Bluetooth: crackling/static/choppy

harveywireman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You guys solved the awful-phone-app situation, thanks. In reality, I wouldn't have returned my S3 because of something so trivial.

However, this bluetooth issue is killing me. I where a sony/err MW600 pretty much all day. Streaming music, answering calls, etc. while my phone sits by the laptop. The crackling, or static or popping - whatever you want to call it - is brutal. Just yesterday, it also started making the notification sounds it sends to my BT earbuds lag/stutter - even the audio output from the phone (since it does both) stutters.

I'm sure if there was a solution to be had, it would be done already. I guess my question is: is this likely something they can solve with an update at some point?

Preemptive strike:
1) I should try a different BT headset, I know. I found an old plantronics, but have to charge it (really shouldn't have to buy a different headset, though, that would stink.

2) even OEM ringtones/notifications stutter & crackle

Thanks!

Dave

mike.brit

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with two different Bluetooth headsets when playing music always a crackle in the background. Seems not to be an issue with wired headphones.

I use a plantronics and a Motorola S10 HD , both have th e crackle.

Would love a simple fix as you spend ages getting a phone the way you want it so don't want time return it unless I have to.

lordbannon

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. 2 different phones, 3 different bluetooth devices (1 headset, 2 cars), same issue on all 3. At least on the cars it is a quieter crackling/popping...on the headset, its practically all you hear.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am not having problems in either my car (with Ford Sync) connected with Bluetooth or using a Samsung HM3500 stereo BT headset. Both sound very good. However I do notice that the signal fades if I allow my hand or arm to cover the phone while using BT.

I also recall a few years back having what you are describing with a Plantronics BT headset when the battery was weak.

dragonryder

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
My boyfriend and I both purchased Galaxy S 3's and we live on our bluetooth headsets all day long (plantronics voyager pro HD). We have TERRIBLE static/cracking on calls to the point it's unbearable. T-mobile swapped them both out immediately as it's a known issue.

My father bought the same phone and did not have any issues whatsoever with his - it seems to be a mechanical issue with the actual phone.

nickel

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a nexus s. when I usually get home everyday, my phone used to pair with my Panasonic cordless phone which does a Bluetooth pair so I don't miss calls while I am charging. I never had an issue with the nexus... but I recently took a call from sg III and the static was cutting in and out. it's definitely annoying. My ford synch seems ok.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

pa2825

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I thought it was maybe my Bluetooth. I have a relatively new Plantronics Voyager Pro HD and an older Plantronics which I think it's a 975 or 925. Both crack, pop, and suck! They worked great on my EVO. I'm very disappointed. I've only had this phone for 3 days. Love the phone, but if Bluetooth is going to be like this they can shove it where the sun don't shine. I refuse to hold a phone to my head. Bluetooth 4.0 should be better, not worse. Samsung, fix this or I will spread the word!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
With my blueant q2, it would get real crackly only when I walked. If I stood still it was perfect but unacceptable in my book. So I got the Motorola command one. While it doesn't crackle or get static, it opened up a completely new set of problems.

So my experience with BT on my s3 has been, well, blah. But I will tell you, static and etc. Can be caused by many different factors and not always caused by the phone. No line of site, case on phone, near computers, microwave ovens, even car emissions can cause bad connections with BT. I just wish one day, we can connect a BT headset and it will just work correctly right out of the box.

Some Freemason

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I notice a similar problem with my S3 and I think it has something to do with the phone app or interference between the phone signal hardware and bluetooth. If I listen to music on my plantronics voyager legend, I have no problems. However when I make a call, it breaks up to the point that I want to throw the thing and just use the phone.

I'm not sure how this could be fixed w/o doing something physically to one of the two devices. Either the voyager legend need to broadcast a stronger signal or... IDK.

freakout311style

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't use a headset, but I do have my S3 connected to a JLAB Crasher (bluetooth speaker) and haven't experienced any issues with Pandora or Spotify.

I've only experienced two unfavorable things -

1) I've noticed are that if a call is answered through it, the person on the other end gets an slight echo of their own voice
2) The line of sight comment has affected me a few times, as I've placed my phone down behind something and it starts to become choppy until it is moved.

MusicalDJ Kitty

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Same here, my stereo bluetooth headset keeps making static sounds whenever I connect it to my phone. It happens occassionally (mainly when I'm practicing my dance routines) I don't know what's the problem.