Sprint pushing FL24

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Kinda stinks. This should be Jelly Bean. Samsung and Sprint working on this "fix" update likely delayed JB. March, now? Who knows.
Geez. Gonna go Nexus from now on.

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
It looks like their working on them simultaneously. The JB variant now if GA10. I'm hoping to see it next month.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It looks like their working on them simultaneously. The JB variant now if GA10. I'm hoping to see it next month.
I'm sure they were. It's just sad that it takes such a long time to put together an update. It's about selling new phones now about servicing existing customers. That's the 1 thing I admire about Apple...If your phone can handle it, you'll get the new OS on, or very near, the release date.

isidro7181

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure they were. It's just sad that it takes such a long time to put together an update. It's about selling new phones now about servicing existing customers. That's the 1 thing I admire about Apple...If your phone can handle it, you'll get the new OS on, or very near, the release date.

I agree apple does have faster updates . But its basically been the same OS over and over again Android brings more to the table

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to update the firmware on my phone. No luck. Then I plugged my phone into my computer and tried to update via Kies. No luck, again. Kies says that my FI27 is the latest version of the firmware. Guess I'll have to wait for Sprint to push it. Sigh.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to update the firmware on my phone. No luck. Then I plugged my phone into my computer and tried to update via Kies. No luck, again. Kies says that my FI27 is the latest version of the firmware. Guess I'll have to wait for Sprint to push it. Sigh.

Settings -> applications -> all -> Google services framework. Clear data. Wait 5 minutes. Settings, system updates, update Samsung software.

Voila, you will now update ota. Sometimes I have to do it twice for it to take.

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Really hoping we actually see this before March.. But honestly I'm really doubting that. I'm looking forward to my contract being up in November so I can upgrade.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Settings -> applications -> all -> Google services framework. Clear data. Wait 5 minutes. Settings, system updates, update Samsung software.
Thanks much, Shorty J!

I followed your steps, and did it twice. Alas, it did not work. I then cleared the Google Services Framework data one more time and rebooted my phone. After starting up, the phone prompted me that there was an update available. Yeah!

I was starting to get some nasty battery drain (6-8 hours, with little use, to empty) from something running in my "Kernel (Android OS)." I couldn't figure out what it was, so I was close to doing a factory reset. With FL24 pending, I was delaying the reset. It looks like the FL24 update unfroze the thing that was continuously tasking my cpu. It's nice to have my battery life back, without having to re-install all of my programs, etc. I'll do a factory reset when I get JB, but held off on this incremental update.

Thanks again!
Tom

BTW... I think that it is "Update Firmware" rather than the "Samsung software" that needs to be selected for OS updates. Could be wrong, as I was prompted on boot-up to update. But, in the past, I did updates by selecting "Update Firmware."

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks much, Shorty J!

I followed your steps, and did it twice. Alas, it did not work. I then cleared the Google Services Framework data one more time and rebooted my phone. After starting up, the phone prompted me that there was an update available. Yeah!

I was starting to get some nasty battery drain (6-8 hours, with little use, to empty) from something running in my "Kernel (Android OS)." I couldn't figure out what it was, so I was close to doing a factory reset. With FL24 pending, I was delaying the reset. It looks like the FL24 update unfroze the thing that was continuously tasking my cpu. It's nice to have my battery life back, without having to re-install all of my programs, etc. I'll do a factory reset when I get JB, but held off on this incremental update.

Thanks again!
Tom

BTW... I think that it is "Update Firmware" rather than the "Samsung software" that needs to be selected for OS updates. Could be wrong, as I was prompted on boot-up to update. But, in the past, I did updates by selecting "Update Firmware."

Good luck with your battery drain. I too started getting awful batt life with the previous update, Android Kernel sucking up batt life like none other. Looks like my phone kept waking up for no reason.

Update to FL24 didn't fix it for me. Still huge battery suckage. I installed "Deep Sleep Battery Saver", but no luck with it yet. One word of warning, FL24 includes something called "Samsung Connections Optimizer" or something like that. Basically it's a "smarter" WiFi manager. Well, all it did for me was constantly turn on my WiFi even when I had Llama shutting it off....was a royal pain in the ass, REALLY killed batt life, so I disabled it, (somewhere in the settings).

I'm pretty sure it's Samsung Software. It used to be "Update Android", but they changed that a few updates ago. Firmware is something different. But hell if I know, I regularly just try to update all of them to see what sticks.

sblair1269

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Sadly none of these actions worked for me, clearing the framework and rebooting. So I guess I will just wait patiently now for the update Gods to send it to my phone.

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree ShortyJ, the "Connections Optimizer" is killing me - or rather killing my battery. To disable, select "Settings - Mobile networks - Connections Optimizer - de-select Sprint Connections Optimizer."

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Dont expect much from this update, remember its still ICS, and everyone knows how bad ICS sucks. I have been on FK23 stock/rooted since the end of Dec., updated modem to GA10 2 weeks ago also new battery at end of Dec. and phone looks and works like a new phone with all the goodies of Jelly Bean. Prior to going to JB i was still on GB EL29, now I get the great battery life of GB with the freshness of JB.:)

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Worked for me the first time, thanks for the tip info

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non