Nexus 4 or Optimus G?

silx29#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello All!

I was just wondering if any of you guys are thinking about moving to Nexus 4 (would have to change to a GSM carrier) or the Optimus G?

Personally if Nexus 4 was out for Sprint, i think i would have jumped ship.

Plus I'm pretty satisfied with my Epic Touch still, I might even hold out for GS4.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Under the hood, both phones are basically the same except Sprint's version has an inferior camera to the AT&T Optimus G/Nexus 4 and with the non-Nexus phones, you'll be at the mercy of LG and the carrier to get updates to you.

I ordered a Nexus 4 because it's unlocked and thus able to use inexpensive pre-paid services like Straight Talk ($45/mo. for unlimited talk and text and data, but the last is in quotes) or T-Mobile's $30 unlimited text/data w/100 minutes of talk plans. With my work discount, I'm paying $78.mo. for my Everything 450 plan and TEP, so lopping ~$30/mo. off using Straight Talk AND getting off of Trudge's slow-ass slow unlimited dial-up data network sounds right to me. The savings in airtime in a year will pay for the phone itself and I'm not tied down for two years.

I still like my GS2 a lot am only moving from it because I've simply gotten fed the f@#% up with Trudge's pathetic 3G slows (can't really call it speeds) and utter lack of 4G. (They never finished WiMax and have no plans for LTE that I'm aware of.) I did some speed tests and sites that load in a few seconds on a co-worker's MyTouch 4G (T-Mo) take over a minute on mine. What good is a fast phone on a broken network? It's like having a Ferrari, but unpaved, boulder-strewn roads. What good is an unlimited ocean of data if you can only sip it through a coffee stirrer? What good is good hardware without the latest software? The GS3 is only starting to get Jellybean and it's highly unlikely the GS2 will ever get it without loading a ROM.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Sprints version with 13 Megapixel camera is inferior to the AT&T's version that has 8 Megapixel???

seriously?

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
forget about loading any Rom, on the LGo unlessyouhave a key to the locked up bootloader! But yea i tired of the now networks, later on speeds! A fresh nexus4 would be great with an sdcard! I seen an article about T-Mobile with a sdcard missprint on there website... if somehow their version really contained an sdcard slot I'dbe gone in a NY min!

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 isn't on your list. If I could I'd buy that instead of a Nexus 4 or Optimus G.

The Nexus 4 is $350 and the Note 2 is $650 retail. The Nexus 4 is the better bang for the buck, but the Note 2 is more feature packed.

I ordered the Nexus 4. The price cannot be beat.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 4 with prepaid TMo plans are the biggest bargain in wireless, unless your TMo reception is terrible where you are. Generally speaking, TMo has the worst voice but better data speeds than Sprint.

Personally, I went for the Note 2. The voice and data reception are much better than the E4GT I used to use and GPS locks quickly without ever needing to reboot.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm going for the N4. Gonna wait till inventory is restored and accessories are available. I need to pay an EFT (about $180) so waiting won't hurt too much.

I'm just tired of slow or no updates. The Note 2 is a very nice phone, but I wouldn't expect Key Lime Pie for 4-6+ months after its released by Google. Personally, I would rather get an unlocked N4 and N7 and wirelessly tether them. 2 for 1. Same price, and updates and enhancements will be timely.

Done with Sprint and locked phones. Phones are computers. Can you imagine if it took Dell 4-6 months to release a Microsoft update for your computer. This would be silly. No more for me anymore in the phone/tablet world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress