Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

mdmogren

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I was walking thru the mall with my Nexus S 4G and passed an EVO 4G demo booth. I had the demo guy do a speedtest on his EVO, he got 8.5mbps down and 1mpbs up. I did the test about 3 seconds after his finished on my Nexus S in the exact same location and got 3.2mbps down and 1mbps up.

Boo.

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
There IS a problem with this device.
So true! For those of you that haven't seen problems, give it time. I got my phone on Friday and never saw a problem. 5 days later I got the got grand tour, 1x...4G fluttering...unresponsive 3G all in same spots where I previously never saw a problem. This phone is a mess. I hope they fix it in 25 days, I really like this phone otherwise, but if it can't do the basics, it is useless. Heading over to SprintUsers to say they same thing.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Who cares if you have 1 bar or 4 as long as your phone is working? So many people freak out unless they see a full signal and its just stupid. I was in a restaurant today with ZERO bars and guess what? I made 2 calls, sent and received texts and went online with no problems at all. Even asked both calls if they could hear me and they said I sounded just fine, no cutting out or anything. While I DO agree the signal strength could be better, unless its making your phone unusable, I dont see the need for all the crying.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
call it crazy but i have a good feeling there will be an OTA fix for this...phone is still new..

Agreed. The Evo had several problems when it was released but Sprint fixed them within a month or so. New phones always have issues. The Tmobile version sucked with signal strength too when I was playing with it at BB.

Mpaige

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Who cares if you have 1 bar or 4 as long as your phone is working? So many people freak out unless they see a full signal and its just stupid. I was in a restaurant today with ZERO bars and guess what? I made 2 calls, sent and received texts and went online with no problems at all. Even asked both calls if they could hear me and they said I sounded just fine, no cutting out or anything. While I DO agree the signal strength could be better, unless its making your phone unusable, I dont see the need for all the crying.

++1

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Ahh... sanity returns to the thread. :D

I was at a Sprint repair center today asking about the 3G/4G/Wifi radios and they said Sprint is aware of the wifi problem, 3g/4G they are not aware of. So hopefully the wifi issues will be fixed in sort order. :cool:

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Could be worse. We could be told to just hold the phone differently or need a case just to get it to work right :D Sprint will be aware of it now. Lots of posts on the Sprint forums and one of the reps just posted...

Thank you all for the important feedback. At this current time, I will have the thread forwarded to our product team.

Thanks again!

--William

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ahh... sanity returns to the thread. :D

I was at a Sprint repair center today asking about the 3G/4G/Wifi radios and they said Sprint is aware of the wifi problem, 3g/4G they are not aware of. So hopefully the wifi issues will be fixed in sort order. :cool:

This is good news as I am now experiencing horrid wifi probmems. I had to disconnect and deal with 1 bar of service. At least that works.

I am not experiencing the 3g problems. Can't confirm 4g because I haven't been in anarea with it yet.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
At least with the Nexus we know it will be fixed. Won't be waiting around 6 months to get it fixed and have something else mess up instead.

I'm not worried.

rinsf

May 11, 2011
Visit site
That's assuming its a software problem and not a hardware problem. I don't know what they do if it's a hardware problem (deny the problem, offer to trade the devices, etc...)

At least with the Nexus we know it will be fixed. Won't be waiting around 6 months to get it fixed and have something else mess up instead.

I'm not worried.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm not worried.

I don't see google setting on their hands on getting the bugs worked out. I've been a guinea pig for Palm for 23 months with the Pre- so I'll wait a "little" bit longer, I use wifi a lot, to get the NS4G. :'(

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
That's assuming its a software problem and not a hardware problem. I don't know what they do if it's a hardware problem (deny the problem, offer to trade the devices, etc...)

Same exact thing happened with the Evo when it was launched and Sprint released a fix a week or so later. I doubt its a hardware issue.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Your phone trying to hold onto a very low signal is an extra drain on battery life as opposed to very good signal, that's why.

bouche123

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Could be worse. We could be told to just hold the phone differently or need a case just to get it to work right :D Sprint will be aware of it now. Lots of posts on the Sprint forums and one of the reps just posted...

Thank you all for the important feedback. At this current time, I will have the thread forwarded to our product team.

Thanks again!

--William

:D LMAO. I had a little problem with the wifes phone not connecting to 3g, but Sprint was able to help me get it fixed. I tried to enter the a code into the phone, but when updated the Sprint profile, removed the battery and restarted and everything worked fine.