Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy S3 - Lock screen showing preview of text messages/ Vibrate sound

So with the update notifications of texts, missed calls (and probably other things that I don't know about because I haven't received a notification yet) are showing up on the lock screen, which takes away from the whole point of locking my phone to begin with. I still have to enter my pin to view it in my inbox, but the actual text message and who sent it shows up and I don't like that or feel comfortable with it. As well as the name/number of the person who called after a missed call. For texts, I did try to change the settings when I thought it was just a sms thing. I know I have to uncheck the box for the preview, but I do want the preview on my status bar, just not my lock screen. I don't understand why they've made it so that you have to have both and not one or the other. Anyone know how I can disable it for the lock screen but keep it for the status bar? Now that I realize it's notifications in general I'm guessing there's something else I have to do to disable lock box notifications all together, so does anyone know how to?

Also with the new update has the vibrate sound changed for anyone else when you receive a notification? I liked the intensity/sound of it before. Is there any way to change it back? Now it's just like two short heartbeats.

Thanks in advance. I'm still playing around and getting a feel for the new update but these are the first two things I noticed that are kinda annoying me.
    Last edited by lylatx; 11-26-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Nexus Ninja

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 - Lock screen showing preview of text messages/ Vibrate sound

I hate the lock screen notification. If you turn off the Preview Message setting in Text Messaging, it will not show the text message on your lock screen, but will still show a banner on the lock screen stating you have new messages. I have not found a way to turn it off completely.

As far as your vibration pattern goes, it can be changed in Settings | My Device tab | Sound | Vibrations
    Palm Treo 700w ~> Palm Treo 700wx ~> Blackberry Storm 9530 ~> Motorola Droid X ~> Samsung Galaxy Nexus ~> HTC Evo 4G LTE ~> Samsung Galaxy S3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 - Lock screen showing preview of text messages/ Vibrate sound

Okay thanks! The vibration thing doesn't bother me that much I just miss the way it was before the update. I can live with this though. But the lock screen notifications are terrible and are really annoying me. I don't understand what the logic behind that was and why they wouldn't at least give us the option to customize it to our liking. Hopefully they get enough complains about it that they decide to do something but I doubt it.
    Anyways thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by lylatx View Post
    Okay thanks! The vibration thing doesn't bother me that much I just miss the way it was before the update. I can live with this though. But the lock screen notifications are terrible and are really annoying me. I don't understand what the logic behind that was and why they wouldn't at least give us the option to customize it to our liking. Hopefully they get enough complains about it that they decide to do something but I doubt it.
    Anyways thanks again.
    I've been looking all over the phone to remove "Lock Screen Notifications". Even though I have the box unchecked, but still. I do not like "One missed message" showing up. I hope they do change this... Other wise. Time will have me adjust.
    =(
    I'm a nerd that can squat 500lbs... seriously
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I actually contacted Samsung about it and apparently it's part of the update and there's no way to change that for now. I seriously can't believe they wouldn't even give us an option to customize it for ourselves and now we're just stuck with it. Hopefully they fix this with the new update, this sucks.
    lherts likes this.

Can you swipe from the lock screen from the message notification to the actual messaging app like you were able to do before the update? If I get a text I want to be able to go directly to it from the lock screen like I used to be able to. But I can't figure out how.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well I lock my phone with a pin, and with the pin if I click the notification it asks me to put my pin number in first to unlock it. So I'm not sure how it works if you lock your screen regularly without a pin.

I don't like this feature at all. I have been trying to find a way around it. I hope we can disable it in a future update.

Angry Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 - Lock screen showing preview of text messages/ Vibrate sound

If anyone finds a way to get rid of that annoying notification on my lock screen please contact me and let me know! Having my calls, and texts on "display" really bothers me and I feel I don't have that privacy I like and had before.

Google is the new Apple: "We know what's best for you."
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Talking GS3 Lock screen Notification Preview fix

How to turn on or off new incoming text message preview?
    Kindly follow the steps listed below if you want to show or not the preview of the new message in the notifications bar:

Go to Apps through Home screen.
    Tap Messaging.
    Tap the Menu key.
    On pop up menu select Settings.
    Scroll to Notification settings section.
    If required, tap Notifications to enable this option.
    Depending on your current settings, tap Preview message to enable or disable this option.
    When the check box next to this option is checked it means the option is enabled.
    Tap Home button to return to the standby mode.
    Finish. Now every time you receive the new message, you will see the preview of the message on the notifications bar
    or you won't.

Thanks for the info. Did Samsung say when they will have the next software update?

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Google is the new Apple: "We know what's best for you."
    This is not a feature pushed by google. I'm pretty sure this is part of samsungs touchwiz overlay they package with all of their phones. Stock android has nothing on the lock screen, everything is added via widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by GloriaSAyala View Post
    If anyone finds a way to get rid of that annoying notification on my lock screen please contact me and let me know! Having my calls, and texts on "display" really bothers me and I feel I don't have that privacy I like and had before.
    the solution has been posted several times. I don't have 4.3, so I can't look at my phone to see, but I believe there is a setting in the messaging app that will turn it off. Search the S3 forums and you shoukd find it.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

This is absolutely the most retarded update I have ever seen. what no talent ***-clown decided that this was a good idea? You can either have the preview on the lock screen and the preview on the scroller, but not both. Seriously this is a crock....these two options should be alternately switchable.

After searching for a couple of days now, I found this app which allows the message widget to be turned "off" on the lock screen. None of the other solutions posted actually removed the widget, but only stopped the messages being displayed in the widget box. This still allowed the message box to cover the owner information. This is where I put a message to call my wife's phone if mine was lost. Having the message box cover this made it useless.

The app is Lockscreen Policy by Chislon Chow- November 25, 2013. I found it on Google Play Store. Also works for PIN locking.
    Thanked by 5:

That worked perfectly... thanks!

I have to admit that I was looking forward to Lock Screen Widgets. But they were disappointing. I just turned off the lockscreen and went to a third party app.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk Pro
    Man of La Mancha

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

What are you using if I may ask? trina,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by coachpelkey View Post
    What are you using if I may ask? trina,,,,
    Start.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk Pro
    Thanked by:
    pmgr01 

If you are rooted:
    Method 1.
    Install Xposed Installer APK , Open Xposed Installer, tap on framework and tap install. Then install Disable Samsung Notification Widget APK , activate the module in xposed framework and reboot.

Method 2.
    Install apps/details%3Fid%3Dcom.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms%26referrer%3Dutm_source%253Dgoogle%2526utm_medium%253Dorganic%2526utm_term%253D8sms&cd=1&ved=0CCsQmTAwAA&usg=AFQjCNEiWXN_NOPMyJFxAKpxQJ9ZZlGw9w&sig2=RHJfyTZhZqc9T-5TFQSIDw" target="_blank"> 8SMS APK is a beefed up version of the stock android messaging app. You can also use Hangouts APK it supports SMS now.
    For missed call notifications, you can't do much other than install lockscreen policy from the market. (only works on 4.3 and below) This will kill ALL widgets on the lockscreen (and notifications) So if you are trying to replace your lockscreen with something like dashclock it won't work... and no! There's no option to choose certain widgets, it kills them ALL. Here is the link: Lockscreen Policy APK
    Last edited by William Molina; 01-14-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    Thanked by:

I too am having this problem with the new update and I find it to be very frustrating. Does anyone know if you can turn your lock screen off completely to avoid the message popping up for the whole world to read and see? Like seriously why they allowed that to be made without an option to customize it is beyond me. I would have to say they are going to be getting a numerous amount of complaints!

The Lockscreen Policy app worked perfectly, no more pop-ups on my lock screen. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by neek49 View Post
    After searching for a couple of days now, I found this app which allows the message widget to be turned "off" on the lock screen. None of the other solutions posted actually removed the widget, but only stopped the messages being displayed in the widget box. This still allowed the message box to cover the owner information. This is where I put a message to call my wife's phone if mine was lost. Having the message box cover this made it useless.

The app is Lockscreen Policy by Chislon Chow- November 25, 2013. I found it on Google Play Store. Also works for PIN locking.

Quote Originally Posted by William Molina View Post
    If you are rooted:
    Method 1.
    Install Xposed Installer APK , Open Xposed Installer, tap on framework and tap install. Then install Disable Samsung Notification Widget APK , activate the module in xposed framework and reboot.
    Works perfectly, thank you.
    Andronote3 likes this.

Is there any way to restore having to screen light up briefly with the envelope icon when getting a text?.If my phone is on silent now i have no way of knowing if i am receiving a text. At least before the update my screen would light up with the envelope. Also my notification volumes don't seem to be as loud as before. Any help or answer would be appreciated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast