Battery won't charge when using navigation

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it. When I drive and use navigation my battery drains even though I have it charging and the battery has the little charging icon. I've tried both the usb port in my car and the car charger.

My original evo would be 100 percent charged after driving for hours with navigation and music and calls.

Any ideas. This could make me return the phone. I rely heavily on this.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It would usually charge.

Apparently it is using more than it's getting, to state the obvious. USB is generally a weak charge. Check the mA output of the 12v charger and see if you can find a bigger one. Also try repositioning phone in car for maximum GPS and network signal strength. Try powersave, turn off sync, etc - the usual battery saver stuff. I think what you're seeing is normal given the CPU load and GPS and screen on constantly. Let us know how it goes as this will be common scenario.

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am using the same charger that came with the original evo. I will try the battery saver stuff but I would like to avoid doing all that stuff.

Is there a better charger that i could use?

I also can't see the S3 drawing that much more power then the evo.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung phones only fast charge if you use a charge-only cable OR charger. This means grounding pin 2 and 3. I can't find a change only cable so I bought an USB adapter that grounds the pins for my Note. Otherwise your phone will only receive 500mA. This has been covered in the Note section on here and XDA. I will get you a link to the adapter later. If my Note charges with the screen on during navigation, the SGIII will too.

EDIT: http://www.satechi.net/index.php/cell-phone-accessories/chargers/smart-adapter-compatible-with-samsung-galaxy-s-usb-usb-adapter

Last edited:

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung phones only fast charge if you use a charge-only cable OR charger. This means grounding pin 2 and 3. I can't find a change only cable so I bought an USB adapter that grounds the pins for my Note. Otherwise your phone will only receive 500mA. This has been covered in the Note section on here and XDA. I will get you a link to the adapter later. If my Note charges with the screen on during navigation, the SGIII will too.

Thanks I will be looking out for it

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Would this apply to both USB port and 12v charging? I wonder if my Palm Pre 12v charger would do fast charge. It was the 'official' one from Sprint store. Is there a way to tell?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

A charge-only cable:

Amazon.com: Naztech Micro USB Charging Cable - BlackBerry, Cal-Comp, HTC, LG, Samsung, Nokia, and Sony Ericsson: Cell Phones & Accessories

Dave

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Would this apply to both USB port and 12v charging? I wonder if my Palm Pre 12v charger would do fast charge. It was the 'official' one from Sprint store. Is there a way to tell?

If you look at Settings > Battery when charging, it will say "Charging (AC)" or "Charging (USB)". What is not clear to me is if the (USB) indication comes from measured power draw or recognition that the phone has a USB connection to a data source. Take a look at this when connected to your car charger.

Dave

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If you look at Settings > Battery when charging, it will say "Charging (AC)" or "Charging (USB)". What is not clear to me is if the (USB) indication comes from measured power draw or recognition that the phone has a USB connection to a data source. Take a look at this when connected to your car charger.

Dave

Just to follow up: I tried a variety of car chargers I have - some very cheap ones in there - with a variety of cables and battery status always showed "Charging (AC)". Use same cables on my PC and I get "Charging (USB)".

Dave

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
So if I buy this adapter and use the USB port in my car I will be able to charge the phone while all of my apps are running?

Maybe, iff the USB port in your car is capable of supplying the juice! If the USB port in your car can produce more then 500mA AND you use that adapter.

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well going with that theory is there a regular car charger that will work?

Bottom line I need this thing to charge without crippling the phone by shutting everything down.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well going with that theory is there a regular car charger that will work?

Bottom line I need this thing to charge without crippling the phone by shutting everything down.

Like I said, you either need a high output Samsung "friendly" charger (that grounds pins 2 and 3) OR that adapter I mentioned, OR a charge-only cable (that grounds pins 2 and 3) OR modify an existing micro-USB you may have. Buying a new charger won't work, trust me. I am running a 3.1, yes 3.1 Amp charger from Rocketfish, beefiest charger Best Buy sells and my phone WILL NOT charge while using Navigation if I don't use the adapter. This is the case with most, if not all Samsung phones. Your phone will only receive ~500mA without one of the above, and ~960mA (hardware limit, no way around this that I know of) with the above. DO NOT use a charge-only cable or adapter in your car (assuming the USB does more than just charge--like play your iPod.) It may either damage the USB port on the car or the phone itself. Check with your manufacturer.

All that said, what is your charger rated for? I'm betting if it charged your EVO, it'll charge your SIII with above items.

EDIT: for $15 you can get that adapter AND a 2.1A charger (with great reviews I might add!) http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Light...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2028916

Last edited:

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Good info. I have noticed that my evo 3d and s3 would hardly charge if I use Bluetooth for listening to Pandora, use GPS and stuff, all at the same time. My car comes with USB port and a cig lighter, which I use to charge the phone with an adapter that fits an USB cable.
Edit,
Just tried to charge via USB hook up and phone says charging USB, while the cig lighter the battery charges with AC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38