Reception venting!

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
First off, I want to make clear that this is the best phone I've ever owned. I love it. It is fast, very rarely hiccups, sexy, everything we all love about it. But, and this is important, my reception/data issues are driving me nuts. Over the weekend, it took the phone longer to pull up a podcast or google music beta than it did for me to install an aux input adapter into the BACK of my radio in my car. I had to pull the radio and thread the connection through the glove box. I kid you not, it took longer for the phone to find data than it did for me to do the physical swap.

How disappointed was I? Very. I have tried everything I have read on this phone including the newest radio. Now, the only thing I haven't tried is getting a new phone again. I read that there are a couple of different versions and maybe I'm hoping one is better than the other? I don't feel that it is the network either as my wife's Evo works great everywhere.

Can anyone think of a reason for me not to swap phones? Will Sprint store even swap it for me?

Thanks all. I feel a little better venting about this. Has been driving me nuts as I want to love this phone 100%!!

Edit for clarity: I feel that once I have a solid signal, I'm golden. However, switching from wifi to 3g, and or dormant to active data, I get crapped on. Grooveshark works great once it gets going. Google Music Beta (for the most part also).

Last edited:

actionjackson22

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I think if you complain enough to sprint they'll replace it for free, you just gotta annoy the **** out of them. Tell them everything, how the evo gets reception, etc.

macky

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
since the update my reception is terrible. can't stream Pandora in the car. forget about YouTube. I'm really starting to despise this phone. how can it be so cool but LAME

bbsadaj

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
if its at home does sprint still provide the air rave for poor reception? hope you can get the issue sorted out. having a sweet phone does you no good if it doesn't work.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am totally with you dopedroid.

I love everything about this phone and want to recommend it to everyone on Sprint, but the reception issues are unforgivable.

I'm on the verge of selling it and going with an Evo 4g. I don't need the latest and greatest and I can get one of those for under $200 off contract. I would definitely miss the SAMOLED screen :(

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i am in the EXACT same boat!!!! i love this phone but its signal sucks!!! my uncle has an evo gets a slightly better signal than i do, but it is still not perfect. what i would say is stick it out. i just got mine 9 days ago so i can switch it out for free. but i dont want to. the evo may have a better signal, but its screen sucks, its laggy when you compare it to the nexus... very noticable, and its outdated. sprint is expanding it 4g coverage as we speak, and although you may not have the best signal now, it will only improve and its not worth trading off for a inferior phone for an extra bar here and there. if your signal sucks, it isnt entirely the phone, its mostly the service in your area. patience lil grasshopper, it can only improve! im sticking it out with ya! just remind yourself how sexy the phone is, and if you really want confirmation, go play with an evo at a sprint store... its lag will scare you right out of there

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
p.s. ask for tech support next time you call sprint, and have them "provision" your phone and then reset the data, reprogram the phone. they did this for me and it surprisingly helped my signal a bit. springs up to 3 bars every now and again, never did this before...

Reactions: gtpimp97

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
p.s. ask for tech support next time you call sprint, and have them "provision" your phone and then reset the data, reprogram the phone. they did this for me and it surprisingly helped my signal a bit. springs up to 3 bars every now and again, never did this before...

It's worth a shot. Thanks for the info. This won't factory reset my phone will it? Just confused because you said reset the data and reprogram phone. Didn't know if you meant this or not.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If you do this; and, the data doesn't come back on for whatever reason; and, they can't figure it out. Don't let them send you a new replacement phone and charge you 35 dollars. They've done that to me twice and tried to charge me $35 for a replacement.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was for this; but, anyways: after about 10-15 minutes my data came back when I tried a profile update (even though it says it fails out on my end). This happened both times they did that months apart.

[Data being network data not phone storage.]

Reactions: gtpimp97

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
If you do this; and, the data doesn't come back on for whatever reason; and, they can't figure it out. Don't let them send you a new replacement phone and charge you 35 dollars. They've done that to me twice and tried to charge me $35 for a replacement.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was for this; but, anyways: after about 10-15 minutes my data came back when I tried a profile update (even though it says it fails out on my end). This happened both times they did that months apart.

[Data being network data not phone storage.]

yea i know right! the first day my data didnt come back on either, but i finally got transferred to a csr who knew his stuff and he said the phone needed reprogrammed for it to kick back on. another rep had previously just told me that it wouldnt kick back on unless you are in an area where the signal is stronger, lmao.definately some miscommunication going on over there. however, once we did the data reprogram, it worked beautifully. and NO this doesn lose and information on the phone, it only resets the data not the memory.

regardless it still isnt perfect. but no carrier is. in the last month i have spent over 1000 dollars in cancellation fees trying them all out. verizon, tmobile, and now sprint. att scares me, lol. they all lost calls, and had poor signals. some were better than others in certain areas but it all evened out. verizon was slightly better over all but not worth it for the price difference

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like I need to be making a call to Sprint tech support in my very near future. I hate opening the browser and it taking well over 30 seconds to get to my default google.com page. ARGH!

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The sluggish browser drives me crazy as well. No real reception issues for me.

YES YES YES!!! the browser is almost worthless. I wonder how much, if any, of it has to do with my reception issues. But yeah, browser sucks. Ive tried different ones too. Seems like they are all choppy.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
YES YES YES!!! the browser is almost worthless. I wonder how much, if any, of it has to do with my reception issues. But yeah, browser sucks. Ive tried different ones too. Seems like they are all choppy.

I found opera to be the best. But I don't like the way it renders some websites.

And how did Apple go around telling everyone F you your not getting flash; then, finally give in and give the iPhone flash. Not only giving them flash; but, making their flash 50x better than Android flash. The web experience on this phone needs a serious overhaul. Asap.

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So apparently me calling sprint to have them provision my phone equates to them having me power cycle it and then menu--sprint system updates--update profile....time to try again.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So apparently me calling sprint to have them provision my phone equates to them having me power cycle it and then menu--sprint system updates--update profile....time to try again.

One thing you'll learn with sprint reps is that they will tell you to do one thing. But you don't listen to them. Your supposed to tell them what you want done. And mean it. And be stubborn about it.

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I found opera to be the best. But I don't like the way it renders some websites.

And how did Apple go around telling everyone F you your not getting flash; then, finally give in and give the iPhone flash. Not only giving them flash; but, making their flash 50x better than Android flash. The web experience on this phone needs a serious overhaul. Asap.
IPhone has flash? When was this

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty