Candid first impression vs Evo 4G LTE

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Qfg, just curious, what are you developing and testing them for??

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/reviews on both phones!

Some fleet-dispatch applications that run in the background and are heavily GPS-dependent. That's why multitasking and GPS are my biases when reviewing these sort of things.

--Qfg

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
You EVO guys are crazy if you don't notice your browser being laggy as hell. The samsung web browser is near flawless in speed of pinch to zoom and scrolling. It really isn't even close.

Call me crazy then! Double-tap to zoom is flawless in the way it re-flows text to fill the screen correctly without having to pan back and forth. Pinch zoom and scrolling are smooth as butter. Plus, if you don't like the stock browser, download one of several alternatives from the Market.

@Qfugee: you must have had a bad unit, and there are a few others that have reported an issue with their GPS. FWIW, I'm happy with my GPS. I use it for driving navigation and tracking my runs with Endomondo.

Guys, please don't take Mercury81 as the typical EVO user or representative of our forum. Methinks he's over here having a little bit of fun at your expense, and a few of you are taking the bait hook, line, and sinker. 90% of his posts on the EVO forums can be boiled down to "I don't have that problem. Just sayin'. ;):):D :thumbsup: :cheers:"

Sense's well-documented problems are easily addressed by any one of several options until (IF) HTC fixes it:
1. Run an alternate launcher (Nova or Apex). I run Nova - it's fast as hell and my widgets never reload when backing out of an app.
2. Root and tweak memory settings using Rom Toolbox
3. Root and load any one of a large number of custom ROMs already available, or CM9 which is extremely close to fully functional and already good enough to be a daily driver for a lot of people.

Internal hardware is pretty much a wash.

So it comes down to a few very subjective personal choices between the two - removable battery, a little more internal storage, display, and form factor.

Reactions: sledgie#AC

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Guys, please don't take Mercury81 as the typical EVO user or representative of our forum. Methinks he's over here having a little bit of fun at your expense, and a few of you are taking the bait hook, line, and sinker. 90% of his posts on the EVO forums can be boiled down to "I don't have that problem. Just sayin'. ;):):D :thumbsup: :cheers:"....

Yes, we know. His trolling skills are strong!! Just sayin'. ;):):D :thumbsup: :cheers:

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an evo... I really like the phone. However, there are some things that need to be address as some people in this thread have mentioned.

Sense reloading... Mine does it once every other day or so... its pretty anoying and takes about 5-7 seconds sometimes longer. This is something I am confident will be fixed with an upcoming update.

Multitasking.... as everyone else has mentioned it just doesn't... Hopefully this can be fixed with an update maybe not...

Everything else on the phone has been awesome... I was debating returning mine just because I wanted the S3 from the beginning. I was an epic 4G user for two years and that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth with the GPS and radio issues as well as lag. I am sure samsung fixed a lot of the issues with the S3. But I might just stick it out and give the EVO a try. Either way they are both great phones.

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Except, he doesn't own the SGS3. Or ever even tried it. In fact, he posted about the phone before it even came out. I'm basing my opinion based on two facts: 1: That I owned the Evo. 2. Reviews review reviews. Notice how I never glorified the SGS3 on any so-called "experience" of my very own with the phone? If I buy this phone and it turns out to be over-rated crap, I have no problems, no loyalties to bring it up. The common denominator in every review video I've seen is that Sense bloats the system, slows it down, and causes occasional to frequent hiccups. These experiences reviewers had lined up with mine. And when I say "I don't know why some people pretend [lag] is not there", it's because people completely gloss over the fact that the lag IS pretty frequent. And that is with a stock device. It's even in the reviews themselves. I mean, YOU CAN SEE IT IN THE VIDEOS. The app drawer, the opening and loading of apps, the web page rendering, do I need to keep repeating myself? Where in all this had I "made up" these issues that are widely documented? Sounds like you're fishing for anything to hold onto for an argument and resorting to personal attacks, rather than actually talking about the phone itself.

Sounds to me like you're not running stock. Doesn't matter either way, the point is is that I have yet to talk to a single Evo user who is even willing to budge and admit that there's ever any kind of annoying frequency with the slowness of app loading, laggy app drawer opening, flickering, choppy, and inconsistent transitions, and THAT is why I said that I didn't know why SOME people pretend like it's not there. You're starting to sound like one of those illusioned Apple users who say "it just works". YOU may be okay with those things to the point where you don't notice them, but for someone like myself who doesn't want to throw around hard-earned money, I am allowed to be very particular about the things I want in something worth $600.

Anytime someone like myself brings up these issues and complaints, they get dismissed EXACTLY like how it happened in this thread. Every single time. Doesn't matter if I post the 20 zillion links to review videos where these issues are pointed out, doesn't matter if I reply with all the "Galaxy s3 vs Evo 4g LTE" videos on youtube and on mainstream mobile news sites where they favor the Galaxy for exactly the reasons I posted. It just keeps getting these butt-hurt responses and anything valuable that I add to the conversation gets dismissed. Do you know how immensely INFURIATING that is? Especially on the one forum I expect not to hear from people like yourself? Oh well, it's a free country, after all.

The response from Evo users like yourself is always, "WELL IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME, URS MUST BE BROKEN LULZ." How bout you acknowledge it and move on? Or are you feeling personally offended that I do not view the Evo in the same perspective as you? I'm not trying to convince you to be discontent with your device, why are you trying to convince me that I should be content with yours?

And just to respond to your ridiculous flaming, NO HTC is not going to "release an OTA to fix multitasking." According to them, it's "working as intended." HTC says it purposefully made multitasking broken on the One X

Probably just like how the lag is intended too. But personally for me, I think it's gross over-sight and sloppy coding. Up to you what you want to believe though.

Wow, I don't even know where to start. Dude, seriously, no flame was intended to you on the previous post, just clearing some things up. I simply stated, along with others, that most of the exaggerated issues you mentioned about the EVO LTE are not completely accurate. 5 hours to charge...seriously??? Some, however, were partially accurate like the Sense reloads I agreed with you on.

That's enough about the phones...now, please take the time to read what you just wrote, take it in, seriously think about it...it's ridiculous. Are you really "IMMENSELY INFURIATED" (as you state yourself) over a cell phone? I have never experienced any rational person acting this way, even on a forum. I enjoy tech and learning things on these forums but you have issues.

Last edited:

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You EVO guys are crazy if you don't notice your browser being laggy as hell. The samsung web browser is near flawless in speed of pinch to zoom and scrolling. It really isn't even close.

I think it has to do with the stock HTC browser doing text reflow. I downloaded Chrome and have not browser lag issues since.

brackett5

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I',m a little jaded since I went through three EVO LTE's in a week...all did the spontaneous shut down, restart and die stuck on lock screen.

Now...while they did work I found the screen to be very clear but it was just plain drab. Text reading was a pain due to the lowered black levels and it was just simply drab color wise with no punch at all for my eyes.

For my photographers eyes, the S3 wins. Granted, I don't go out in screaming daylight to see how well I can read it.

Don't like th auto brightness? Turn if off!

Wifi on the EVO was really poor. It constantly would hang up a quarter of the way into a page and just sit there and get stuck.

Phone radios were fine. GPS was very fast. Sound quality on the earpiece was excellent and that's a big deal for me since I have poor hearing and wear hearing aids.

I don't game so I could care less about some test scores :)

Personally, I didn't care for the shape. Build quality was excellent but it felt much larger than the S3 and was tougher for my hands to use comfortably.

Sense was good but honestly...how many of you stick with the stock launcher???

I was really under impressed with the camera. Something about the images it produced, even when viewed on my computer was just boring. It was plenty sharp and clear. Fast as you'd ever need on a phone.

S3 radios when looking at bars appear less than the EVO did and less than my spare Blackberry Tour but know what? When you go into "about phone" and look at the signal strength they are all within a couple points of being identical. I have yet to drop a call or have one garbled even when showing no bard in my office. Typically, it's pulling -92 dbm at that point which exactly what the EVO LTE got sitting on my desk.

S3 Form factor (I have it in a TPU) is much better for MY hands.

I love the screen for MY EYES.

GPS is nearly instantaneous and both are on par with one another.

S3 for what I do "seems" to perform faster and without the slight lag the EVO showed.

Rear speaker on my S3 is a fair bit better than the EVO was. Earpiece is every bit as good.

Battery life is better on the S3.

So far, the S3 is the clear winner for the reasons stated above and the fact that I've been on the same one for over a week rather than multiple units and it runs like a charm...just like a high end pricey phone should.

Had both and pretty much agree with this. I did like the sense over the touchwiz in some factors but TW over sense in others. I also thought the camera and video options were WAY better on the EVO, but the picture and video quality was WAY better on the SGS3.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Call me crazy then! Double-tap to zoom is flawless in the way it re-flows text to fill the screen correctly without having to pan back and forth. Pinch zoom and scrolling are smooth as butter. Plus, if you don't like the stock browser, download one of several alternatives from the Market.

@Qfugee: you must have had a bad unit, and there are a few others that have reported an issue with their GPS. FWIW, I'm happy with my GPS. I use it for driving navigation and tracking my runs with Endomondo.

Guys, please don't take Mercury81 as the typical EVO user or representative of our forum. Methinks he's over here having a little bit of fun at your expense, and a few of you are taking the bait hook, line, and sinker. 90% of his posts on the EVO forums can be boiled down to "I don't have that problem. Just sayin'. ;):):D :thumbsup: :cheers:"

Sense's well-documented problems are easily addressed by any one of several options until (IF) HTC fixes it:
1. Run an alternate launcher (Nova or Apex). I run Nova - it's fast as hell and my widgets never reload when backing out of an app.
3. Root and load any one of a large number of custom ROMs already available, or CM9 which is extremely close to fully functional and already good enough to be a daily driver for a lot of people.

So it comes down to a few very subjective personal choices between the two - removable battery, a little more internal storage, display, and form factor.

Too frequently the solution to various problems and glitches with these phones are to 'just root'. I am one of the few, I guess, who will not consider that option because I don't feel comfortable with the process. I am just not willing to take a chance with doing something wrong to the phone, so for me...I need a phone that works for me without tweaking. That's why I ended up choosing S3 over the EVO. While I loved my old EVO, Sense did reload too frequently, it froze up a lot, and sometimes it would hang on startup. Plus, it got really slow after time went on. After playing with the new Evo in the Sprint store, I realized that I didn't want to shell out the money just yet because after switching from app to app that same reloading of the home screen would occur. I also wasn't impressed with the camera or the revised button layout. As I read more about the features of the S3, I decided to give it a try and so far, despite the learning curve, I'm pretty satisfied.

Ngmasterj

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I don't even know where to start. Dude, seriously, no flame was intended to you on the previous post, just clearing some things up. I simply stated, along with others, that most of the exaggerated issues you mentioned about the EVO LTE are not completely accurate. 5 hours to charge...seriously??? Some, however, were partially accurate like the Sense reloads I agreed with you on.

That's enough about the phones...now, please take the time to read what you just wrote, take it in, seriously think about it...it's ridiculous. Are you really "IMMENSELY INFURIATED" (as you state yourself) over a cell phone? I have never experienced any rational person acting this way, even on a forum. I enjoy tech and learning things on these forums but you have issues.

I may have over-reacted after reading over my post, but my infuriation was a little more directed to the other two posters who were less polite than you were. So I apologize, nevertheless there is no exaggeration with my claims. I fell asleep with 27% at 2am and woke up at 6 am to see it barely at 94% charge. That really upset me because I work long days and while my Evo had no problem at first holding its charge for an entire work day, like I said, sometimes I would get great mileage (15+ hours), and then for no reason next day, I would barely make it through the day on 8-10 hours. That's just the reality of it. I have no profit to make making stuff up. If I did, I would go on YOUR forums and start dishing it out there.

Ngmasterj

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The poster who said that the evo lte lags more than the og evo is a damn liar. There is no way a device with better hardware all across the board is gonna be slower than a phone with 2 year old hardware. It's just impossible. And add the fact that ics adds speed and performance improvements. With that being said there is lag in a few places like opening the app draw for the first time. There is a little stuttering but after that first open it's butter smooth after that.

All my apps open instantly when I tap the icon so I don't know where some of these folks are getting these problems from

Go try it for yourself before you start calling people liars.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Too frequently the solution to various problems and glitches with these phones are to 'just root'. I am one of the few, I guess, who will not consider that option because I don't feel comfortable with the process. I am just not willing to take a chance with doing something wrong to the phone, so for me...I need a phone that works for me without tweaking. That's why I ended up choosing S3 over the EVO. While I loved my old EVO, Sense did reload too frequently, it froze up a lot, and sometimes it would hang on startup. Plus, it got really slow after time went on. After playing with the new Evo in the Sprint store, I realized that I didn't want to shell out the money just yet because after switching from app to app that same reloading of the home screen would occur. I also wasn't impressed with the camera or the revised button layout. As I read more about the features of the S3, I decided to give it a try and so far, despite the learning curve, I'm pretty satisfied.

I can understand and respect that point of view. However, I didn't root my phone to fix problems. I received it on a Thurs evening and I was rooted and unlocked by Sunday morning, long before the multitasking thing started getting under my skin. Truth be told it's so easy to do and almost impossible to screw it up - at least on the EVO. Don't know anything about rooting the S3 though. I'm just the type that's always tinkered with stuff and loves squeezing the max potential out of hardware.

So I tried an S3 in the store today, just to see what the fuss is all about. To be honest, I wasn't impressed at all with it doing a side by side with my EVO. For one, I didn't like the overall look and feel of the S3. The EVO has a nice heft to it (not heavy), and feels like a piece of premium hardware in hand, whereas the S3 still feels plastic-y and just cheap overall, along the lines of a GNEX.

Both phones felt equally responsive, as expected given the specs. Athough I usually don't put a lot of stock in how a used/abused display unit performs, I figured it was a fair representation given that the S3 has only been in the store for a couple of days.

But what really shocked me was the difference in the displays. With both at 100% brightness, the S3 just could not match the brilliance of the EVO. The colors are oversaturated and artificial (at least to my eye) and there was an annoying bluish tint to anything white. Running Flipboard side by side, which has a lot of black text on white background, there was just no comparison. I couldn't get past that bluish tint. I'm sure your eye gets used to it and the S3 looks just fine on it's own, but it was no match in a side-by-side.

Again, just my subjective opinion. My issues with the EVO are easily solved. My issues with the S3 are intrinsic to the phone itself; I just couldn't be happy with the form factor and that display no matter how good the gee-wiz software may be.

bjpe1989

May 2, 2012
Visit site
and to think I prefer the way the S3 feels. I couldn't care less about the cameras, because to me they are both just supplementary phone cameras. S3 is simple to root, but a phone shouldn't have to be rooted to get multitasking working properly.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

If the EVO LTE is anything like the HTC One X, than you obviously cannot see the difference. The browser is extremely choppy, but hey not everyone can see the same thing. I sure as hell can barely see the pentile effect on samoled screens from samsung. I will admit it looks terrible on motorola phones.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Well sorry that you're disappointed that I'm not having any issues since I purchased my Evo 4G LTE . I'm just letting the few people who have had an issue, know that they may have either have a s bad phone. They may need to simply change something in their settings. Which if you read has been the case often .... Just sayin...:):beer:;):p:D:thumbup:

from Evo4G LTE on Tapatalk 2

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If the EVO LTE is anything like the HTC One X, than you obviously cannot see the difference. The browser is extremely choppy, but hey not everyone can see the same thing. I sure as hell can barely see the pentile effect on samoled screens from samsung. I will admit it looks terrible on motorola phones.

No choppiness in any browser for me, and I'm picky about that sort of thing. That's why I'm running Nova instead of Sense, smoothness plus customization options. The One X you saw may have had something else going on in the background: searching for signal, apps syncing, etc.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see.. I thought it was odd because the EVO LTE shoots 16:9 on 8mp. When I first started using the camera, I thought something was wrong or it was preset to a lower setting. Is the camera on the S3 not capable of this via hack or something?

The EVO does -NOT- shoot 8MP at 16:9. The menu is deceptive and lying to you, but based on how HTC does their settings, the MP selection determines the max horizontal resolution, and widescreen either keeps the full vertical resolution to make it 8MP, or enabling widescreen chops off pixels and you get... 6MP. Just like on Samsung. Samsung is apparently smart enough to realize calling a 16:9 6MP picture 8MP would be a lie. HTC has no problem lying (though they're probably ignorant).

I also don't like that HTC has widescreen on by default when all it's doing is chopping off pixels.

Just for reference, on the EVO LTE when you have 8MP and widescreen DISabled the UI clearly shows your pixels as 3264x2448 (8MP). If you enable widescreen, you'll see your pixels go to 3264x1840. Same horizontal, but now cropped vertical. But, since HTC isn't very good at what they do, it still (wrongly) shows 8MP.

tl;dr: You are getting the same size and resolution pics on Samsung as HTC :)

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
No choppiness in any browser for me, and I'm picky about that sort of thing. That's why I'm running Nova instead of Sense, smoothness plus customization options. The One X you saw may have had something else going on in the background: searching for signal, apps syncing, etc.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

The phone was brand new, I saw the demo unit a few days for it was officially released and nobody gave a damn about it so i doubt it was played with. I also rebooted it from start knowing this kind of thing. I even waited for the webpage to load completely because I thought it might be a network speed issue. Nope thing was laggy to the point where even my wife notices it. ( she doesn't care nor notice any of these things. she wants a galaxy note for crying out loud )

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Go try it for yourself before you start calling people liars.

I can call him a liar, because I've had the phone since launch and its been working fine. None of the problems you guys are talking about.

Here is a quick video I just made at work of the so called "slow" EVO. As you can see from the video, as soon as the lock screen is open the phone is ready. I also open a few random apps to show there is no lag with opening an app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cf_GlE2Q0

Last edited:

TechAd

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Just returned the evo lte. Samsung gs3 ftw. Smoother, love the color depth of the screen, touch wiz > sense, more comfortable in the hands, better looking. Everything else is about the same. It's a keeper.... For now. ;-)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74