Guide to wipe Nougat, flash Marshmallow, and block future updates

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
This guide will show you how to wipe your S7/S7 Edge, revert back to Marshmallow (Android 6), and block future updates from Samsung. However, it is not “press-a-button” type of operation. You must be prepared to do the following:

- Know how to manually backup your important data to the SD card, or to a computer (You won’t be able to use the Google/Samsung restore function)
- Know how to sideload apps
- Be comfortable using adb comments to assess you phone
- Be prepared to re-setup your phone from scratch (Again, you won’t be able to use the Google/Samsung restore)
- After everything is done, you will lose the ability to use automatic System Backup to Google/Samsung. Google sync will still work.

1) Back up all important data to SD card. Sync as much information as you can to Google (Calendar, Address Book, etc.)
2) Search from Play Store for a free app called "package disabler - app freezer”**. Install it. Read the instructions on Play Store page of this app regarding using it for non-rooted devices (via adb commands). You could even try to apply it, just to test it out.
3) Download from Play Store “ES File Explorer” (free app). Use it to back up the above app; that is, save the apk file locally, and move it to SD card.
4) Google for a guide on how to flash stock Samsung firmware via Odin. There are many out there, including Youtube videos. Read and watch a few of these, and make sure you get the idea.
5) Find the stock Samsung firmware from Sammobile.com. Make sure you download the right version (Marshmallow) for YOUR variant of S7/S7 Edge.
6) Before you wipe your phone, you should also install Samsung driver in a computer, download the adb packages, and test to make sure that your computer is working to communicate with your phone via adb. Again, there are many guides out there. Google for it.

-------- This is the point of no return, make sure you backed up everything important ---------
7) Reset your phone, make sure all “find my phone” is turned off. Then follow a guide in step 5 to flash Android 6.0.x to your phone.
8) Set up your phone without connecting to the internet. Don’t sign in to any account.
9) While still not connecting to internet, side load “Package Disabler - App Freezer”. Follow the instructions on the Google Play page of this app on how to use it for non-rooted devices (via adb commands).
10) Still not connecting to the internet, use the app to freeze com.wssyncmldm. This will block the phone from looking for OTA updates.
11) Now you can connect to the internet, and setup your phone and usual. That’s it.

**There are other apps out there that could block future updates. I recommend this (free) one, because you will be able to sideload the app to your phone, and run it without connecting to the internet. Other paid app requires checking your paid license over the internet. Once you connect your phone to internet, it will find the Nougat update, and permanently put a notification badge on the System icon.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Some people, not myself, just want to go back to Marshmallow. If it makes them happy there is really nothing wrong with that.

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I can understand wanting to go back. It always seems with Samsung updates the battery life depletes. I get 4-5 hrs of SOT within a 24 hr span on N. I got around 5-6 on MM.

Last edited:

nkvd41

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello.
Thank You very much for this post. You are a saint.
Just updated overnight and Nougat is just disgusting with its changes to icons, fonts, setting layout etc

Two additional questions:
1. can all guide steps be applied to S6 Edge+ without changes?
2. Will this guide steps load and apply all other existing updates but Nougat? If no, is it possible to change the guide?
3. Will new Marshmallow security updates be downloaded and applied?

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
1. Hypothetically yes. As long as you back up all important data, no harm to try.

2. Possibly. In this case you don't need to side load the app. Just flash marshmallow, set up the phone to connect to internet, let it does system update (just not nougat). Then download the disabler, and block nougat. You will however have the update reminder badge indefinitely.

3. The update in step 2 should take care of this.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Some people, not myself, just want to go back to Marshmallow. If it makes them happy there is really nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. I have two S7 Edge phones upgraded to Nougat and an unlocked Edge on MM. I want to keep the unlocked Edge on MM because of some features that were removed or "crippled" in Nougat. Nothing wrong with wanting to stay on the previous version.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I have two S7 Edge phones upgraded to Nougat and an unlocked Edge on MM. I want to keep the unlocked Edge on MM because of some features that were removed or "crippled" in Nougat. Nothing wrong with wanting to stay on the previous version.
Haven't seen you around in a while👀 Glad to see you're still alive and kicking. Your vast knowledge is always welcome around here☺️

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d