Upgrade to Galaxy S3 in NJ?

rangers28

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone in the NJ/NY area own an SGS3 and can comment on your experience with 3G only?

I currently own a Motorola Photon 4G on Sprint, which i LOVE, but I can upgrade now and would love the SGS3. My only issue is that Sprint does not have LTE here yet, and I'm not sure if I will get the same enjoyment as I currently do with my MoPho.
I use my MoPho all day, and use my WiMax 4G whenever I can get a signal. The new MoPho Q is a very disappointing followup to the original MoPho, and I haven't heard anything about a MoPho LTE.

Any opinions on whether I should make the SGS3 upgrade and bite the bullet til LTE arrives here, or stick it out with my MoPho a little longer?

Any input is appreciated!!

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I live in Newark NJ. I had the S3 and returned it because the 3G network was weak and slow.....It was for whatever reason especially bad on the s3. The EVO lte performed better overall. I will be holding onto my upgrade till we see some improvement.

mc_gusto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
If you can't live without 4G speed wait til lte is launched. I have s3 and it's been mostly fine, but depends where in jersey you are. I had horrible signal and batt drain in Garden State plaza. But I'm fine in the city mostly.
Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Bkofman

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
3G seems ok to me, but it probably varies by location. You could get the phone and see for yourself. Sprint gives you 3 days to return it with no charge.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
There are some towns where i get over 2mb down on 3G consistently, yet the very next towns over i get 50k. It varies dramatically from town to town.

rangers28

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, went to Best Buy yesterday and made the jump! This phone is so big and slick that I couldn't resist!

Add to this the fact that I had the BB BuyBack program (which is now dead, unfortunately), which gave me $280 for my Photon, and it was a no-brainer. I price matched Radio Shack at $149 for the upgrade, so I walked out with my brand new S3 fo free, PLUS over $100 on a BB giftcard!! Woot!!

So far I have ZERO complaints. No dropped calls, data speed seems okay (haven't speed tested it yet tho), and more importantly....no rebooting!!

Can't wait for LTE, but I think I'll be happy in the meantime. Thanks for all your input everyone!!