I will be rooting TONIGHT! Just a couple questions before I do....

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
1. How do I go about downloading the official Android 4.1.2 once it comes out OTA? Do I have to "unroot" or do some sort of special process?
2. How do I download a custom ROM onto my phone? Was thinking about a TouchWiz based ROM (like this one, with working multi-view); will probably run Nova over it though.

Thanks to all that help, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: I will be rooting tomorrow night! Just a couple questions before I do....

Get ROMs from goo manager, look for d2spr

Put them on your SD or external SD card and then flash in cmw or twrp

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Get ROMs from goo manager, look for d2spr

Put them on your SD or external SD card and then flash in cmw or twrp

Sent from yo moms house son!Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger

What is "goo manager". And how do I flash it, and what does flashing something mean? Sorry guys, I know I'm a NOOOOBBB, but I'm just learning.... slowly but surely lol.

EDIT/UPDATE: Nevermind, just realized it was an app and found it in the Play Store... but what is d2spr lol?

Last edited:

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Go to xda-developers.com and read read read and look up qbking77 on YouTube.

This message brought to you by the letters CM and the numbers 10.1

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Go to xda-developers.com and read read read and look up qbking77 on YouTube.

This message brought to you by the letters CM and the numbers 10.1

Yes. That is how I will be rooting tomorrow. I watched his tutorial on rooting earlier today just to get a grasp of what I have to do. I will probably watch it once more again tomorrow before I root and then again as I am rooting lol. Already downloaded all of the necessary files in Skunkape's post here.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Also guys.... before I root do I need to factory reset my phone? Also, do I need to do the same if/when I install a ROM?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

What is "goo manager". And how do I flash it, and what does flashing something mean? Sorry guys, I know I'm a NOOOOBBB, but I'm just learning.... slowly but surely lol.

EDIT/UPDATE: Nevermind, just realized it was an app and found it in the Play Store... but what is d2spr lol?

Its an app

There is also av website called goo.im I believe to download ROMs

Flash means to install a zip file in a 'custom recovery'

Sent from an orange potato......no, really

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Also guys.... before I root do I need to factory reset my phone? Also, do I need to do the same if/when I install a ROM?

Not on the sprint galaxy s3

When you install a ROM, you do need to factory reset, but as long as you back up your info, you will be right back where you were

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Not on the sprint galaxy s3

When you install a ROM, you do need to factory reset, but as long as you back up your info, you will be right back where you were

Thank you a lot. MUCH appreciated. Now, I hear a lot about this "Nandroid Backup".... do I just install the app after I root tonight and I'm good to go? Just wanna have a nice safety net in case something happens.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Thank you a lot. MUCH appreciated. Now, I hear a lot about this "Nandroid Backup".... do I just install the app after I root tonight and I'm good to go? Just wanna have a nice safety net in case something happens.

"Nandroid backup" is what you do in your recovery menu. It's not an app. It's an option.

Before you go and make a $200 brick, you should really, really read some more. All of the questions you asked has been asked and answered at some point or another in this forum.

Read, read and re-read. Use the "Search" function of both the forums and the threads. And Google is your friend if all else fails....

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

You only get to make a Nandroid Backup once you are rooted AND install ClockworkMod (or other custom) Recovery. You cannot do this rooted with a stock recovery...which makes me wonder why you would ever root without installing a custom recovery...

Your backup for messing up the root is to flash the stock jellybean tar file thru ODIN which makes everything stock again...only the apps that came with your phone, etc. MAKE SURE your contacts are all stored on Google and not the phone!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

You only get to make a Nandroid Backup once you are rooted AND install ClockworkMod (or other custom) Recovery. You cannot do this rooted with a stock recovery...which makes me wonder why you would ever root without installing a custom recovery...

Your backup for messing up the root is to flash the stock jellybean tar file thru ODIN which makes everything stock again...only the apps that came with your phone, etc. MAKE SURE your contacts are all stored on Google and not the phone!

Ahh I got a lil confused because I found this on the play store lol. So I install that after I root later, correct? And yes I am using this method from SkunkApes post and am choosing to go with CWM Recovery method. SO basically, if I f**k up the rooting process, or installing a ROM, then that will allow me to go back to stock without any issues, that's the point of that, right?

Also, if someone could answer my question #1, I'd appreciate that!! :)

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You make your nandroid from the custom recovery. You need to go to xda-developers. com and READ before you brick your phone. It sounds to me right now like you have no idea what you are doing. Which isn't a bad thing we were all there at some point. But if you educate yourself now about what you are doing it will make everything easier later on. And possibly save your phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
What GiantJay said, follow Skunkape's directions how to root your phone to the letter. Go to Youtube and watch QBking77 root his SPRINT GALAXY SIII as well so you can see what the process looks like. Don't install any apps until you have rooted and installed the recovery file (which is CWM).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Joe, I think you really, really need to do a lot more reading before you just jump in and root. At a bare minimum, read the entire thread GiantJay linked to (Skunkape's instructions). Then reread the first post, again. Maybe a third time, and make sure you really understand what it's telling you to do.

Then, when you're ready to root, do it slowly, reading each step again, carefully.

Rooting is easy. It's also easy to seriously screw up your phone. Flashing new ROMs is almost as easy, but also easy to turn your phone into an expensive door stop. I'm not telling you not to do it; I am strongly suggesting you make sure you understand what you're doing before you do it. This forum is littered with posts from people who bricked their phones by not carefully reading, understanding, and following the correct instructions for their particular model and carrier.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Appreciated that you guys care so much about me (well... my phone lol). I watched QBKings youtube on how to root SPRINT Galaxy S3 seen here:

I will be rooting TOMORROW as today went a little unexpected had 1 essay and a bunch of homework that I literally just finished at 2:30am (I hate college..). I will be watching that video again before I root, and then once again as I am rooting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer