I want to root but need an overview of pros and cons

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If there's a thread with this info please let me know. I'm not worried about the geek side of things meaning all the tech steps aren't a deciding factor. But are there any universal cons to doing this? Would you recommend any of the user friendly apps now available to complete the process?

Thanks in advance!

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Cons...

1. Getting OTA Updates are a pain.
2. Returning to stock before taking phone into Sprint.

Pros...

1. Nandroid Backups
2. Themes
3. MODs
4. WiFi Tether
5. More control over how your phone looks and runs.
6. ROM's

Roms or Stock???

Some of the benefits of custom ROMs are:

1. They get updated more often and are usually more up to date than stock.
2. Improved performance and efficiency
3. Improved Battery life
4. Removal of bloatware
5. Custom themes and user interfaces
6. They're just plain cool !

Some drawbacks of custom ROMs are:

1. Installing custom ROMs generally involves having to perform a clean wipe. So be sure to back up often (Titanium Backup, My backup Pro to name a few) and NEVER forget your Nandroid (CWM Recovery Back up)
2. Custom ROMs may have bugs that cause your device to have issues
3. Voids the Manufacturer Warranty (just like rooting)! (You can always go back to stock unrooted state prior to turning phone in for warranty work)

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm sold. Do the backups basically create an image of your phones Internal memory? Does the root affect ext SD? Easy to backup but just wondering.

How does one 'shop' for a custom ROM? Is it just based on preference? It seems kinda hit or miss to choose one, but I alao have no experIence In It. How are some ROMs better than others or different than others. I trust your opinions if you have any suggestions. I want as much customizability without bugs. Haha, yes I want to have my cake and eat It too... More like I want to learn from other's mistakes/experiences. Links are welcome.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's can be hit and miss but there are ways to take much of the risk out. Read... Read and Read some more. Go to the ROM's thread (There's always one) and see what others are saying about it. Pay particular attention to what others are saying and what issues peoples are having.

The change log has information on what has been added or removed in each update.
Typically fixes and mods are posted in the 1st two or three posts. You can see what mods are available and see what has been fixed.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm sold. Do the backups basically create an image of your phones Internal memory? Does the root affect ext SD? Easy to backup but just wondering.

How does one 'shop' for a custom ROM? Is it just based on preference? It seems kinda hit or miss to choose one, but I alao have no experIence In It. How are some ROMs better than others or different than others. I trust your opinions if you have any suggestions. I want as much customizability without bugs. Haha, yes I want to have my cake and eat It too... More like I want to learn from other's mistakes/experiences. Links are welcome.

Nandroid (Backups made in custom recovery's) a mirror image of your system. Restoring one brings your phone to the exact state it was in when you backed it up. Right down to you wallpaper and settings.

Root shouldn't effect your external sd. But one thing you need to know. Recovery's do not recognize sdcards formatted in extfat. 64 gb sdcard are formatted in extfat. Since you have a 64 gb card you will need to copy your sd data to your computer and remormat the card with fat32 file system.

Last edited:

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Suggestions?

Here's what I want:

》Still runs stock Samsung software I wish to keep. Is this a pipe dream?

》Some sort of instructions. I'm not comfortable downloading a ROM and then using a generic procedure for roms not specifically included.

》Fast! Maybe they all can be based on how you set things up. Idk.

》Recommendations.

Last edited:

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Root shouldn't effect your external sd. But one thing you need to know. Recovery's do not recognize sdcards formatted in extfat. 64 gb sdcard are formatted in extfat. Since you have a 64 gb card you will need to copy your sd data to your computer and remormat the card with fat32 file system.

is this because the phone auto formats to extfat? Can I leave it at fat32 after that? Needs to stay at class 10 speeds for my needs.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone itself has no problem with extFat. CWM and TRWP have already stated that they would NEVER support extFat due to it being a proprietary microsoft file system.

The phone does format to extfat but all 64gb sdcards come preformated with extfat as it is more efficient in file storage than fat32. But I don't know that it is any faster.

Your phone will not auto format the sdcard unless you use the phone to format the sdcard. Most people have had good luck formatting their cards with EaseUS Partition Master. You will have to install it on you computer and use a card reader.

You could also move things you want to flash to your internal sd card for use with cwm. If doing it this way you would always have to have a current backup un your internal sd card in case you need to restore your phone.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Suggestions?

Here's what I want:

》Still runs stock Samsung software I wish to keep. Is this a pipe dream?

》Some sort of instructions. I'm not comfortable downloading a ROM and then using a generic procedure for roms not specifically included.

》Fast! Maybe they all can be based on how you set things up. Idk.

》Recommendations.

Sorry, I missed this one. I would suggest for a first time wicked Sensations. Team Sonic is also a good one but it may have too many options for a 1st time flasher but it is also very good.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Pros

It's the way to be period get on jb already....

Cons

You might be to much of a ed noob and get flamed for dum questions for not reading the thread completely.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty