Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes
    Super-elite full-time dad

ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

Default Re: foxfi for the GS3

and too, I'm out...there's no point in this...
    You ran into this thread like the data police telling everyone here how data costs the providers oodles of money, and how people who tether (after rooting which just gives the full functionality of the phone to begin with) are "pirates" and trying to convince them they are stealing something when they are NOT...they are merely using something they've already paid for in a way which the provider has found to make a profit...

Then you tried saying that the 1080P netflix movie on a laptop is a different size in data than the same movie on a handheld device...when it's not. Netflix downloads the same amount of data whether it's a TV, laptop, or phone...or tablet. So the same amount of data gets used for streaming a movie, listening to radio, whatever...
    You've called people names, made statements you can't back up with facts, nor do you even know much about how cellular technology works to begin with, and it's really not worth continuing on on the back and forth when you refuse to educated yourself before trying to have a discussion on the matter...
    You want to believe that providers pay some humongous premium for data, and that people who use the full function of their phone to tether it are some sort of vandals or thugs, then so be it..
    I would think if someone showed you that the FCC has already ruled that just because a provider's data get's heavy use, it doesn't constitute damage to them. If someone was hacking the cellular network and using data, that's theft..people who have already paid for data aren't thieves...

Then when I showed the costs of bandwidth (so what WHO the cost is for), you made smart remarks about that too...and act like the data that comes from ISPs is different from mobile data..

OBVIOUSLY you don't know what runs underground to the cell phone towers to give them access to data...if you did, then you wouldn't make those statements you made..
    I guess you think they can just throw up a cell tower in the middle of an island, and it's magically connected to the internet by...lemmee guess, wifi? Do they use a tethering app for that???
    Funny stuff, but I quit..
    Can't debate with someone who refuses to acknowledge facts, and won't do their own research before throwing out blanket statements.

Keep on preaching your "piracy" beliefs...maybe someday you'll find someone gullible enough to actually believe you and pay for something they've already paid for..

(it would be amusing to see what you think about me using a DD-WRT router as a repeater to give my neighbor my internet access so they can surf the web...since it's essentially the same thing...I pay for DSL, then I broadcast it to my neighbors house, use a router with DD-WRT installed to repeat my wifi signals inside his house, and he connects to that and surfs the web. I bet I'm somehow a pirate ..or maybe he's the pirate...but I've never used even half the data cap I get (150gb/month))

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    and too, I'm out...there's no point in this...

Funny stuff, but I quit..

Keep on preaching your "piracy" beliefs..
    1) Okay.

2) Okay.

3) Okay, I will. When Sprint and I agreed to "unlimited" data on my smartphone, I know I did not pay for unauthorized tethering, and neither did you. That is what the contract says. When I need to tether, I pay extra for that. The tetherers who don't are pirating. And if that includes you, I sincerely hope that Sprint discovers the violation and terminates your service.

Have a nice day.

Somehow it worked for me through Bluetooth. I restarted my phone tried wifi to no avail and then turned on Bluetooth DUN through Foxfi. I went into settings and connected my phone in the Bluetooth iPad menu. Then I turned on tethering in the g3 menu under settings/more/tethering/Bluetooth it then said I was sharing one device and I am using it now. I also turned off sprints automatic network setting. I just did it so I have not repeated. Hope it works for you

For someone who started this argument on ToS it sure seems you are very defensive about what other people are or are not paying for. Do you work for sprint? Maybe one of the customer support techs who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Turn to tab Q.... Quit whining!

IDC who the company is...anyone who sells me a service and then tries to dictate what device I use it with is out of their mind...or well in this case getting ousted from the business. Didn't they just well 70% stake to a Japanese firm...yes they did. Know why? They don't have the money to increase their network capacity... not a bandwidth issue. Too many subscribers not enough backbone.

As far as the tethering plan goes..shouldn't be long till that gets squashed like with the ma' bells. Remember when LD calls were ridiculous? Yeah.

Its real simple.. if tethering is hurting their 'unlimited data' then they would ban the user. They NEED the recurring monthlies.

And as someone who works in the industry. A cellular call whether voice or data is terminated the same way. It does not bounce from tower to tower. It hits the nearest tower, drops to land lines fiber or copper, is assessed a carrier fee if it isn't owned by the originating service provider and forwarded to its destination. The b2b transactions are enormous, but when you look at the markup tagged by your providers you will probably be ticked off.

That's why the FCC has so many regulations on the different land based carriers. The HAVE to provide colo's for the smaller providers and sell them 'bandwidth' @ wholesale/ bulk rates.

I rarely ever tether my phone, but when I do because flaws is crap on android or I just want to type a long message faster than I typed this on my GS3 I would rather jump on my laptop and knock it out in 2 minutes rather than the 8-10 it took me to type this.

Bottom line is I pay for a service. Access to voice and data ... unlimited voice and data. I carry 5 lines and shell out a couple hundred a month, so when a provided tries to nickel and dime me to death...I get a bit irritated. Oh and BTW.. I also have business class internet at home and pay a premium for that too. Its blazing fast, but I would much rather use my tether to connect.

As long as there are suckers in this world willing to allow a company to double charge for the same service then I say more power to the business who will take money they shouldn't be entitles to. A fool and his money...

So if I tether I'm a pirate stealing from Sprint?

Okay, how about the fact that I was sold my EVO4G with the promise that WiMax was rolling out and that I would get service eventually? In two years, I've never been able to use WiMax. I live 20 miles outside Los Angeles and it's never worked. Tell me why I paid an extra $10 a month for two years for a service I never received?

I have no problems tethering because I don't use it as my primary internet provider. I do use it when I need to (2-4 GB) a month, and I'm not paying Sprint for that.
    scipio11111 likes this.

Look. I could careless what any of you do, but the fact is.....

If YOU have to do something...anything...to circumvent the way something works to obtain a "service" for free.....especially if it's in a ToS...is stealing. No if's, ands, or but's about it. Period.

@jonathanm1978....yeah...if you "give" your service to your neighbors. It's stealing dude. When you sign up for cable, internet, or phone service, you sign up for service for a "single family" dwelling that only consists of YOUR adress. If it's an apartment, the service goes to that "single family" unit number.

Here's some info on this topic: arrested for stealing internet? - Bing

"I would think if someone showed you that the FCC has already ruled that just because a provider's data get's heavy use, it doesn't constitute damage to them. If someone was hacking the cellular network and using data, that's theft..people who have already paid for data aren't thieves.."

Yes, but they also said that that data belongs ONLY to the device in question unless your ToS states otherwise. Sprints ToS says...."no". Here's some more reading infofor ya....http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-feat...hering-illegal

Before you digress, only AT&T and VZW were made to add tethering to thier "tiered" data plans because they have a data cap in which the owner pays a certain amount of money for a certain amount of data. Sprint doesn't have to comply with the ruling because Sprint offers unlimited data with no data caps and therefore charge extra to add devices to that unlimited plan.

Just because you can do something doesn't make it right or legal. In the case, Sprint charges for tethering use and altering the "lock" by obtaining root to obtain that service for free for which they charge otherwise, constitutes theft. Breaking a lock on a house to obtain its contents inside is the same analogy...in fact, they are exactly the same. In the ToS, it says tethering without paying is prohibited but you would have us believe that just because you obtained root to take advantage of a service is OK. Gotcha.

I'm not calling anyone a pirate, thief, or anything thereof but when someone tries to tell me (or anyone) that just because you can do it (even illegally) is perfectly OK just because he/she says so is ludicrous in my book.

Chow.

Its only illegal if you get caught.... lol!!!!

"As long as there are suckers in this world willing to allow a company to double charge for the same service then I say more power to the business who will take money they shouldn't be entitles to. A fool and his money..."

@stl_joe......

I agree with you to a point. But not so much after that. See, Sprint isn't double charging for anything. They are charging you to use your unlimited data on those specific devices you agreed to. Adding extra devices to "use" that data requires a tethering plan that costs extra. I agree it should be free but it's not. That's the way it is.

And saying taking money they shouldn't be entitled to has got to be the liberal statement of the year. Why? Cause if that's the case, GM shouldn't charge extra for leather seats! Damn them! Dell shouldn't charge extra for a faster proc,more ram, and an 512GB SSD! Damn them too! McDonalds shouldn't charge for extra cheese! GTFO!!!!!

And this is no different. You want tethering, you have to pay for it...it's an extra.

Like I said before, I could care less what you do and I'm not calling anyone a thief or pirate...but I am calling it for what it is and admitting it is the first step to healing.....

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Its only illegal if you get caught.... lol!!!!
    So true!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Technically it is a violation of the users contract which is a violation of civil (not criminal) law. And yes, with deep packet inspection they can tell that the ultimate destination of a data packet is not the phone (unless your doing some sort of VPN tunneling). However Sprint really wants to retain customers so they are likely only going to ban someone if there is obvious/egregious abuse. Personally I've had no problem setting up a mobile hotspot on my old Palm Pre so my daughter could download an e-book before a flight and send a few messages to friends, but I wouldn't keep a torrent running on a laptop. Somewhere between those extremes is a not publicly defined line that you shouldn't cross.
    So, basically you've found a place of compromise (in breaking the terms of your agreement) that suit(s) your individual needs, (and you've justified it) but for those who have different needs, should be reprimanded. Whether you talk only a few Kb vs several GB , it's still breaking the terms of the agreement.
    Super-elite full-time dad

ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Look. I could careless what any of you do, but the fact is.....

If YOU have to do something...anything...to circumvent the way something works to obtain a "service" for free.....especially if it's in a ToS...is stealing. No if's, ands, or but's about it. Period.

@jonathanm1978....yeah...if you "give" your service to your neighbors. It's stealing dude. When you sign up for cable, internet, or phone service, you sign up for service for a "single family" dwelling that only consists of YOUR adress. If it's an apartment, the service goes to that "single family" unit number.

Here's some info on this topic: arrested for stealing internet? - Bing

Chow.
    Uh..there's no theft involved in how I give my neighbors internet. Just because I use a $30 Walmart router with custom firmware on it as a repeater doesn't mean squat. I can repeat my signal where I want and how I want..

And I haven't "signed" anything ..I'm not under contract for my internet. I'm not contractually obligated to a ToS. I own my modem, routers, and devices that connect to it.
    Thanked by 2:
    scipio11111 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    Uh..there's no theft involved in how I give my neighbors internet. Just because I use a $30 Walmart router with custom firmware on it as a repeater doesn't mean squat. I can repeat my signal where I want and how I want..

And I haven't "signed" anything ..I'm not under contract for my internet. I'm not contractually obligated to a ToS. I own my modem, routers, and devices that connect to it.
    +1

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

wow- I actually read all of that, and I feel like im watching the Special Olympics~

All i wanted to know was how i bypass the sprint lock for tethering- I am flashed to Boost Mobile, and really want to connect to my laptop~
    scipio11111 and Av8torGuy like this.

hahaha me too, I am just trying to connect to my tablet so when we go away we can watch some football. Not sure why people feel the need to remind others whats legal or not... Shut up sit down and you keep living your righteous life and let others live theres....

I used the bluetooth feat on Fox fi it work flawlessly but I'm no longer able to use it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This whole argument is hilarious. Are you Mr. Sprint? Do you think Sprint or other wireless providers are somehow being wronged here?? Because they somehow have our best interest in mind right? How about the "Stealing" sprint has been doing for 2-3 years now? $10.00 / month 4G data charge for any 4G capable phone, with no 4G service in sight?? If I am getting 4G and you want to charge 10 more dollars for this service, whatever. But paying for this service with out the technology even available to use it is ludicrous! I wont ever feel bad for moving the data I paid for from my phone to another device. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by djslickd View Post
    This whole argument is hilarious. Are you Mr. Sprint? Do you think Sprint or other wireless providers are somehow being wronged here?? Because they somehow have our best interest in mind right? How about the "Stealing" sprint has been doing for 2-3 years now? $10.00 / month 4G data charge for any 4G capable phone, with no 4G service in sight?? If I am getting 4G and you want to charge 10 more dollars for this service, whatever. But paying for this service with out the technology even available to use it is ludicrous! I wont ever feel bad for moving the data I paid for from my phone to another device. Sorry.
    You right about that.

palmpreboss likes this.

Well, I can't get it to work on my Sprint S III with Jelly Bean. The app says it's started, and then gives an error message. I'm not sure how the one person who says it works on his Spring S III got it to work.

Once my 14 day return privilege is over, and I'm sure I won't return it, I'll root and be done with it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

That was a waste of page 2 from captain Sprint. Although it IS a violation of terms of service lol.

Anyway, I'm getting a Sprint S3 from work soon. Fox fi needs to restart every 40mb or so with the 1.95 update on my HOX with the free version. Is this an issue with the S3 and Bluetooth work around? Does Fox fi even work on the Sprint S3 anymore?

Are you guys freaking serious? We're not allowed to tether without paying more money?

I remember in the 90's when home routers started becoming popular the ISPs were like wait a minute; if you have 3 computers on your network, you can't share the internet, you need to have 3 internet accounts. That BS got shut down pretty quick, so how the hell are cell phone companies able to get away with it?

ROM
    clean rom ics

ISPs did not care if you were using a router in the 90's or early 2000's
    The problem was, routers were really expensive and most people were buying hubs. A hub cannot use one IP address for all your devices like a router can. A hub is a dumb device. It is no more then a splitter for a Ethernet cable. What ISPs wanted you to pay more for was the use of the added IP addresses, and they still do. Check your own ISP. If you want a 2nd IP address, you have to pay more.

Routers are cheap now and it hard to find a real hub for sale in consumer stores (best buy, radio shack, etc). You can still find them in stores that sell gear for wiring up a business though.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by McPlot View Post
    ISPs did not care if you were using a router in the 90's or early 2000's
    The problem was, routers were really expensive and most people were buying hubs. A hub cannot use one IP address for all your devices like a router can. A hub is a dumb device. It is no more then a splitter for a Ethernet cable. What ISPs wanted you to pay more for was the use of the added IP addresses, and they still do. Check your own ISP. If you want a 2nd IP address, you have to pay more.

Routers are cheap now and it hard to find a real hub for sale in consumer stores (best buy, radio shack, etc). You can still find them in stores that sell gear for wiring up a business though.

Yes they did. Here are some people talking about it.

If the terms and conditions you agreed to when signing up with the ISP, said 'no sharing of internet connections' then you shouldn't do it.

And this was one of the conditions in the early days of the Internet, here where I live, but my current multi-port router was provided by my ISP, so sharing is now condoned, maybe even encouraged.
    @cornjuliox: I seem to recall that this restriction was even fairly common some years ago. I believe ISPs feared that people with multiple computers are likely power users who will use more bandwidth than "regular" users. Now that many households have more than one PC, these rules have changed.

Can an ISP forbid you from sharing an internet connection? - Super User
    Maybe you're not in the US, but NAT routers were on the news here because ISPs wanted people to have more than one account (not just IP). If you know ISPs, you should be shocked if they did NOT mind people using home routers in the early days. Obviously they would make a money grab like cellular companies are doing now.

Has anyone been able to connect FoxFi to their Windows 7 computer?

I connected foxfi to my mac but it runs extremely slow. I have good speeds in my area.

Version 1.40 wont work even if you had the apk file because the developer force you to update foxfi

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123