ICS is rolling out again.

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I feel sorry for you young grasshopper. You will soon see ICS sucks on this phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

My ICS has been fine on my E4GT since I did the manual upgrade two weeks ago...I'm still curious what the differences are in the phones of those who have had issues compared to those who have had none. There has to be something...

My SWYPE never had issues, battery drain was the same as GB and no overheating, flash support is fine in the stock browser, no wallpaper issues, nothing...I love the update.

Can someone create a poll that asks a couple of questions (I can't figure out how to do it).

1) If you did OTA, update are you having issues?
2) If you did manual update, are you having issues?
Maybe also pose a question about how long you've had your phone.

vidroid

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I've had the new OTA update for much of the day now. So far no battery issues, it seems to be draining at the same slow rate as GB for me (lasts about 3 days with normal use). Swype is working fine. I did not do a factory reset after the update. My phone is only 2 months old with few apps so this could've helped. So far I'm happy with this revised OTA update.

MMelo512

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any idea exactly how theyre rolling out this new "improved" OTA ICS update? Id like to get mine soon :/...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Got mine yesterday, took about 5 minutes and its been smooth running from there. Honestly was not worried about what the update would do, phone has been a champ since the update.

Joten

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Got mine this morning and I'm at 60% battery after 4 and a half hours of moderate use. Not sure if that's bad or not but it's about the same, if not a little better, than what I had on GB. I have a ton of apps even though I've only had my phone for 6 months. I usually keep my 3g off when I'm not using it since data is crap where I live. So I dunno...

Like mostly everything except the little "select keyboard" notification that pops up every time I type something.

kilen71

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I did the manual ICS update and have been very happy with it. (I did a full data/factory reset and reformatted my micro sd card in the phone after the update).

Does anyone know if those of us that did the manual update will also get the new OTA update? Hopefully so.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if those of us that did the manual update will also get the new OTA update? Hopefully so.

The update is not new. It's just resuming the original, with the only difference being the update script automatically clears data on Swype.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
This maybe a dumb question, but here goes. I am going to be doing the manual upgrade to Cyanogenmod 9 and with the upgrade rolling out again, possibly a revised one? to me AGAIN? will it try to overwrite the Cyanogenmod 9? If so, is there a way to prevent this? or should I wait until after the revised? upgrade does it's thing so I don't have to do the manual upgrade twice? :-\

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sill waiting for ICS update on 4 phones. None have received the update. Guess I am stuck with GB for a while.

Ummmm....GB is better than ICS for now.....I did the update when it first came out and it messed up my phone....I had freezing issues to the point the battery had to be pulled out more than a few times....I was using a brand new Samsung battery after I updated to ICS.....also had heat issues to the point where I had to remove the ph from my pants pocket.....swype keyboard froze as well. I was fortunate enough to get GB back on to my ph via the Sprint Store Tech....The tech told me not to upgrade to ICS until they know for sure that the bugs are all worked out.....also told me their were many customers coming into their store to get their SGII ph's rolled back to GB......If I were you I'd wait a long time before deciding to update to ICS!:p

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This maybe a dumb question, but here goes. I am going to be doing the manual upgrade to Cyanogenmod 9 and with the upgrade rolling out again, possibly a revised one? to me AGAIN? will it try to overwrite the Cyanogenmod 9? If so, is there a way to prevent this? or should I wait until after the revised? upgrade does it's thing so I don't have to do the manual upgrade twice? :-\

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Hopefully my answer doesn't fall into the latter category. :)

When you flash a ROM like CM9, you are really not upgrading anything. You are simply flashing an entirely different operating system. This is very different than taking the manual upgrade file that contains the data of the official OTA update, and installing it.

To answer your main question, once you flash CM9, or another other AOSP based ROM, you will not be notified that there is a system update available for your phone via the network. Even if you somehow did and were able to download it, the install would fail in dramatic fashion. It would have no idea how to update the system sitting on your phone at the time. Still, this wouldn't happen. You'd never be prompted to update.

If you were to flash a modified Samsung Touchwiz ICS ROM based on the most recent official release version, you also would not receive update notifications, because the system would think you already updated as it would see you're on the current software version. If another update came out later, you would be notified of an update in that case, but again, the update would fail, because the system on your phone was not 100% stock.

In the end, once you start flashing software to your phone, you'll never worry about OTA updates again, as they basically become irrelevant. For an example, I had the FF18 official ICS ROM on my phone for about a month before the update was officially released. The OTA meant nothing to me, because I was essentially running the end result for weeks already.

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There are a TON of people writing here that are saying the exact same thing.

"I installed it the first time around and it screwed my phone therefore this one also sucks and you're all stupid for installing it."

Your opinion is fine. I totally understand feeling burned and not wanting to go through it twice. Your hesitation is deserved and your lack of trust is understandable.

That said, your comments are not helpful. I think people get it by now. The first round of updates screwed things up royally for people. The few posts in this thread from people that have actually updated to this new one seem to say that it's much better but it's really hard to tell because everybody else is complaining about the last one still.

Can you all please keep it in a different thread so we can read reports from people that have actually installed the new one in this one?

Just to clarify: If you've installed the latest one and had a bad experience, PLEASE let us know. But only if it was with the latest update.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii