Active Applications widget, is it necessary?

tchafes

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I am constantly finding myself going into to the Active Applications widget and exiting open applications, or basically shutting them down. Is this even necessary?

The only time I really need to do this is when my Chrome browser locks up, which seems to be often BTW.

Am I wasting time by closing all the open apps all the time? I'd imagine there are a lot of owners that don't even use this widget, therefore have tons of apps open at once. I'm not even sure the widget is there on the home screens when you take the phone out of the box as a default widget.

(I'm not rooted)

Any advice?

Thanks!!

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This is not a default widget, but I have it added and find it quite useful. You can get ot the same thing from Applications > Task Manager, or on the home screen do a long press on the Home button and click 'Task Manager'. This is something everyone should know about because not all apps exit when you leave them or will only exit if you exit the right way. I find applications which do not have an exit app button, most of them if you back out of the app all the way to the home screen that kills most apps, but not all. This is a good way to save your battery life. You never know what night not have closed and still be sitting in the background killing all your battery life.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time. I just hold the home button to access it though, I don't use a homescreen widget. I'm a firm believer that it's there for a reason. :)

Karen Norval

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My older daughter and I have android phones with the widget on our home screen. We never,ever go over our data plan. Daughter no. 2 has an IPhone with no such warning. She ALWAYS goes over. I also have an IPad, and have to remind myself all the time to check on those running apps. Love love love to android...

Frank Arnold1

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I find it useful I had it on my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII SGH-T989 with ICS 4.0.3 until I upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 now it's gone.

Thanks cyberdman and uglyfido for the tip of hard press the home screen It worked on my Galaxy SII with 4.1.2.

Love the widget though move one screen to the right and see how many apps that didn't close, press on it and press exit all and BAM WAM they all close.

By the way it came stock on my Galaxy SII and with my Galaxy Exhibit 4G, both from T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Frank Arnold1

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am constantly finding myself going into to the Active Applications widget and exiting open applications, or basically shutting them down. Is this even necessary?

The only time I really need to do this is when my Chrome browser locks up, which seems to be often BTW.

Am I wasting time by closing all the open apps all the time? I'd imagine there are a lot of owners that don't even use this widget, therefore have tons of apps open at once. I'm not even sure the widget is there on the home screens when you take the phone out of the box as a default widget.

(I'm not rooted)

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Yes if you want your battery to last longer. Try it DON'T USE IT ALL DAY and then report how well your battery held up that day.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The app hasn't been updated for two years? That's a problem for me. Anyone having any issues with it?

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You can get ot the same thing from Applications > Task Manager, or on the home screen do a long press on the Home button and click 'Task Manager'...
...You never know what night not have closed and still be sitting in the background killing all your battery life.

Thanks for that tip on holding the HOME Button for the Task Manager. didn't know about that one! Now i can remove the widget and have more room on my home screens

Frank Arnold1

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that tip on holding the HOME Button for the Task Manager. didn't know about that one! Now i can remove the widget and have more room on my home screens

Well that works with Jelly Bean not sure with ICS
Personally I liked the widget move one screen over and could see whats still open.
Although my battery seems to be lasting longer with JB then it did with ICS.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I have yet to see a result of comparative tests between dummy closing apps one by one. Has anyone noticed that if you close this way an audio player on playback you will keep hearing until you restart and stop it the normal way? also, when you go to app manager after such massive closure,many apps will still be waiting for their turn.
This makes me think those app miracle makes notifying that by their auto closing of 25 apps they saved you 3h 47minutes are not what they claim to be else than drain on memory themselves.
Or those that divide the reg process into 3 healthier stages.

Or maybe it is weaker, one day batteries that help realise the value of this unproductive procedure. It would be funny to see google Android testers swipe 25 times at a turn to release the resources.

My bet is the long gone menu is just for dealing with GUIsnot so draining, especially because only one at a time can be operational.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87