Pushed Updates.... While Rooted (?)

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
SO according to very well respected sources... Sprint is pushing a Samsung Galaxy S III security software update today.

I have rooted mine using QBKings videos above.

So...I have questions
1)...now what?
2) Do we need to follow the unroot video, then get the update, then root again?
3) Will the update break root methods?
4) Do I wait until someone else does it?

5) If I get an update notice...can i just nandroid backup to yesterday and make it go away until someone has the answer?

I have had only 1 android device before this. I helped others wit theirs, but I'm no Dev by any means. While I can read directions and follow someone else's steps to rooting my phone, I'm still not the most confident in how exactly everything works...I just know to read twice and follow steps #truth :-\

anyway, a bit of guidance on this update would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
~j

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
RootKeeper (an app) should work and help you keep root.

OTA's generally break root. If you're going from one version of Android to another (like 4.0.2 to 4.0.4), you need to make sure the root method applies to that new version.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
ok, so If I'm understanding THIS thread correctly...

If you take the Sprint Security OTA update, you will temporarily lose root, but you will be updated to LF9 which will fix Google wallet.

You then need to re-install CWM...which is now updated to V4 the same way as before...

Then you will need to gain root again, using the 4th revision of root for recovery.

are we all on the same page here?

I don't want to have to use THISHow to Unroot / Unbrick the Samsung Galaxy S III - Latest - YouTube! :D (its QBKings unroot/unbrick method youtube vid)

can someone please confirm? thanks in advance

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
ok, so If I'm understanding THIS thread correctly...

If you take the Sprint Security OTA update, you will temporarily lose root, but you will be updated to LF9 which will fix Google wallet.

You then need to re-install CWM...which is now updated to V4 the same way as before...

Then you will need to gain root again, using the 4th revision of root for recovery.

are we all on the same page here?

I don't want to have to use THISHow to Unroot / Unbrick the Samsung Galaxy S III - Latest - YouTube! :D (its QBKings unroot/unbrick method youtube vid)

can someone please confirm? thanks in advance

If you accept the update while rooted, you will not lose root but the update will fail. Been there and done that earlier today.

I used QBking's unroot method and now I'm hoping to see the update soon. If I don't, I'll reroot and flash freeza's new ROM that has the LF9 update built in.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I had to do the same....I never tried the update while rooted....I used the unroot method and as soon as I booted the phone up unrooted, the update popped up on my phone. I updated without a hitch, then re-installed cwm v4 this time, then root v4. then i tried to launch wallet for the first time and I got a message saying that the version of wallet I have is no longer supported and i need to update. So i update, and i still get the message. tried over and over again. Uninstalling, and re-installing...but it was a no-go for wallet..... weird. so i un-installed it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38