OTA notification still popping up

Spongey1313

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted stock cwm recovery. My understanding was that a rooted phone would not get OTA notifications, but I am still receiving them. Am I not understanding this correctly or is there something I can do to not receive them anymore? I am NOT going to do the 4.3 update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted stock cwm recovery. My understanding was that a rooted phone would not get OTA notifications, but I am still receiving them. Am I not understanding this correctly or is there something I can do to not receive them anymore? I am NOT going to do the 4.3 update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.
When you get the notification again, pull the notification shade down, and long press the OTA note. That will bring up an App Info button. CLick it, and you will get taken to the Application Information screen for the OTA app. Uncheck the box that says Show Notifications. It should be right under Force Stop.

Spongey1313

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so now the notification stops in the status bar. Thank you golfdriver. I still get an update box that tells me that an upgrade is available. It gives mr the options of, upgrade later, more info or install, about every hour or so. Any way to stop that from happening? It's very annoying. They are persistent.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The notification simply checks to see if you're on the newest version or not. If not, you get the notice, whether you're rooted or not.

If Golfdriver's tip doesn't work, check back. There are other ways to get rid of the notification, too.

Spongey1313

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Alright. Will try that now. I'm new to this so I'll have a question on installing MOAR from you myerweb as that is the one you seem to like most. I've not done a rom on android although I had a palm pre that I did once.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No problem. I'll be happy to help. It's pretty straightforward. Just make sure you create a Nandroid backup of your current config before flashing a new ROM.

Spongey1313

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok then. Just rebooted and no prompt for the upgrade (so far). Meyerweb I did a nandroid backup last night/this morning after I rooted. I also downloaded 2 MOAR 6.0 files and put them on my sdcard.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You said you downloaded 2 files? What are they? Did you download from both DevHost and Mirror 1? Those should be the same file, and you only need one. Also, flashing MOAR won't get rid of the OTA prompt, as your phone will still report it's on MD4. If all you really want to do is get rid of the nag, flash this file in recovery: Dev-Host - MOAR_nag_remove.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

If you really want to run on MOAR, do the following: This assumes you're currently on the MD4 ROM. If not, let me know.

Boot into recovery
Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (mandatory)
Factory reset (optional - see below*)
Flash (install) the ROM file in recovery
-- This will start the Aroma installer, which will give you a lot of options. For the first time, I would suggest choosing "install MOAR as is." Once you're sure everything is working OK, you can go back and reflash the ROM, and choose "Run Morphology ONLY" to choose certain customizations. You don't need to clear cache or Dalvik to run morphology ONLY."

When the install is complete, reboot the phone from recovery.
The first time it boots up, it will take quite a while, and you'll get messages about Android updating. That's normal.

*The first time you install a new ROM, it's generally a good idea to factory reset, to make sure there aren't any files from the old ROM hanging around. Since MOAR is an MD4 Touchwiz-based ROM, it may install OK without a factory reset. But if you don't reset, and start running into glitches, you should probably just start over and factor reset this time. As I'm sure you know, a factory reset will wipe all your application data and settings, so you might want to install Titanium backup and back everything up first.

That's it.Oh, you'll still need to run the MOAR nag remove zip file I linked to above.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Build.prop edit did the trick for me. I'm very happy with stock rooted MD4, and see no reason to screw up a good phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Spongey1313

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You said you downloaded 2 files? What are they? Did you download from both DevHost and Mirror 1? Those should be the same file, and you only need one. Also, flashing MOAR won't get rid of the OTA prompt, as your phone will still report it's on MD4. If all you really want to do is get rid of the nag, flash this file in recovery: Dev-Host - MOAR_nag_remove.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

If you really want to run on MOAR, do the following: This assumes you're currently on the MD4 ROM. If not, let me know.

Boot into recovery
Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (mandatory)
Factory reset (optional - see below*)
Flash (install) the ROM file in recovery
-- This will start the Aroma installer, which will give you a lot of options. For the first time, I would suggest choosing "install MOAR as is." Once you're sure everything is working OK, you can go back and reflash the ROM, and choose "Run Morphology ONLY" to choose certain customizations. You don't need to clear cache or Dalvik to run morphology ONLY."

When the install is complete, reboot the phone from recovery.
The first time it boots up, it will take quite a while, and you'll get messages about Android updating. That's normal.

*The first time you install a new ROM, it's generally a good idea to factory reset, to make sure there aren't any files from the old ROM hanging around. Since MOAR is an MD4 Touchwiz-based ROM, it may install OK without a factory reset. But if you don't reset, and start running into glitches, you should probably just start over and factor reset this time. As I'm sure you know, a factory reset will wipe all your application data and settings, so you might want to install Titanium backup and back everything up first.

That's it.Oh, you'll still need to run the MOAR nag remove zip file I linked to above.

Thanks! The MOAR NAG zip, can I download that directly from mobile or should I do that from my laptop then isb to the phone?

Spongey1313

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh by the way my titanium backup has now decided that my phone is now not rooted. It worked fine last noght and this morning. WTH. How do I check for sure?