Google Play Music Offline on SD Card?

bmbvideo

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to move from iTunes and start using Google Music so that I can have all of my music library available to me anywhere I go via the cloud. The problem is, in areas that I do not have cell phone service I'd still like to have access to a good chunk of my library. When you select albums to be available "offline" does this phone save those songs to the SD card?

I'm looking at getting a bigger external SD card. Don't wanna waist money if it won't help me though.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to move from iTunes and start using Google Music so that I can have all of my music library available to me anywhere I go via the cloud. The problem is, in areas that I do not have cell phone service I'd still like to have access to a good chunk of my library. When you select albums to be available "offline" does this phone save those songs to the SD card?

I'm looking at getting a bigger external SD card. Don't wanna waist money if it won't help me though.

Yep, it'll be stored in the Google Music folder.

tyhart44

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it'll be stored in the Google Music folder.

I'm not so sure about that. I have been trying and trying to find where "make available offline" stores it and I can't find it. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it puts it on the USB partition in some impossible to find folder. Try it out and see for yourself. If it puts it on your sd card (mnt/sdcard/external_sd) I sure can't find it.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so sure about that. I have been trying and trying to find where "make available offline" stores it and I can't find it. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it puts it on the USB partition in some impossible to find folder. Try it out and see for yourself. If it puts it on your sd card (mnt/sdcard/external_sd) I sure can't find it.

It's in the "sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music" folder. My apologies, it doesn't store it in the External SD card.

kassdog#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Currently there is no way. This is something Google will have to change. Recently car radio manufacters have been making android compatible radios via usb. One downside though is they can't access purchased songs. For this reason it needs to be fixed to have any chance of staying alive with itunes.

kassdog#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Right but I can't take that song then put it on a cd or anything. It's only available through google music.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

kassdog#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
What I mean is that I can't purchase a song through google music then put it on a cd. As where if you purchase a song through iTunes its yours to do what ever you want with.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Right but I can't take that song then put it on a cd or anything. It's only available through google music.

If I'm not correct I'm sorry but I thought Google allows you to sync your cloud music to and from your PC .

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

stevieq

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
You can download Google Music to your computer. They have a download manager that you can get and that allows you to bring music purchased through google to your computers desktop. From there you can do whatever you want with it. If you are in the google music player in your browser there is an option to download the song, if you select more than one song it will prompt you to use the google manager to download your music.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: thenameisnigel

jeduncan14083

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, tell me about it. I have a crap ton of music on the cloud right now, but Google Play Music gobbles up data when I stream it, so I've been trying to save music to my (apparently pointless) 32 GB mini SD, but for whatever reason when I "keep music" from the cloud, it clearly saves in a folder unable to be viewed, because I have about 6.5 GB worth of music "saved" for offline use, but they're literally nowhere to be found.

It's irritating because my phone only has like 8 GB internal memory, and I'd prefer not to clog it all up with music when I have such a high capacity micro SD card.

:(

VinnieZillah

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to Android from Palm and only because Palm doesn't have Google Maps anymore. I mainly use my phone to listen to music, I don't play Temple Surfer, so I thought I could just drag the music from iTunes onto the sd card and listen like I did with my Pixi and be happy... NOT!! Android apps ignore most of my files to the point where it recognized 207 out of the 826 I dragged onto the sd card -and I'm talking mp3's not m4a's. Maybe 10 or so were actually bought from iTunes. I tried a lot of apps today, but I think Google Play music is useful because it seems to convert music into an MP3 format that all Android apps are willing to play.

To get around the space issue I'd suggest downloading the songs manually to your SD card from the desktop application for Google Play Music. It ain't elegant, but it allows you to use that enormous SD card. Also note that Mac creates loads of extra indexing files with junk prefixes and .mp3 extensions so use Windows if possible.

DoctorKing

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Found this thread because I was quite bothered by the limitations I learned of by fooling around on the phone. I thought perhaps it was a glitch, but this thread confirms it is a 'feature'. Most likely a caving to the MAFIAA. So, here's some ways to get around this limitation.

1. Hack your phone, install Cyanogen mod. It's a custom version of android that removes much of the lock-in nonsense. You can even delete bloatware! The phone is finally yours again. What's more, it's even easy to do these days. Start here: www[dot]cyanogenmod[dot]org.
2. Keep using Play for streaming from the cloud, but load the songs you love onto your external SD and play them using another music player. I just tried PowerAmp. It did what I wanted, looks nice, and seems to have a lot of other features I haven't yet explored.

Not a perfect solution in either case, but these are the easiest methods I've found for getting done what it seems we all want to have done.

purplebluesummer

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I found a way but this is only if you're ok with it
i have a samsung galaxy siii but its all the same in this case
the way i buy music is either through google play, itunes, or youtube and then i download it and load it onto my other music accounts
so in my music folder on my computer ive got all my music files
go onto your personal laptop and go online to play.google.com/music. sign in. download the song u want if ur willing to use up one download (only way i know of.) plug your phone into your computer and put the music file in the folder it used to be in. sdcard(this part of the address is different for every phone)/android/data/com.google.android.music/files/ just put it in there and it will be stored there like you had downloaded it on an old android.