Insufficient storage space.

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
The past week or so whenever ANY app tries to update, it downloads up to 100%, then it says the app could not be updated due to insufficient storage space.
I've still got 3GB of space left in "USB Storage", so I don't understand how that isn't enough...
"System memory" says it only has 239MB left though.

I assume system memory is where these apps are stored. How can I increase the space available?

Also, I've been thinking about getting a 16-32GB microSD card.
I'm hesitant though, because most have mediocre reviews due to many of them being DOA or dying weeks or months after purchase.
Any recommendations?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your USB storage will not effective this situation. The OS uses the system partition so that is the area of concern.

Couple things...

Try clearing out any un necessary applications.

If you have a ton of text messages sitting on your device that is also eating up valuable space. This case consider installing and using SMS Backup & Restore to save your texts to your USB storage/Online or computer and you can then clean up the mess and still have them available if need be.

Try and do a good overall house cleaning. Only having 239 MB left is cutting it very close to the needed space to complete the update and function properly.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I've been seeing that lately on mine too. I never even thought to start purging old messages.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The past week or so whenever ANY app tries to update, it downloads up to 100%, then it says the app could not be updated due to insufficient storage space.
I've still got 3GB of space left in "USB Storage", so I don't understand how that isn't enough...
"System memory" says it only has 239MB left though.

I assume system memory is where these apps are stored. How can I increase the space available?

I'm hesitant though, because most have mediocre reviews due to many of them being DOA or dying weeks or months after purchase.
Any recommendations?

House cleaning will always help. Look at the storage graph in Settings. See where most of your data lies. As for SD cards; get a higher quality one. I have been using San Disk cards and none have failed me. I stick to class 4 though. Most cells don't like the class 10, and the smearings I have seen on other postings involve class 6 and higher. Unless you are a photo taking junkie, the higher class doesn't mean anything.

Jon Goodwin

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have figured out how to fix this. After so many frustrating fails I got the fix. First step is go into a file explorer with root access. Second in the root directory click on data, once in the data folder click on app-lib folder. Last step is scroll down to the data folder for the app you are trying to update or install and delete it. Thrn go into the market and try to install. It worked for me n I hope it does for you.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have figured out how to fix this. After so many frustrating fails I got the fix. First step is go into a file explorer with root access. Second in the root directory click on data, once in the data folder click on app-lib folder. Last step is scroll down to the data folder for the app you are trying to update or install and delete it. Thrn go into the market and try to install. It worked for me n I hope it does for you.

I'm using the Root Explorer function built-in to ES File Explorer. From the Root Directory I see the Data folder. However, when I click on data, the only "app" folders I see are "app", "app-asec", and "app-private", with no sign of the "app-lib" folder you mention above. When I click on the "app" folder, I see the APK files for each installed app. However, I doubt that is what you're recommending to delete.

Any help and/or clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

bustanson

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Can someone tell me why on my HTC Leo (HD2) with 448 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM factory specs, 4.0.4 android, I can see only 150 MB of storage?!? Evem i have 42megs of free space I cant' install a 22 app.

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been having this same problem too. I deleted about 400MB of videos and pictures and now it seems to have stopped (which is odd because I thought apps used up space in a different partition)?

Now I get the error about an invalid pak file. Constantly.
1/10 apps that update will give this message, and I have good coverage where I am.

Occasionally apps downloading will get stuck at 100% or in the middle of the installation process, causing me to have to reboot or force close the downloader.

All of these weren't ever issues with ICS or GB.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Now I get the error about an invalid pak file. Constantly.
1/10 apps that update will give this message, and I have good coverage where I am.

For the "Invalid APK File" issue, I recommend you go "Manage Apps", find and click on the "Google Play Store" app, then "Clear Cache" + "Clear Data". You might have to login to the store app again next time you open it. If this doesn't resolve the issue, I then recommend repeating the same steps previously mentioned, but go one step further and "Force Stop then "Uninstall Updates". You will later be prompted to do a fresh install of the Play store app... which will hopefully resolve your "invalid file" issue. Good Luck!

Rohit Sharma4

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The last method on how to fix insufficient storage available error on android phones that can be followed to remove the bug is a little complex. It requires the use of a PC or a laptop and begins with downloading and installing the Java Development Kit if it is not already installed. Follow this up by downloading and installing the latest release of the android SDK. Initiate the command prompt by clicking on the start button and typing ?cmd?. Right click on the command prompt and run with the administrator rights. When the dialogue box appears, click on ?Yes?. Proceed to type the command; cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools, on the ?cmd?.
How To Fix Insufficient Storage Available Error

This is about half through this third step on how to fix insufficient storage available error on android phones. Now on your android phone, click on Menu button and scroll to Settings. Once here find Applications and on Applications find Development and enable the USB debugging. After completing this, connect the android phone to the computer using the USB cable. Perform the following command ?adb shell pm getInstallLocation? and you will get options from the output. The output options are; 0 or auto which the system decides the best location, 1or internal if you want to install the application in the internal storage of the android phone and finally 2 or external to install the application on external storage. Since the android devices do not have vast internal storage resources, a good choice would be option 2 which is expandable. Finally, go to the phone and disable USB debugging and close the command prompt.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Any recommendations?

I know this doesn't address the primary issue, but with regard to how well SD cards hold up I've been very satisfied with SanDisk. I've been using the same 16GB card in two phones over a couple of years' time. When I got the new phone I simply transferred the card from the old to the new and all my music, contacts, and other stuff was intact.

Last edited:

gabila72

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I solved this with App Cache Cleaner. You can manually delete cache for a single application, but App Cache Cleaner provides a list of apps sorted by cache sizes and obviously an option to " delete all".
I used to get Invalid apk, or package too. That solved too. I guess it has something to do with full cache folder..

Stu40

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You can free up heaps of storage space by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either. I restored 1.4G of space on my Samsung Galaxy S2 doing this.

mediasres

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Stu40 - thanks for this. Worked perfectly.

I seemed to have had a different storage problem error message a few months ago, and after Googling around read that it was related to a bug that produced a ton of log rewrites. I ended up just doing a factory reset which (temporarily) solved that insufficient storage message. On forums I had read though that the problem would return. In any case, after a couple of trouble free months I started getting a new error message on app updates like the one of this thread and your *#9900# worked perfectly.

Olly1650

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Simple solution. Press phone and select keypad. dial *#9900#. A new menu appears. press the second one down "Delete dumpstate/logcat" then just press home to exit.. Done, you'll have bags of extra device memory with no ill effects. Should free up to a gig of device memory, it did on mine.

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My phone just tries to dial out...'the number you have called is incorrect.." No menu selection option. How to I 'enter' the code?? Tks
Simple solution. Press phone and select keypad. dial *#9900#. A new menu appears. press the second one down "Delete dumpstate/logcat" then just press home to exit.. Done, you'll have bags of extra device memory with no ill effects. Should free up to a gig of device memory, it did on mine.

MichZem

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It worked for me , after several weeks of endless attempt to solve the problem.
Didn't know this hidden menu (dialing *#9900#) .
Great ! Thanks !