Thanks,

Andy U

Reactions: KennKub

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Galaxy Andy.

No, an offical update will not render your rooted phone ineffective. When an update is published, most developers update their stuff as well.

You will be able to close or uninstall apps that you don't want. Many developers do that for you. (I am using Calkulin's ROM and he took out most of the junk I didn't want.)

As Sapient said, read read and read. Also, watch watch and watch. There are plenty of videos that walk through all this. qbking has a number of good tutorials.

Lastly, most here are more than willing to help if you get jammed up.

Good luck!

Reactions: KennKub

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez