Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shabbypenguin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Some advice rooting - Windows

So I finally picked up the Nexus S 4G yesterday. I've had some issues unlocking and rooting it, so here is a bit of advice if you are also having trouble.

The phone doesn't have an SD card slot. Whenever someone mentions it for this device, they mean internal memory.

The drivers for this phone are not exactly "complete." You need to install a third-party app in order to get your machine to recognize the phone. Install the desktop version of .

On Cyanogenmods wiki, the version of Clockwerk they were using is >4.0. You need to use v3.1 in order to use Cyanogenmods ROM. I could NOT get the proper ROM to install using the later version. The Cyanogen logo would just continue playing back constantly using the non-4g model's ROM. Also, don't forget to wipe dalvik in recovery mode (advanced -> wipe dalvik).

IF you have used a bad ROM, but are still able to access Clockwerk recover, it is possible to put a new ROM on your /sdcard directory by mounting it. Just select the appropriate options through the recovery menu.
    Last edited by xxAuroraxx; 08-23-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Default Re: Some advice rooting - Windows

I have some advice too......use the one click method.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

But that doesn't really teach you anything...
    ROM Developer

Quote Originally Posted by xxAuroraxx View Post
    So I finally picked up the Nexus S 4G yesterday. I've had some issues unlocking and rooting it, so here is a bit of advice if you are also having trouble.

The phone doesn't have an SD card slot. Whenever someone mentions it for this device, they mean internal memory.

The drivers for this phone are not exactly "complete." You need to install a third-party app in order to get your machine to recognize the phone. Install the desktop version of .

Wrong, there are samsung drivers, and as a google device the drivers are included in the sdk. i use pdanet as a base for them cuz its a nice tethering program and at the same time installing drivers

On Cyanogenmods wiki, the version of Clockwerk they were using is >4.0. You need to use v3.1 in order to use Cyanogenmods ROM. I could NOT get the proper ROM to install using the later version. The Cyanogen logo would just continue playing back constantly using the non-4g model's ROM.

dont use any roms except nexus s 4g roms... and no you can use any version of cwm...

IF you have used a bad ROM, but are still able to access Clockwerk recover, it is possible to put a new ROM on your /sdcard directory by mounting it. Just select the appropriate options through the recovery menu.
    so... yea... your not really teaching anything anyways >.>
    Webchat support for the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've helped you then please buy me a beer
    chud likes this.

ROM
    deck1.3d/matr1x10.5cfs

I would try the rooting section tbh
    Motorola Q > Palm Pre > [HL]Google Nexus S 4G[/HL]
    More awesome than a shark high-fiving a bear while having sex with a unicorn during an explosion in space...

All the cool kids click the "Thanks" button on my posts...

I rooted mine using the guide on here, using Android SDK/ADB and downloading the CWM file, unlocked my bootloader and then flashed SU and away we went!

Only issue I had was locating the fastboot. In the guide it says to point your ADB command line to C:\android-sdk\platoform-tools\fastboot oem unlock. I kept getting an error saying fastboot wasn't recognized and then after asking a friend he said look around. I found the fastboot.exe needed located in the C:\android-sdk\tools\ folder

I just copied and pasted it over to the C:\android-sdk\platform-tools\ directory because there are needed .dll files in that directory to run with fastboot.exe and everything went off without a hitch from there.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

ROM
    stock

Trying to root mine - just hangs at fastboot oem unlock. CMD says waiting for device, phone just sits there on the bootloader and doesn't do anything. Not a root noob at all - but I'm stumped by this one. Any ideas??
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    I have some advice too......use the one click method.
    I second that !

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Sense 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    Trying to root mine - just hangs at fastboot oem unlock. CMD says waiting for device, phone just sits there on the bootloader and doesn't do anything. Not a root noob at all - but I'm stumped by this one. Any ideas??
    Shot in the dark... Did you turn on USB Debugging?

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by evoldroid View Post
    I second that !
    One-click = n00b = FAIL. Hate one-clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by A Risen Fury View Post
    Shot in the dark... Did you turn on USB Debugging?
    Yes I had debugging on lol. Figured it out- somehow didn't have the right drivers. Had to use the PDANet method.
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    One-click = n00b = FAIL. Hate one-clicks.

Yes I had debugging on lol. Figured it out- somehow didn't have the right drivers. Had to use the PDANet method.
    Windows 7 machine by any chance? If so there's your problem/answer.
    Paul

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

It doesnt have an SD Slot? wtf?

I thought all Android phones had SD slots.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    It doesnt have an SD Slot? wtf?

I thought all Android phones had SD slots.
    No the Nexus S 4G doesn't have a SDCARD. It has 16 gig built into the device and it "acts/functions" just like a removable sdcard.
    Paul