Have Photon Questions? Ask 'em here

tiny2nz

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, On the led lights ....does it still blink when charging (unlike other handsets) also does the notification light time out or keep going till you reset em ala nextel from 2001???
thanks your Awesome
tiny:confused:

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
So, I am comparing my new Photon to my Samsung Epic. All software upgrade crap aside.... The screen on my EPIC blew the Photon screen away. Colors are more vivid and the difference between the pentile screen and my epic's AMOLED is evident.

Now for the good part... The Photon is obviously faster, and the UI is snappier. I've had little or no lag doing anything. Haven't delved into everything, but currently my integration with Google Voice isn't working as it did on the Epic. I hope to correct that soon enough.

The Music application has a cool feature I didn't know about. It prints the lyrics to known songs as you listen to them so you can Karaoke along.

Overall I am quite happy. I switched mainly because of the World capabilities.... We'll see if I stick around.

Orbiting234

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I am comparing my new Photon to my Samsung Epic. All software upgrade crap aside.... The screen on my EPIC blew the Photon screen away. Colors are more vivid and the difference between the pentile screen and my epic's AMOLED is evident.

See, I'm tempted to jump to the Photon from my Epic once my upgrade windows opens up in a few days. I really liked a lot of things on the Epic. That AMOLED is just gorgeous compared to the LCDs on every other phone out there. However some things with the Epic infuriated me (dismal battery life, pathetically slow OS updates from Samsung, completely non-functional compass, spotty GPS, hardware keyboard misses many keystrokes, etc). I wanted to love the Epic and while I really liked it, there were too many things that kept me from loving the device. The fact Sprint never pushed the phone hard and therefore didn't sell as many as say the Evo means that the community is small and no devs have been able to get CM7 on it as of yet. Having been turned off to Samsung by the Epic I don't see the need to wait for the Within which is why I'm awfully tempted by the Photon.

Hoping that the higher res on the Photon makes up for subdued colors and poor black levels compared to the Epic's screen.

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
See, I'm tempted to jump to the Photon from my Epic once my upgrade windows opens up in a few days. I really liked a lot of things on the Epic. That AMOLED is just gorgeous compared to the LCDs on every other phone out there. However some things with the Epic infuriated me (dismal battery life, pathetically slow OS updates from Samsung, completely non-functional compass, spotty GPS, hardware keyboard misses many keystrokes, etc). I wanted to love the Epic and while I really liked it, there were too many things that kept me from loving the device. The fact Sprint never pushed the phone hard and therefore didn't sell as many as say the Evo means that the community is small and no devs have been able to get CM7 on it as of yet. Having been turned off to Samsung by the Epic I don't see the need to wait for the Within which is why I'm awfully tempted by the Photon.

Hoping that the higher res on the Photon makes up for subdued colors and poor black levels compared to the Epic's screen.
It's also a matter of sharpness, though, The text on the Epic renders more clearly to my eye. I think the EPIC could have and should have been a home run for Sprint and Samsung. I also think that they won't repeat the same mistakes with the Within.

That said, the Photon is a great upgrade. The onscreen keyboard works well, and I have installed Swype on it as well, so I am a very happy camper. Some things I am not used to, but it will take a bit of time.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It's also a matter of sharpness, though, The text on the Epic renders more clearly to my eye. I think the EPIC could have and should have been a home run for Sprint and Samsung. I also think that they won't repeat the same mistakes with the Within.

That said, the Photon is a great upgrade. The onscreen keyboard works well, and I have installed Swype on it as well, so I am a very happy camper. Some things I am not used to, but it will take a bit of time.

Have you compared them in direct sunlight? I'm considering a Photon to replace my Epic as well, given some of the same things mentioned by Orbiting234 (in addition to disliking Samsung's email client to death). As long as the screen renders text crisp enough to read easily at normal distances (say, 12 inches or more), and can be seen at all in direct sunlight, then I'll be fine with it.

I also understand that color reproduction is more faithful. I really don't like how Samsung blows colors out on every device they make (which is one reason I like the screen on my Asus Transformer better than the screen on the Galaxy Tab 10.1)...

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Phil, How does the Proton treat the 1GB of RAM? Is the 1GB available for use all the time or does it only use 512mb until it's connected to the laptop dock, like the Atrix does? :confused:
This is a nasty rumor that needs to be addressed Phil. The webtop does NOT use RAM when not in use. I see this assumption made all the time, and many people will diss Motorola's devices because they think it is taking up precious RAM but it isn't.

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Does the back camera jut out like the evo 4g and evo 3d? Or is it flush or recessed? I have an evo 4g and use a case to protect the camera. I'd prefer not to use a case if I get this phone.

And it may be too early to ask but how is battery life?

Thanks.

Last edited:

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Phil,

1 - Is the camera on the Photon the new Sony Exmor R IU105F2 8MP camera module?
Sony debuts back-lit CMOS sensors for cell phones: Digital Photography Review

2 - In all the android smartphones you've come across, have you seen this new Sony 8MP camera used yet?

3 - Re: the FM Radio - Have you ever come across any Android device that has HD Radio instead of regular FM radio? Microsoft's old Zune MP3 player had HD Radio. Much cleaner digital reception.

Thanks!

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with paperino.

Fm tuner is there.
Cannot change dock color.
Want more customization with those things, home screens and even more smoothness, get launcher pro.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
1. How is the overall build quality.

2. How close is it to the Evo Desktop in capabilities "out of the box"?

3. Real world battery life?

4. Would you keep it as your daily device?

Last edited:

ktulu05

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Phil,

How would you compare this phone overall to the EVO? I'm thinking about upgrading from my EVO to this phone because I have the 1 year upgrade, getting a dual-core phone, and the world phone aspect (I travel occasionally to Europe).

1) How does the photon compare physically to the EVO? taller, shorter, wider, thicker, etc?
2) Battery life compared to EVO?
3) Screen quality compared to EVO?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shao61