Insufficient storage space.

espygene

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have tried the *#9900# idea but keep getting Incorrect MMI code. I have a pantech burst. Any help. I have already switched my storage location to external use abd command but now I have 200 MB left internally but can not even download a 1.7mb app.

The last method on how to fix insufficient storage available error on android phones that can be followed to remove the bug is a little complex. It requires the use of a PC or a laptop and begins with downloading and installing the Java Development Kit if it is not already installed. Follow this up by downloading and installing the latest release of the android SDK. Initiate the command prompt by clicking on the start button and typing ‘cmd’. Right click on the command prompt and run with the administrator rights. When the dialogue box appears, click on ‘Yes’. Proceed to type the command; cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools, on the ‘cmd’.
How To Fix Insufficient Storage Available Error

This is about half through this third step on how to fix insufficient storage available error on android phones. Now on your android phone, click on Menu button and scroll to Settings. Once here find Applications and on Applications find Development and enable the USB debugging. After completing this, connect the android phone to the computer using the USB cable. Perform the following command ‘adb shell pm getInstallLocation’ and you will get options from the output. The output options are; 0 or auto which the system decides the best location, 1or internal if you want to install the application in the internal storage of the android phone and finally 2 or external to install the application on external storage. Since the android devices do not have vast internal storage resources, a good choice would be option 2 which is expandable. Finally, go to the phone and disable USB debugging and close the command prompt.
I found out the commands are actually adb shell pm get-install-location to find out if it is 0,1,2 and adb shell pm set-install-location 2 to set it as external card location.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegrandmasterb

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this problem, however I am trying to work something else in relation to it.

I had Wifi on and its setup to auto download updates for apps. My question is, will all apps keep automatically trying to download and install if this is left on? If it fails once will it keep trying over and over again or?

My internet is capped and trying to work out why and it is the only thing I can think of that my phone is constantly downloading all of the time. Is there anyway I can check this as to what wifi had been downloading?

Thanks.

CourtDKing

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey, my phone has the "not enough storage space" notification also. But my problem is that, I've deleted all game apps, have no texts, emptied my email trash, deleted all my files and its still telling me i have no storage space. I got it looked at and the person who helped told me that i had to move my apps to my SD card which my phone won't let me do! I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, please help

glgumm

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
captfbgnet, did you ever figure how to dial the fix number and not get it to dial? I have the same probem, I have Verizon and an LG Lucid.

glgumm

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever figure out how to input the fix *#9900#, as I was getting the same response as you were, on Verizon with LG Lucid 4G.

My phone just tries to dial out...'the number you have called is incorrect.." No menu selection option. How to I 'enter' the code?? Tks

Ninja49

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am having the same Insufficient Storage problem, and my phone will not allow me to do the #9900# trick. Keeps saying there is a MMI Error. I am using the Galaxy Note 1 and running out of space for storage. Please explain how to do the 9900 fix, thanks!

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My phone has been having this for a while and now my wifes phone does the same thing. I've done the *#9900# to both frequently, but it doesn't really get rid of much. It is almost like false advertising. I've got a 16GB phone, but only 2GBs are allocated to phone storage, the rest is allocated to USB storage and my phone barely uses it. It seems like a really stupid way to have the file system set up. My phone won't install stuff to USB storage, so in essence I have a 2GB phone, not a 16GB phone. Wouldn't it make more sense to be the other way around. Why USB storage at all? None of these options really work for me. Is there some way this can be fixed?

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
you can free up heaps of storage space by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and select option 2 ?delete dumpstate/logcat? in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either. I restored 1.4g of space on my samsung galaxy s2 doing this.

after weeks of suffering your method solved the problem..many thanks.

Jack Hayes

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you STU, this corrected my memory issue.. very easy fix and I hope everyone that has this problem will give this a try. THANKS AGAIN STU, I have been looking for a fix that did not require me to root or do any other configuration to my phone.
:D

Mangaro

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I tried to call the code *#9900# several times, but I get "welcome to Verizonwireless, your call can not be completed as dialed". No new screens, other than this voice notification. I have motorola razr m. Please, help!

John351

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Insufficient storage space - Error Message on Installing or Updating Apps from Google Play

*#9900# worked so easily, and with such a good result well, that I wonder why it is so difficult to find this solution on the Internet.
Of course I'm so happy :) with the result - I was able to install a new App (Circa News) and I still have 877MB free memory (1.1 GB used) [I guess that's RAM].
I would appreciate it if someone could explain, in easy technical terms:
A. just what "Delete dumpstate/logcat" does to my Android?
B. Is this a maintenance job which should be repeated on a regular basis (much like a complete shut down of a PC - rather than 'sleep' or 'hibernate'?)
FYI I have been using the
1. "FastReboot" App, which "Closed/restarted the following processes" and gives a long list and claims to have recovered lots of memory
2. "Cache Manager" which offers "Clean All Cache" / "Flush cache memory from listed Apps??" for the entire list of Apps (I won ca. 20 MB and now it asks me to rate the App.)
Neither of the above helped with the "Insufficient Storage Space" Error. [Can I now remove these Utilities, as they didn't do what I was hopiing for?]
Nor did uninstalliing a bunch of Apps which I don't use very often - I guess I can continue to have them on my my device.
So *#9900# came in the nick of time. THANKS Guys for your recommendation.
Any background info/explanation re. Deletedumpstate/logcat whould be great.
Cheers & have a great 2014.
= John

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Insufficient storage space - Error Message on Installing or Updating Apps from Google Play

Great information, John351. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am trying this on gs3mini. it lets me get through to the delete dumpstate/logcat then comes up delete dump! when I press it, but it does nothing. can you help please? also it states 437mb free space but is still coming up with low storage space and will not let gallery/ camera etc be used. thanks

thegrandmasterb

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
As many have mentioned #9900# is a useless solution as it doesnt work on all S2 phones. So can someone advise on what the other MMI codes may be for other S2 models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753