Photon with Israeli carrier SIM

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My husband is not tech savvy has a Sprint Photon and is traveling to Israel. I know it can be used as is with the Sprint SIM there, but it is very expensive (I think $3 per minute).

I understand that he can get a SIM from an Israeli carrier to use in the Photon.

Since he doesn't know much about using the phone, I want to prepare him with what to do & expect. Once he inserts the Israeli SIM do any settings need to be changed, or will it automatically work on the Israeli carrier network? Only looking to use voice (maybe SMS if it will work), no data needed.

TIA

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Set wireless network to gsm only. Can be found menu - settings - wireless and networks - mobile network

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
We never wound up doing this when I originally asked, but now want to do so.

The Sprint Photon 4G is now no longer active on my account. I want to use it in Israel with an Israel sim card (Orange network). From everything I've read it seems that should work without a problem, but when I called Sprint (to unlock the sim of my Galaxy S4) I asked about the Photon 4G and they said that while it is not locked it cannot be used with a foreign sim card unless the phone is active on my account (which it is not). Is this true? Will it work to just put in the Israel sim card and adjust the settings appropriately or is Sprint right?

Thanks.

MrReverse

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why it would not work. Mine is currently being used here in the USA on AT&T with a sim my sister gave me so I could have a phone when my Sprint account was closed down due to lack of funds. I had to go through the hoops of unlocking the radios for use in the US, but that was all. From what I understand, outside the US, the phone works fine anyway with a local sim.