Galaxy S2 still worth it?

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, my friend is in the market for a new phone but due to a tight budget is looking for a free phone on sprint. The Galaxy S2 is free on contract and now has jelly bean which makes it look really appealing. Do you all think its still worth it to get. My friend is not a power user and will rarely use this phone for more than basic smartphone uses. Is the battery life okay? Do you think it will ever get updated past 4.1? Thanks for any suggestions.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the S2 is still a very good phone, and for a non power user probably as good as anything out there and better than most. Will it get updated past 4.1? I personally doubt it. But for a non-power user the improvements in 4.2 are going to be trivial, I think.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest payin 50 bucks at best buy for the s3 or if his budget is so tight that he can't afford to pay I would suggest the htc evo 4g lte. Best buy has it for free. I don't work for best buy or try to promote it just trying to help. I like the galaxy phones better than htc but if the phone is free get the newest one as it will be better and more than likely get updates as opposed to the epic touch.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

HeisenbergXX

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
i have this phone for boost. the phone is bad *** bro. the music player is great, the camera is great, it runs smooth. The google play store sucks. ALOT. JB 4.1 does add a couple of nice features. i don't like the fact that the LED turns PINK when the battery is going down (Major DownFall, for some) About the battery... after 4.1..HORRIBLE. REALLY HORRIBLE. I've been asking about this & a person from the battery thread (for this phone) said that a full restore MIGHT be the answer, i haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it's the right thing. Try the Phone, i have mine in Titanium. i wanted it in white but accidentally got this color & it's bad ***! i also have the TRIDENT KRAKEN AMS Case for the S2 (Boost) & it's awesome!

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the reply, I do worry that battery life wont be good enough but thats what spare chargers at the office are for I guess...

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
No smartphones have great battery life and they won't until the manufacturers stop the race to the bottom on thickness and weight. My SII is great and honestly I don't think I have bad battery life. On the other hand, I do carry a spare charged battery and an external battery pack (of course, that could be related to playing Ingress).

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I really love the S2 except that Sprint sucks as far as internet and dropped calls. But that being said it's an awesome phone. What I've read on the S3 and 4, me personally I'd stay with the S2. Not worth for me to pay extra $$ just for a few new options, unless your a gadget geek. But the S2 is more than I need.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I would just eye places like Amazon or best buy for deals on s3, should be very cheap to get one now that the s4 is out.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Note II

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just a few weeks ago I helped a friend pick up a SG2 from Sprint store. Phone is basically free at the moment but upfront cost is $50.00 & there is a $50.00 mail in rebate. I upgraded my friends new phone to Jelly Bean immediately. IMHO it's the best free phone you can get from Sprint at the moment. If your friend wants to spend more then get the SG3 and wait a little while before buying it. The price may drop as it's only $50.00 at Best Buy.....remember if there's anything wrong with the phone from Best Buy you cannot take it back to a Sprint Store, you gotta take it back to Best Buy. Just my 2 cents!

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I need help guys. I am an iPhone user and although I know android well enough to use it I have never had my own android phone. My friend got the S2 and isnt sure how to load jelly bean on. They only have a Mac no windows so how do they get Jelly Bean on it? Can anyone help me out here?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I need help guys. I am an iPhone user and although I know android well enough to use it I have never had my own android phone. My friend got the S2 and isnt sure how to load jelly bean on. They only have a Mac no windows so how do they get Jelly Bean on it? Can anyone help me out here?

Go to settings, then system update, and then click on update firmware.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that didnt seem to be working.. It spent about 20 mins searching for an update... but I found samsung's support page that details how to update using Kies. That should do the trick. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings, then system update, and then click on update firmware.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Don't give out wrong info! the update can only be done using a pc or mac......Sprint will not send OTA cuz JB update is huge!
go to samsung website to SG2 ph & download JB from there......

Jeremy Ruzanski

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Only real downfall I have with my s2 is **** poor reception... wife just got the s3 which she has no problems receiving signal...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely still worth it. But, it depends on your friend's budget. If he can swing it, I say get a S3. If not, then the S2. On GB27 Jellybean, I get decent battery life on OEM 1800mah battery (screen-on time of ~3hrs & 30 mins). After adding a Gorilla Gadget 3500mah extended battery, I get> 8hrs screen time.

Even though I have a Galaxy S4 now, I still love my S2 and use it everyday. :D

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just went from the HTC EVO 4G LTE to a white S2 Ep-Touch . It's a little smaller which is what I wanted. I like this phone but the battery life is not as good. Bought an extra on Amazon with and external charger. Solved my issues. There are a few things I miss about the Evo, but so far I'm doing pretty good. SwiftKey is slower on the S2 compared to the Evo however, which has slowed me down just a but. But it's not crippling.

The 1st thing I did after getting the S2 was load JB on it. Which the phone handles pretty well actually. Makes it so much better than ICS.

Last edited:

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I personally would get the E4gTouch, IF I was on a month to month contract. IMHO would not sign a 2 year contract. Why? Because Samsung will be focusing their updates on the SG3 and SG4 and next year the SG5 will probably rollout...so, you might get left behind on maintenance updates. However, on the flip side, accessories for it will be dirt cheap! Don't get me wrong, I have had mine for 19 months and JB has breathed new life into it...I love it. But I can't wait to get off Sprint's SUPER SLOW unlimited data network and move to ATT or VZW.

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE
So I went and bailed (kaka) sprint and the S2 and got the S4 with At&t..............friggin different world. Bad *** phone with services that actually works!!

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE
So I went and bailed (kaka) sprint and the S2 and got the S4 with At&t..............friggin different world. Bad *** phone with services that actually works!!

Sounds great, Sprint data sucks in my city too (two WiMax towers, and zero LTE). So, kill me with the price. How much do you have to pay AT&T every month?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo