Battery Drains ON AIRPLANE MODE!

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So I usually put my phone in Airplane Mode before bed (so the alarm goes off) and recently noticed the battery will drain completely still. I've also noticed my battery seems to drain pretty quick all the sudden. I think I've narrowed it down to GPS being active constantly (the icon in the Notification Tray always blinks). It even stays on when the phone is in Airplane Mode. I have no idea what app is keeping it on. Is there a way to tell? I disabled location sharing in everything I could think of. What else can I check? I attached some screenshots of the battery usage.

Thanks,
Brandon

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    89 KB · Views: 37
  • battery usage.png
    battery usage.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 34
  • gps.png
    gps.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 35

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think would prefer not to post the same question in multple threads, but unlike some forums no one goes crazy creating and enforcing all kins of trivial rules. Starting a new thread makes sense when it's a new issue, in whole or in part, or if an existing thread is old, or very long.

For the OP, airplane mode only affects the radios, and does nothing about running programs, background processes, or anything else. Looking at your screen shots, you have a lot of wakelocks. Something(s) is/are running in the backgound, keeping the phone awake. Check out Better Battery Stats or Wakelock detector to try to igure out what.

It also looks like your GPS was on and trying to communicate even during airplane mode. What location-based apps or services are you using?

Last edited:

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I just installed Wakelock Detector as you suggested.
Airplane Mode doesn't turn off GPS? I've disabled location services on G+, Facebook and other apps I thought were activating GPS. I use Beautiful Widgets so I disabled geotracking and set my location. Hopefully Wakelock will track it down! Thanks for your help!

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Cozmohoot, Maybe instead of being a forum Nazi, you could put forth your efforts into helping people? No? Maybe? So what, I replied to someone else having a similar issue, big deal! SMH

Last edited:

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
For the OP, airplane mode only affects the radios, and does nothing about running programs, background processes, or anything else. Looking at your screen shots, you have a lot of wakelocks. Something(s) is/are running in the backgound, keeping the phone awake. Check out Better Battery Stats or Wakelock detector to try to igure out what.

It also looks like your GPS was on and trying to communicate even during airplane mode. What location-based apps or services are you using?

Is that normal for Google Search???

Attachments

• Search.png
    Search.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 17
  • wakelock.png
    wakelock.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 17

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No. I'm at work now, but I'll take a closer look at this later, In the meantime, look at your Google now settings and see what sort of notifications you have set. Especially location based ones.

Cozmohoot

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Cozmohoot, Maybe instead of being a forum Nazi, you could put forth your efforts into helping people? No? Maybe? So what, I replied to someone else having a similar issue, big deal! SMH

If you didn't notice I said just curious.
Meyerweb already answered so no reason to call me a Nazi. Sorry u took it the wrong way

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
No. I'm at work now, but I'll take a closer look at this later, In the meantime, look at your Google now settings and see what sort of notifications you have set. Especially location based ones.

Commute sharing, Location reporting and Location history are all off in Google Now

Velizar Peshev1

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen. I don't know if S3 has bug in airplane mode, but maybe all you are fooled. My S3 Neo has a bug with a battery drain with airplane ON and airplane OFF no matter if it's on or off. My 2 weeks had like a hell - a lot of testing, replacing firmwares (custom and stock) with no result. Battery drain was every day. I tapped Battery in settings more than 100000 times. Android System, Screen, Android OS and more and more testing...... Yesterday I decided to replace the battery. Bought a new one and...... ALL BUGS GONE. In the Battery section everything is the same but NO battery drain anymore. My opinion to all of you is - REPLACE THE BATTERY. I think that battery drain on Airplane mode is a myth that is not true...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante