How to Delete All Playlists in Google Music App

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Just what the box says. I've got hundreds of empty playlists that seem to have been auto-generated for old music that I've since deleted from my Google Music library. No playlists show up online but on my phone the list is so huge I can't make any new ones because it would take forever just to scroll to them. I'm rooted, but to matter what files I alter it seems to either keep the list of playlists or download them from an external server. Someone please tell me they know how how to get rid of these stupid things - I could delete them one-by-one but there's far too many for that; I'd be at it all day.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Still having trouble with this. The stupid app has so many playlists it lags the phone to death when I open Play Music but I've never made a single playlist before. Apparently that didn't stop something from auto-generating hundreds. I've even never been able to scroll down to the Bs in alphabetical order before.

EDIT: When I clear the app data from the app info page it repopulates the list when I open the app next. I think it's identifying ROM files and/or emulated music files (.gym, .nsf, etc) as playlists. I loathe programs that search the entire filesystem of a device for specific files. Do they really think I'm so stupid that I can't confine my music to a folder clearly labelled "Music"? That's why I stopped using the Gallery app in favor of one that I can exclude folders from. I wish I could find a better music app.

Last edited:

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
E-mailed Google Support. They say it's the Instant Play "feature" that's making hundreds of empty playlists with titles that have nothing to do with anything I know of on my phone and many things that aren't audio files. Of course, they say this "feature" can't be disabled and they can't be deleted, even though it lets me (albeit slowly) delete them individually.

So here's a better question: are there any better music apps, preferably that can access the Google Music cloud? I should probably just skip the cloud all together considering the 3G in my neighborhood isn't even fast enough to stream music...

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
E-mailed Google Support. They say it's the Instant Play "feature" that's making hundreds of empty playlists with titles that have nothing to do with anything I know of on my phone and many things that aren't audio files. Of course, they say this "feature" can't be disabled and they can't be deleted, even though it lets me (albeit slowly) delete them individually.

So here's a better question: are there any better music apps, preferably that can access the Google Music cloud? I should probably just skip the cloud all together considering the 3G in my neighborhood isn't even fast enough to stream music...

Recently deleted a lot of songs. Now I have empty playlists. I can only seem to delete 1 by 1.

Did you ever find a way to mass delete the playlists?

Issam Saby

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have had the same issue and as there were no solutions I created a Firefox Macro to delete all playlist by looping a simple script. If you are familliar with macros this should take you 5 to 10 mins depending on how many playlists you have. Here's the step by step.

1.Open firefox and download the Imacros add on (this could work on Imacros for chrome but I have not tried it)

2 Create new macro with the following script

VERSION BUILD=8890130 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
URL GOTO=https://play.google.com/music/listen#/pl/AMaBXylKUxEu8zkQPSmOyTQzaPARp8WLX_e11pB-QyflcV5-GIfrwkRclUm5ee8c2242DE3UDXafkSCb_s-Z3SHr3sE-EFWzIw%3D%3D
TAG POS=1 TYPE=DIV ATTR=CLASS:playlistDropDown&&TXT:
CLICK X=223 Y=633
TAG POS=1 TYPE=BUTTON ATTR=NAME:delete
WAIT SECONDS=2

3 Run and Loop the macro as many times as you have playlists.

Enjoy your fresh Google Play Music !

Cheers,

Issam