Jelly Bean thinking USB Storage is on, and that's a problem

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know why Jelly Bean thinks my USB storage is on, and what i can do to turn it off?

because of that, i can't access my SD Card. i've tried unmounting and mounting, battery pulls, etc.

maybe there's a setting i'm missing?

thanks in advance,

Tree

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
All I noticed is that the mount point for the SD card changed. I used to be able to browse to it through the external_sd folder. Now things are mounted as

/storage/extSdCard
and
/storage/sdcard0

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
when i try to use my camera, i get "Turn off USB Storage before using camera".

to the best of my knowledge - albeit, my limited knowledge - there is no way to do this.

then, when i try to use SwiftKey, i can't, because it can't find my SD card.

ARGH!

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

to the best of my knowledge - albeit, my limited knowledge - there is no way to do this.

ARGH!

Sounds like what I had happen to my wife's phone... sure sounds like you're gonna have to format the phone's USB storage memory, read the thread here.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ouch/265496-after-gb27-blank-usb-storage.html
That's what the wife did and it fixed the camera error deal for sure!

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
more importantly, how do i format the USB memory? i formatted the SD Card, but i don't see where to format the USB memory....

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

ARGH!

Could it be that the camera storage is pointing to a location that no longer exists?

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
i do think that might be the case. it's also why thinks like swiftkey can't access the SD card.

because it can't find it. i have no idea how to remedy this.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
as i continue to self-diagnose this problem (until someone who really understands this stuff can help me figure it out), it does appear that there are some crossed wires, and renamed things.

when i attempt to move something from the device storage to the SD Card, it implies that it has done so. but when i go into settings>storage i can see that the memory available on my SD Card has remained the same, while the memory available in "USB Storage" has decreased.

(keep in mind my phone is not connected to the computer during any of this).

so, clearly, things that should be moving onto the SD Card are, instead, moving into USB Memory, which may or may not actually exist. when i use AppManager, it shows me that they are on the SD Card, but, as indicated earlier, settings>storage shows the file to be in "USB Storage".

does this make sense?

can anyone else offer some suggestions so i can have my camera and my apps that require an SD Card (like SwiftKey) back?

thanks!

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If you read carefully on my post, in the case of my wifes phone, the notification bar actually showed a micro SD Card icon with an exclamation ("I") point in it. Then when I swiped down on the notification bar it gave me a message saying "Blank USB Storage: USB storage is blank or has unsupported media"

After tapping on this message it gave me the option to format the USB memory card. Don't know if your has the same setup or not, but have you tried to plug the phone into the PC thru the USB cord and see if the PC can see the phone storage? In my case I could see the phone storage in the PC, but could not access it!

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Almost forgot... nothing was deleted, she only lost her ringtones setup, background screen setup and a few other custom settings like that a couple of hours later she was back to her old settings.

i formatted the SD card, but it did not help. is there a way to format the USB Storage?

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
USB storage is not something you can delete. USB storage basically allows you to transfer files to whatever device/PC you're connected to. When I had USB storage turned on my S2 T989 it would not allow me to go into the camera. After I turn it off I can enter the camera app once again. Whenever I plugged in my S3 or S2 you usually have the USB logo/sign at the top left of your screen. This setting allows you to switch from Media Device (MTP) and Camera (PTP). It's different with the S2 T989. The USB logo allows me to turn on or off the usb storage.

So unless you have the phone plugged into a computer it should technically not say that you are connected neither should it mean anything as you have no USB device connected to your phone.

I don't know if my post is any help but your goal is not to format the usb storage as this is your computer or whatever device connected it through the USB port. In my opinion this may be a bug (quite a serious/annoying one.) If your phone is not connected to anything then your phone is "hallucinating" and thinking there is some other device connected.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
USB storage is not something you can delete. USB storage basically allows you to transfer files to whatever device/PC you're connected to. When I had USB storage turned on my S2 T989 it would not allow me to go into the camera. After I turn it off I can enter the camera app once again. Whenever I plugged in my S3 or S2 you usually have the USB logo/sign at the top left of your screen. This setting allows you to switch from Media Device (MTP) and Camera (PTP). It's different with the S2 T989. The USB logo allows me to turn on or off the usb storage.

So unless you have the phone plugged into a computer it should technically not say that you are connected neither should it mean anything as you have no USB device connected to your phone.

I don't know if my post is any help but your goal is not to format the usb storage as this is your computer or whatever device connected it through the USB port. In my opinion this may be a bug (quite a serious/annoying one.) If your phone is not connected to anything then your phone is "hallucinating" and thinking there is some other device connected.

and yes. this is pretty much my point.

i was pretty sure you can't delete USB storage, but an earlier post confused me on that.

my phone is not plugged into my computer. yet it thinks USB storage is on/available/etc. which renders my camera useless.

i believe this is the same bug that makes my phone believe my SD card doesn't exist, which renders many of my apps, including SwiftKey, useless.

when i attempt to "move" something to the SD Card, it shows up in USB Storage, so i believe there is something crossing paths or has misnamed.

and no one is able to help, which is extra annoying. i wonder if i can re-install jellybean

heelfan69

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 phones one had gingerbread the other ics. I installed jellybean on both phones,the gingerbread phone did fine, the other is having the same problem as yours. I have tried everything but a factory reset, I even reinstalled jb it still has the same problem when you try to open gallery or camera.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 phones one had gingerbread the other ics. I installed jellybean on both phones,the gingerbread phone did fine, the other is having the same problem as yours. I have tried everything but a factory reset, I even reinstalled jb it still has the same problem when you try to open gallery or camera.

ugh. that is worrisome. :eek:/

heelfan69

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a ton of pictures on usb storage and none on the ext sd card. I cant even back up the phone cause her phone doesnt show any files on on usb storage.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
i am wondering if this is happening because when i have my phone plugged into my computer as a MTP it doesn't seem to recognize the phone is there, and won't do the update.

but when i have it plugged in as a PTP it does, and will proceed with the update.

as a result, when it comes out of it's update mode, it believes it's still hooked up to USB, even when it's not.

heelfan69

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Have u tried to get the drivers for your phone by disconnecting the internet? By doing that it will only get the drivers off of your pc or phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez