[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you accept the 4.3 OTA (or update via Kies) before following this root procedure? As it says at the top of the first post, this procedure is designed for pre 4.3 ROMs.

Exactly what "knox tool" did you install. What happens when you try to install a custom ROM?

James Sanders1

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
ok i am having trouble finding the file in twrp? it is in the root of the phone not in a file on both the phone and the sd card and i can't find it..does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

lostred13

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I followed the steps until download. I went into recovery mode and couldn't figure out where I had placed the team epic file. I turned off the phone and wanted to place the file in another location on the phone. But after turning it off, I wasn't able to turn the phone at all. It won't go into recovery mode, turn on, or give any light. Have I hard bricked it?

Thanks

p.s. I was running 4.1.2 (def not 4.3 as the sticky mentioned) at the time
The battery is all good (tested on another S3)
Not recognized by PC
had switched from rooted to unrooted and wanted to root it again (decided not to return my phone)

Yeah....it's pretty much hard bricked isn't it....lol

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Just to make sure: your phone was a Sprint branded S3? Can you boot into download mode?

Do I understand correctly that you completed the download step? Did you then remove the battery as describe in the first post, and boot directly into recovery? What recovery (stock, CWM or TWRP did you get when you booted?

lostred13

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Just to make sure: your phone was a Sprint branded S3? Can you boot into download mode?

Do I understand correctly that you completed the download step? Did you then remove the battery as describe in the first post, and boot directly into recovery? What recovery (stock, CWM or TWRP did you get when you booted?

Yes, I removed the battery, got to recovery mode (touch screen part), saw the options, realized I had no idea where the epic file was on my phone, so I manually turned it off. Now it's pretty much hard bricked.
Tried doing this;
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...samsung-galaxy-siii-sprint-virgin-mobile.html
But I'm stuck at a page that gives this message;

BOOT RECOVERY MODE
CHECK BOOT PARTITIONS
BOOT RECOVERY
WRITE 159488 sectors
FLASH WRITE FAILURE
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
SYSTEM STATUS: NONE
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Not able to go into download mode with this unbrick method.

And when I take out my new external drive, it goes back to being hard bricked.

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this is going to sound strange but it worked on my S3. Try downloading the file to the phone without it being in the download mode. It worked for me when mine appeared to be bricked and I was only getting the same screen you are.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Hi, I read the guide and saw some videos about rooting the gs3 for sprint, thank you for making this sticky.
I have kit Kat 4.4.2. What version of tar file and cwm should I use? .
I saw some files online but wanted to be sure they are the right ones.
Thanks for any help.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED10/23/2013: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Please Help! I followed the direction on the guide, installed CWM recovery 6.0.4.5 with odin, and rebooted (after taking the battery off), it came on custom recovery, so I flashe the superuser v5.zip file from the root guide and everything seemed to go fine, no errors, rebooted the phone I could see a box saying android updating but when I check root it says its not rooted.
I turned my phone off went into recovery and still have the cwm custom recovery so it seems that the flash did something but did not root the phone.
What should I do now? Any ideas? Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332