Desperately need some advice

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
So I love the NS4G. Could have gotten the EVO 3D for free but stuck by my Nexus. Unfortunately I'm on #4 right now. I'm not gonna go into full detail with the issues but Im wondering about the displays. Device #1 had the very crops colors with dark blacks, etc. Device #2 had a more washed out/yellowish looking display. Device #3 was beck to "normal" w/ deep vibrant colors. Yesterday a received my replacement (device #4) and sure enough this one looks washed out and has that yellow hue to the display. I honestly hate doing exchanges especially considering I have to run out and get a new zagg for each replacement. Since I have had 4 phones and 2 looked proper while the other 2 look a bit washed out I'm wondering if they've maybe used different panels or something during manufacturing. We saw this with the EVO and hopefully I don't have a faulty handset. I do notice a bit of lag on the 2 that have the crappy display but no other sign of them being defective. What do you guys think? Am I holding my 4th faulty Nexus or has there been some fluctuations in the manufacturing process? The EVO did switch displays at some point but unlike Samsung, HTC doesn't manufacture their own display so the NS wouldn't have different brand panels but maybe a different facility or something??

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
One other thing I'm noticing, text doesn't re wrap properly when zooming in on webpages and links get clicked on their own when surfing. For instance, when trying to enter the Nexus s 4G forums the device is auto selecting the Fascinate forums.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you need to try going into a store for your replacement where they can open it up and get it up and running for you. Should help you avoid having to keep returning your devices. You're either on a streak of bad luck, you're cursed or something is going on with your eyesight...I haven't seen a bad screen yet on any of the NS4Gs I've seen.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I've only had 2 NS4G's now, and while I definitely had 2 different screens, I wouldnt catagorize neither as "bad".

My first one was really dark with deep blacks. It had a bluish tint to it, which wasnt really noticible unless you caught it at an angle.

My new one, I would categorize as much more "normal". It did seem yellowish at first to me because I was used to the blueish of my first, but the more I look at it and compare it to other screens, the more "normal" I think it is.

lov3p1nk88

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean... I noticed that too. Ive been through about 5 of these phones and ive also compared it to others and i finally got a good one. I dont understand why there are so many different displays. If you don't have strong attention to detail, then it probably wouldn't bother you. My screen has nice blacks and whites. To me it's just right after comparing to multiple nexus s 4gs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I would say its more likely that the screens are all the same, but calibrated differently. If you're going to root, you can take care of this with Voodoo.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
runaway to the free evo3d, or develop expectations that are within the norm for the ns4g or any other device.

you can bet you will pick apart the evo, too.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
runaway to the free evo3d, or develop expectations that are within the norm for the ns4g or any other device.

Is that really necessary? Come on, we are suppose to be a supportative community here. Not bash each other when one has a concern.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Actually yes, it was necessary. Not only have I had to re purchase 4 $20 zaggs but each exchange needed to be done at the repair center taking up a whole lot of my time. As I stated I didn't go into detail regarding why I had multiple exchanges but it had nothing to do with the color of my display. Serious issues where the handsets weren't useable, such as frequent reboots, random and drastic drops in battery, etc. I've never had this kind of issue with any device except for the TBolt which took 3 tries to get a working unit. Also as stated above, I'm more interested in finding out if the color difference between devices is normal because I hate to even consider having yet another faulty unit. As a long time Sprint customer w/ 5 lines of service and someone who passes my devices off to friends and family (when possible) I spend plenty with the company and definitely want a working phone regardless of the particular store having had a bad batch or whatever could have caused me to receive multiple faulty units. Odds say its impossible but keep in mind tech is deeming them defective, not me. Matter of fact, looking back, I was much better off with device #1

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean... I noticed that too. Ive been through about 5 of these phones and ive also compared it to others and i finally got a good one. I dont understand why there are so many different displays. If you don't have strong attention to detail, then it probably wouldn't bother you. My screen has nice blacks and whites. To me it's just right after comparing to multiple nexus s 4gs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

This I'd exactly what I was looking for. A little confirmation that we're seeing differences from one device to the next. I also agree that neither is better but certainly different.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
A gentleman over at xda says what were noticing is an anomaly of AMOLED technology where no two panels are the same (think fingerprint) and so comparing one NS to another isn't an accurate representation of what either SHOULD look like.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
A gentleman over at xda says what were noticing is an anomaly of AMOLED technology where no two panels are the same (think fingerprint) and so comparing one NS to another isn't an accurate representation of what either SHOULD look like.

Same goes for any panel... No two panels are the same ; Plasma, LCD, and LED all suffer the same thing.