So many different ways to root this phone. Which way is best?

MatthewGGLenn

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. I have researched for the last 3 days and it seams like there are many different ways to root this phone. Looks like CWM and TWMP are also already available for the phone. The phone is actually not mine its a good friends. I am looking for a root tutorial that is safe. I don't want to have to re flash firmware or get it stuck in boot loops.

I have come across a few ways to root the phone:
1. Is the redmondpie.com version located here Root Galaxy S3 On Android 4.1.2 [How-To Tutorial] | Redmond Pie
But it says "your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is now rooted on the latest XXEMC2 firmware" at the end of it.

2. There is also the SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT located here [SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery + MORE [SPR] - xda-developers

3. Then there is the tutorial on this site located here http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/203615-guide-updated-how-root-your-sprint-galaxy-s3.html

But I need the drivers for windows 7 I am not using windows 8.

In some of the rooting tutorials you need to know the build number and or the firmware. I do not know how to find out that information.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about rooting this phone. And also can I just install CWM or TWRP and the flash a root kit through that?

Please any information or guidance would help.

Thank you!

hewey_mx5

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I just followed bbking77's I think method off of YouTube. He gives you links to everything you need. The build number and firmware info are on the phone. Go into settings, scroll down to about phone, and all that info is there.

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I used, and recommend, Skunkape's procedure in this forum. It's simple, safe, won't wipe your data, doesn't mess with your ROM, and has been used successfully by many. Everything you need is linked directly in the post.

MatthewGGLenn

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you hewey_mx5 and meyerweb. I will review both methods. I won't be rooting the phone till Friday night but after I review and choose a "Rooting Method" I will let you know how I made out.
Thanks again for the suggestions..

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest using the root method on this site given by spunkape. It is very easy used it myself worked like a charm. Plus then if you want to unroot for some reason his guide for that is here as well.

dave31175

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I used, and recommend, Skunkape's procedure in this forum. It's simple, safe, won't wipe your data, doesn't mess with your ROM, and has been used successfully by many. Everything you need is linked directly in the post.

I just downloaded the root kit from the original post in that thread and am concerned that most of the files in it are from Sept 2012. Will it work on a brand new Sprint GS3 with the latest updates?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes indeed, it will. Someone just used it on a Sprint GS3 with the latest firmware and posted about it just a day or two ago.

All this does is give you root access and install a custom recovery. It doesn't change the ROM at all.

dave31175

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed, it will. Someone just used it on a Sprint GS3 with the latest firmware and posted about it just a day or two ago.

All this does is give you root access and install a custom recovery. It doesn't change the ROM at all.

That's exactly what I need. Thanks!