Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by maddogflyer View Post
    Not sure. How do you find that out? I'm a noob! Thanks,
    If you are on Wicked Sensations ROM v5.0 go here to and this will explain everything. Once you follow these steps your annoying 4.3 update will disappear. I was having the same problem a few days ago on my Wicked Sensations ROM and this cured it. You will find out that if you accept the 4.3 update from Sprint it will unroot your phone and prevent you from rooting it again.

Quote Originally Posted by hillzillah View Post
    So.. I'd successfully gone through all of the steps, but since I didn't realize I had updated to 4.3 the Super User kept getting blocked. I tried to revert to before I rooted, but now I'm stuck in a boot loop. Freaking out just a little bit, and I don't know where to start as far as resetting. Any help would be extremely appreciated. D:
    What did you do to try to revert? Can you boot into recovery or download mode?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

This will work on any ROM: Download a root file editor like ES File Explorer, or FX, or any other, and read the help so you understand how to enable root editing. Then search for the build.prop file, and change everyplace you see MD4 to MK3. Make a backup first. Here are some basic instructions (These instructions are to change the values TO MD4. you want to change them to MK3:

Have you flashed a custom ROM? If not, you're running the stock ROM, but rooted. You could flash the file linked here in recovery, but it might make other changes, too, and I don't know what effect those might have on a stock ROM:

PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to do this sometime this week and let you know the results.

Are you stock rooted or did you flash a custom ROM?

sent from a GS3 gone Wicked
    GS3...Wicked Sensations

EVO 4G...Digital Twinturbo-retired

I rooted my phone about a month ago. Very happy and proud of myself. Could not have done it without your information. I received notification for 4.3 update last night. I tried it. Figured I could always re root. The phone notification went away. Phone went through the "motions". And 4.1 is still on the phone. It is still rooted. Nothing changed. My question is how to update to 4.3 with OTA? Should I keep 4.1? How and where to download a zip update?

I'm sure it's been asked a thousand and one times, but does the method on the first page work with the 4.3 ota update?

Quote Originally Posted by unclescary View Post
    I rooted my phone about a month ago. Very happy and proud of myself. Could not have done it without your information. I received notification for 4.3 update last night. I tried it. Figured I could always re root. The phone notification went away. Phone went through the "motions". And 4.1 is still on the phone. It is still rooted. Nothing changed. My question is how to update to 4.3 with OTA? Should I keep 4.1? How and where to download a zip update?
    No OTA will work with a custom recovery. If you really want the OTA, you'll need to unroot back to stock, and then let the OTA run. My advice would be to wait, however. The 4.3 ROM and modem can be flashed with a custom recovery, and a version of the 4.3 kernel without Knox is available. These are perhaps not quite perfect yet, however. So my advice would be too wait a bit until things stabilize, and upgrade to 4.3 via your custom recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrodge8 View Post
    I'm sure it's been asked a thousand and one times, but does the method on the first page work with the 4.3 ota update?
    No. See this thread: Possible method to root 4.3

Default Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

how to root my mine on windows 7? not sure why this isn't working for me. I did all the steps right for like 2 hours O.o plz help guys

junno, what happens when you try? If you get error messages, what are they? Where does the procedure fail? Are you currently on 4.1.2? How old is your S3?

Without information, all anyone can do is guess.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    junno, what happens when you try? If you get error messages, what are they? Where does the procedure fail? Are you currently on 4.1.2? How old is your S3?

Without information, all anyone can do is guess.
    my s3 for sprint is about a year old but just updated to 4.3 and unrooted itself, my fault for updating. I ended up using odin and teamepicrecovery thing, but when I finally reboot my phone, after completing the above steps, I go to superuser and other apps that require root, and then I get a "security notice" from Samsung and it says "unauthorized access to a secured area has been blocked". I went to settings and turned off anything that may have something to do with the securities on my phone but it keeps popping up and asking me to update the security policy. please help, I just spent 4 hours trying to do this crap lol

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by junno1 View Post
    my s3 for sprint is about a year old but just updated to 4.3 and unrooted itself, my fault for updating. I ended up using odin and teamepicrecovery thing, but when I finally reboot my phone, after completing the above steps, I go to superuser and other apps that require root, and then I get a "security notice" from Samsung and it says "unauthorized access to a secured area has been blocked". I went to settings and turned off anything that may have something to do with the securities on my phone but it keeps popping up and asking me to update the security policy. please help, I just spent 4 hours trying to do this crap lol
    That's Knox blocking the attempt to root. It can't be turned off wihtout root. Another user a couple weeks ago said they were able to do it using Kingo Root

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Hello guys! I accidentally broke the screen of my rooted gs3 and in late september got my replacement, it came with the mount storage problem. Since september ive wanted to root again this phone but did not know how, now I found this site and would like to root it so I can flash me some AOKP. I've read that once you root it the files won't let you flash AOSP style ROMS. But in the OP it says that this rooting method REMOVES these 2 files. Has anybody tried flashing an AOSP ROM? Don't have my computer with me so that I can finally root and try it for myself. Gonna borrow my brothers pc when I get all the info I can! Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    That's Knox blocking the attempt to root. It can't be turned off wihtout root. Another user a couple weeks ago said they were able to do it using Kingo Root

Sry to keep bothering ya'll but I tried looking up instructions for "how to root my sprint s3, running 4.3" with kingo root and failed. Anyway anyone can send me a link or precise instructions? Plz, and thanx in advance!

Sry to keep bothering ya'll but I tried looking up instructions for "how to root my sprint s3, running 4.3" with kingo root and failed. Anyway anyone can send me a link or precise instructions? Plz, and thanx in advance!

Nevermind its useless. I just figured out how to use kingo root but its been "connecting to my device" for half an hour so ill just come to the conclusion no one can help me. Thanx for trying anyway guys. Stupid phone and my inability to learn about technology lol

This thread should help you get re-rooted: Possible method to root 4.3

I suggest reading the whole thread first, and using Philz recovery. If you have questions about the process, post in that thread.

Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Nevermind its useless. I just figured out how to use kingo root but its been "connecting to my device" for half an hour so ill just come to the conclusion no one can help me. Thanx for trying anyway guys. Stupid phone and my inability to learn about technology lol

See the post immediately above this one, assuming you're on Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by kinGmariO View Post
    Hello guys! I accidentally broke the screen of my rooted gs3 and in late september got my replacement, it came with the mount storage problem. Since september ive wanted to root again this phone but did not know how, now I found this site and would like to root it so I can flash me some AOKP. I've read that once you root it the files won't let you flash AOSP style ROMS. But in the OP it says that this rooting method REMOVES these 2 files. Has anybody tried flashing an AOSP ROM? Don't have my computer with me so that I can finally root and try it for myself. Gonna borrow my brothers pc when I get all the info I can! Please help!

Is your new phone still on 4.1.2? If so, try this thread on XDA:
    If you follow these instructions carefully you'll be fine. The key is to not let the phone reboot after flashing the custom recovery.

I just used this method on my 4.3 SPH-L710 sprint GS3. Now I keep getting Security Notices. I do not know a lot about doing these kinds of things to smartphones and now I am panicing. Are there ANY methods for me to quickly revert my phone to stock, (No root, no knox, just 4.1.2) and then update back to 4.3? Please someone help, I am going on a long trip tomorrow and will need my phone! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by xshivp View Post
    I just used this method on my 4.3 SPH-L710 sprint GS3. Now I keep getting Security Notices. I do not know a lot about doing these kinds of things to smartphones and now I am panicing. Are there ANY methods for me to quickly revert my phone to stock, (No root, no knox, just 4.1.2) and then update back to 4.3? Please someone help, I am going on a long trip tomorrow and will need my phone! Thank you.
    This process is designed for earlier versions of Android, not 4.3, which has been discussed in this thread recently. There is no way to go back to 4.1.2 / Knox free, but there may be a way to get you to a more stable state. The first thing I would try is to download the newest version of Kies, put your phone in download mode, and see if Kies will reinstall the factory 4.3 ROM. If that won't work, something else to try:

Run the Knox remover script from this thread: (Note, only the Knox remover script, not the other ones). This won't remove the Knox bootloader, but MAY eliminate the security notices. May not. If that doesn't work:

Try the rooting instructions in post #30 of this thread: Possible method to root 4.3 This is known to work on stock 4.3 ROMs. It should work on your phone, too. What I don't have any idea about is whether it will stop the security notices. If those are coming from the bootloader, it may be too late.

As always when rooting or flashing custom code, I strongly recommend you read the entire thread before starting. Had you done so here, you would have seen this won't work on 4.3 ROMs.

Thank you so much, and I thought this would work because the title said updated and I head read up to some of the pages, just wasn't looking forward to reading 30 pages of them. Thank you again, I tried the knox removal script and that removed it. Do you by any chance happen to know, if I can use triangle away now? Because knox is gone.
    I was told that trying to use triangle away with knox on your phone, will auto - brick your phone.

I honestly don't know, but wouldn't take the risk. The Knox remover tool only removes the knox applications, but Knox still exists in the bootloader, and that's the part that could brick your phone.

I was able to successfully root a completely stock (including Knox) Sprint Galaxy S3 with the MK3 4.3 build using the saferoot method in this thread: . It does not replace the stock recovery, does not remove the Knox bootloader and does not trigger the Knox e-fuse. The only odd thing I noticed is that I received a few notifications during the process regarding the security policy but they were safe to ignore.

Just rooted my device this past Monday and today, I'm getting these errors while trying to update my apps. I'm stock (4.1.2) rooted. Was I suppose to flash gapps or something?!?! Is it possible that these apps are updated for 4.3?!?!

[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3-screenshot_2013-12-27-18-21-35-1-.png

Question for anyone: I have a rooted Sprint Galaxy S3 running a custom ROM. Is it possible to take a stock SGS3 where someone has taken the 4.3 update, which includes Knox, and Odin back to ICS, JB 4.1.1 or 4.1.2?

Sent from my Wicked SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 LastLast