Google Maps Setting a Location

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm asking this because maybe I'm not using the right forum search words for my question, so I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I'm a big mountain biker, and would like to use my phone to "set" my location where I park my car and just ride and ride and ride without worrying about which way I'm traveling. But then I'd like to use the GPS on my phone to navigate me back to the car. Can Google Maps do this?

I have the worst luck with using the GPS/Google Maps on this phone - it never seems to be able to find me when I turn on the GPS toggle button (using UnNamed ROM). Is there a walkthrough for Maps if the app can do this "set my parking spot as my location" thing? I'd love to not have to worry about how I get back to my car when out riding. Thanks!!

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you should be able to set down a pin there that will stay while you move around.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Justadye4

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
if you long press on the area you park, then click on the name it gives you, you get an option to "share" this place. You can put it in a note if you use an app for notes (ColorNote, Evernote) or email it to yourself. From there, once it is saved, you can click on the link and it will take you back to google maps to that point, all you would have to do is say navigate to that point. Hope that helps.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you don't require turn-by-turn directions, a dedicated app like MyCar Locator might fit the bill.

It uses Google's Maps within its app and is a very simple interface. I use it when parking my car at a mall, ballpark, or just when I have to walk a ways to get to my destination. The light version is free and ad supported. For a buck twenty-nine you can get rid of the ads.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I think what you want is to "star" the location. Touching the blue locator should give you a "My Location" pop-up. Touching that should take you to a page with options for Map, Directions, Call, etc. In the upper right corner will be a gray star. Touching that will add the location to My Places, and then you can use My Places for directions to/from any other place.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice/suggestions. I think I will ride a trail that I am familiar with first and pinpoint my car before I take off and then see if it can navigate me back there when I stop riding and turn around. Essentially, what I'd like it to do is act like a compass so that the satellites can pinpoint the place where I physically am and then show which direction I need to travel to get back to my car (i.e. "My Location"). Hope that makes sense. Will let you all know how it works!

I also just remembered, too, that this may all be useless if I ride in a place with no signal >_<.

Crappy Sprint =).